Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default AR Pistol Build for Car Gun

If I didn't live in Pennsylvania at all, I'd have very little interest at all in a shorter-than-16 inch AR build. 223/556 is already kind of anemic, but it's ubiquitous. I'm 6'2 so all things considered a mid-gas 18 inch barrel build is perfect for me as a do-all gun.

We're in an election year, though & my commute home from work requires a drive through Allentown. I don't feel like arguing over what "separate compartment" means with regards to ammo storage with an officer of the law (Pennsylvania law requires rifles and ammo to be stored in separate compartments of the vehicle during transport.)

I'd like to be able to have something in my vehicle with a little more punch than my EDC.

AR Pistols are covered under my LTC/CCW permit.

What's the maximum barrel length I can have & nor run afoul of the law.

Is it overall length (oal) & a "less than 16 inch barrel" or does OAL get factored separately.

I know at some point it's considered a "firearm" but not a rifle.

Anyway, what do the legal-beagles have to say on this one?

Ideally I'd like to do a 14.5 inch build, Sba4 "brace", and a JP Enterprises FH. I"d only go with a shorter barrel if that's what the law mandates.

Thank you.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR Pistol Build for Car Gun

I think you're good to go with that plan.

Per the UFA, the definition of a 'firearm', and what would be covered by your LTCF to be loaded in a vehicle:
    The provisions contained in subsections (a) and (c) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or any firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    Note the logic operator "or"... If it's a pistol with barrel less than 15" OR any firearm with OAL less than 26" then it's a "firearm" by definition in PA.

Also now for federal law, with the 14.5" barrel you'll reach 26" OAL so if it's your thing, you can put a vertical grip without making it an AOW.

Safe travels. May I suggest you get a good quick access safe and bolt it into your trunk?
    Last edited by jthrelf; January 13th, 2020 at 10:08 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Safe travels. May I suggest you get a good quick access safe and bolt it into your trunk?
    That would be the plan as my place of employment is also a "gun free zone".

(Allegheny County)

If you don't want a puny 5.56 and are worried about ballistics with a short barrel, go "manly" and do it in 7.62x39.
    I'm told that short barrels are not as detrimental to velocity with that caliber.
    I did mine with a 7" barrel. It's like a 9mm PDW on steroids.

You may prefer the longest barrel possible while remaining a pistol though. We all have our own ideas of what is best for us. For a vehicle, I'd want "SHORT", but that's MY vision of ideal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If you don't want a puny 5.56 and are worried about ballistics with a short barrel, go "manly" and do it in 7.62x39.
    I'm told that short barrels are not as detrimental to velocity with that caliber.
    I did mine with a 7" barrel. It's like a 9mm PDW on steroids.

You may prefer the longest barrel possible while remaining a pistol though. We all have our own ideas of what is best for us. For a vehicle, I'd want "SHORT", but that's MY vision of ideal.
    Love 7.62x39. That's why I have my AK, SKS, & CZ 527 Carbine.

Sticking with the "homeland" cartridge for defense options. Considered going 6.5 Grendel but decided against. Just want the most common round/parts compatible options for something I'm staking my life on.

I like where your heads at though.

Oh, and I hate 300BO. It doesn't need to exist.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JS8588 View Post

Sticking with the "homeland" cartridge for defense options. Considered going 6.5 Grendel but decided against. Just want the most common round/parts compatible options for something I'm staking my life on.

Here's my 7.62x39 pistol build thread.
    They aren't the unreliable shooters that they were in the past.
    With the right firing pin and proven mags, they run well.

I'm not into suppressors, so 300BO is of no interest to me either.

(Westmoreland County)

Your concerns are exactly why I built a 45 pistol AR that runs on the same mags as my EDC Glock. It does lack the punch of. Rifle caliber, but it is stupid accurate and hits at 50 yards are darn easy. May be hard to justify the distance in a self defense scenario, but I'm ready.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JS8588 View Post

Id go pistol caliber.

Cheaper ammo, bigger bullet, same punch out of a shorter barrel. (In regards to 223/556)

Also, check out the kentri short buffer system. Supposed to cut your buffer setup length in half.

I wanna do a surpressed 9mm build using the kentri buffer and the sb tactical brace(collapsible wire brace. Sort like a micro stock)

I get wanting something chambered in the 'homeland' caliber but is this the right firearm to fulfill that role, given your needs?
    Sounds like your best build for that is the 18" setup you mentioned. With something better to fit the role of car gun.

The prevalence of 9mm glocks is the driving factor behind me wanting to do my 9mm subgun build in glock mags.
    Last edited by icp4life162005; January 14th, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

(Bucks County)

Ordered the lower for it last night. One of these https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...dextrous-lower
    Ordered from a different site. Had a coupon & free shipping. ~$125

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post

Cheaper ammo, bigger bullet, same punch out of a shorter barrel. (In regards to 223/556)
    I disagree with that. 5.56 is going to still roughly double the energy of 9mm, even out of a 10.5" barrel. Not saying a 9mm PCC isn't viable for defense, but it's not even close to the same punch as the 223/556.

147gr 9mm projectile at 1250fps = 510 ft. lbs. energy
    64gr .223 projectile at 2600fps = 961 ft. lbs. energy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast