Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 145
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,367
    Rep Power
    21474860

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think that tables are much above flea market prices. I'm thinking that they're like $35/ea.
    100 bucks I think they are.
    Edit: Didn't see marine55's post.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    942240

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    My wife tried the show selling jewelry a few times. Granted, it is not the venue for it but neither are pickles and pink bags. Let me just say this. They can give you the tables for free and you still won't make money. But hey, there are vendors who are there every time with half dozen tables so somebody is selling.

    making money is tough at any show, however this is the best venue for me as the crowds are buying at this show. I will tell you that you need to price your items comparable to internet shops which cuts your profit margins to about 8% or less sometimes. ONLY because you get a ton of guys that stand at your table and while there, immediately pull up "buds gun shop" and either ask you to price match or be a their whole sale prices. or they come up with some BS line about how their dealer will give the same gun for $50 less (meanwhile I know that my markup is only $25 so the other "dealer" would be losing money) and they ask you to price match it. everybody is always trying to get one over on gun dealers for some reason. I wish I could use their same tactics when I get a hotel room or pay tolls, buy dinner, or rent tables.....but none of those folks would ever discount something for me. some dealers have outrageous prices on their stuff....I get it. but some guys like me, price stuff below internet prices, and people still ask for more. I have seen some dealers sell junk guns for more than my correct original finish gun is marked at. I have seen guys pick up a $5000 rifle and look at it for 5 seconds and tell me..."I'll take it". I have seen people walk past a $1200 rifle that I have for sale for $950 and it doesn't sell. and then I have seen guys complain about "lots of high priced guns" or "lots of dealers were proud of their items". But, not many people will ever sell their stuff to a dealer so they can make money on it....they always need to get top dollar for their stuff, but need to beat a dealer up so they can buy at a deal. I love being a gun dealer.....its probably the best job I ever had. I get to talk with some very nice people each weekend. I have fun at the shows, and I get to buy guns I never thought I would be able to get. but the most fun I have is watching the guys walk past my table with their wife or girlfriend and seeing that huge uncontrollable smile on the guys face when they see the Barrett 50 cal on my table. then I look at the lady standing beside them all stern faced and "don't you dare" look in their eyes!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,367
    Rep Power
    21474860

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    I got a good deal at the last show, the vendor (Authority arms) knocked off 25bucks from the price,
    on a gun that no doubt was going to be sold that day. Thanks AA.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    making money is tough at any show, however this is the best venue for me as the crowds are buying at this show. I will tell you that you need to price your items comparable to internet shops which cuts your profit margins to about 8% or less sometimes. ONLY because you get a ton of guys that stand at your table and while there, immediately pull up "buds gun shop" and either ask you to price match or be a their whole sale prices. or they come up with some BS line about how their dealer will give the same gun for $50 less (meanwhile I know that my markup is only $25 so the other "dealer" would be losing money) and they ask you to price match it. everybody is always trying to get one over on gun dealers for some reason. I wish I could use their same tactics when I get a hotel room or pay tolls, buy dinner, or rent tables.....but none of those folks would ever discount something for me. some dealers have outrageous prices on their stuff....I get it. but some guys like me, price stuff below internet prices, and people still ask for more. I have seen some dealers sell junk guns for more than my correct original finish gun is marked at. I have seen guys pick up a $5000 rifle and look at it for 5 seconds and tell me..."I'll take it". I have seen people walk past a $1200 rifle that I have for sale for $950 and it doesn't sell. and then I have seen guys complain about "lots of high priced guns" or "lots of dealers were proud of their items". But, not many people will ever sell their stuff to a dealer so they can make money on it....they always need to get top dollar for their stuff, but need to beat a dealer up so they can buy at a deal. I love being a gun dealer.....its probably the best job I ever had. I get to talk with some very nice people each weekend. I have fun at the shows, and I get to buy guns I never thought I would be able to get. but the most fun I have is watching the guys walk past my table with their wife or girlfriend and seeing that huge uncontrollable smile on the guys face when they see the Barrett 50 cal on my table. then I look at the lady standing beside them all stern faced and "don't you dare" look in their eyes!
    I try not to act the asshole at the shows, I know you're not getting rich and a couple of dollars isn't going to change my life any. When I see the guy who wants $60 for his .338 WINMAGS I just say, "no thanks" and he still gives me dirty looks. I find them at more like 20 from time to time, some are partial boxes but I'm accumulating them right now, not shooting them. If I was looking to buy a big priced item I might ask if you can do anything on the price, but that's about it.
    His name was Duncan Lemp

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North West, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    I've run across the reasonable dealers and the real tools at the shows as well as seeing the jerk customers.

    It this stage I buy accessories I could use versus actual guns. I like the idea of taking cash and having no electronic record of what I buy.
    They call me "Simple Jack".

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,666
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Why do people have tables full of stuff that's not for sale?

    No price tag means not or sale , right?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,936
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    I factor in no shipping costs in a FTF price. I also consider the travel time, tolls if any, and the $12 admission I paid to get in.

    But, most importantly, if it is a cash purchase, it doesn't show up on the credit card report, which she-who-must-be-obeyed OCD-scans. That is definitely worth a premium! (evil smirk here- X)

    Annoying to me is the sign DO NOT HANDLE WITHOUT PERMISSION. What is the difference between my asking and handling it and my handling it while you are watching me?
    Legislating to prevent people's acts is fantasy

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I factor in no shipping costs in a FTF price. I also consider the travel time, tolls if any, and the $12 admission I paid to get in.

    But, most importantly, if it is a cash purchase, it doesn't show up on the credit card report, which she-who-must-be-obeyed OCD-scans. That is definitely worth a premium! (evil smirk here- X)
    It sounds like you need my financial advice. 1) Have your own bank account into which your retirement funds are directly deposited. 2) Have your own credit cards in your own name, not both of yinz's. 3) Tell her to mind her money and you'll mind yours.
    His name was Duncan Lemp

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    814, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    989
    Rep Power
    6926538

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It sounds like you need my financial advice. 1) Have your own bank account into which your retirement funds are directly deposited. 2) Have your own credit cards in your own name, not both of yinz's. 3) Tell her to mind her money and you'll mind yours.
    All of that advice is closing the barn door AFTER the horses got out

    If a guy was smart …. there'd be no wife in the first place...…………………

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    lewistown, Pennsylvania
    (Mifflin County)
    Posts
    669
    Rep Power
    12507820

    Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

    I use gun shows mostly to find parts , stocks sights etc. I have bought some guns there . If vendors have stupid prices ,I keep on going.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Leesport Gun Show - Jan 4th & 5th, 2020
    By Noah.A in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 5th, 2020, 01:15 PM
  2. Altoona Gun Show, Jan 4th - 5th, 2020
    By Noah.A in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 5th, 2020, 10:42 AM
  3. Lebanon show Jan 4-5 2020
    By Rural Ruger in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 31st, 2019, 02:35 PM
  4. Replies: 81
    Last Post: May 13th, 2013, 07:19 PM
  5. OAKS GUN SHOW! LARGEST SHOW IN THE AREA!!
    By Fartsarc in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: March 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops