Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Concealed Carry Question

My friend and his wife, both PA residents, both have LTCF permits. He buys a firearm. Can she legally carry it? Does it somehow have to be in her name. IIRC there is not supposed to be registration in this state but I have heard of funny business by the State Police and Philadelphia as well.

Thanks

Stuart

Default Re: Concealed Carry Question

Yes she can legally carry it. I purchased the pistol my wife carries every day. Apparently It was easier for her to liberate mine instead of going and buying her own.

(Luzerne County)

The answer is yes, but that does not mean an officer will not hassle her if he runs it and it does not show up in her name.

Of course there is no registration. But they work off a sales database.

I have seen this first hand. The husband was carrying the handgun and it was in the wife's name. The officer would only return it to the wife. This was at an open carry event.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Funny Business ? Oh Lord ! Hodgie post is correct !

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    The answer is yes, but that does not mean an officer will not hassle her if he runs it and it does not show up in her name.

Of course there is no registration. But they work off a sales database.

I have seen this first hand. The husband was carrying the handgun and it was in the wife's name. The officer would only return it to the wife. This was at an open carry event.
    Here’s another question based on your reply. None of my handguns were purchased in PA. All were bought when I was a resident of other states. Say a PSP officer runs one of my pistols. He isn’t going to find anything. Will he give it back to me as he won’t be able to determine who purchased it or when?

Stuart

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    Here’s another question based on your reply. None of my handguns were purchased in PA. All were bought when I was a resident of other states. Say a PSP officer runs one of my pistols. He isn’t going to find anything. Will he give it back to me as he won’t be able to determine who purchased it or when?

Stuart
    That might well depend on the individual officer.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Stuart
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That might well depend on the individual officer.
    Unfortunately that may happen, and it's complete BS.

There is no requirement to do anything with handguns that were purchased while you were a resident of a different state. Some people suggest paying the money to transfer your carry guns to an FFL, then back to yourself, to get them 'in the system' so you avoid any questions of ownership on the side of a road during a traffic stop. Honestly unless it were a relatively expensive firearm I wouldn't bother [In principle, I hate going 'above and beyond' an already existing infringement].

To your original question - yes your wife may carry your gun and vice versa since there's no transfer requirement between husband/wife, parent/child, or grandparent/grandchild. Again you may run into the same BS as described above.

Stuart
    As a recent "return resident" to PA, after 31 years in DE, they would have a very difficult time ID'ing any of my CCW's.

As to them not returning any of them to me, trust me that lawyers would be involved immediately.

I also can't imagine how they could justify their actions, by not returning it to me.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwt1405 View Post
    As a recent "return resident" to PA, after 31 years in DE, they would have a very difficult time ID'ing any of my CCW's.

As to them not returning any of them to me, trust me that lawyers would be involved immediately.

I also can't imagine how they could justify their actions, by not returning it to me.
    Sure but unfortunately winner does not get his thousands in legal fees back as part of the settlement. They suffer no penalties for violating our rights.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Sure but unfortunately winner does not get his thousands in legal fees back as part of the settlement. They suffer no penalties for violating our rights.
    One reason you keep your records even if it is 30 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast