Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Angry Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

Arrived late (around 1:30) on Friday and got on tail end of entry line.
    Was busy right to closing time at 7:00.

For a smaller Oaks show, I was surprised at the unusually large number of vintage offerings - Colts, Smiths, Walthers & full autos were plentiful - more than usual.

Prices for these guns are never cheap, but most dealers are there to sell ... I was able to strike some deals.

Also appreciate one of the guys at Sarco booth who helped me out with some thread protectors - extremely patient & helpful.

My biggest pet peeve at Oaks is the usual long line waiting to get in when the show opens.
    Those in line are most likely the most enthusiastic & regular supporters.
    To speed up entry, it shouldn't be too difficult to have 2 people taking money at the door for the first 30 minutes when the show opens.
    I think the chap rubber stamping hands could handle both lines.
    It would be a great service to those devoted attendees for the mere cost of an admission or 2.
    Maybe the 2nd line could be for those with exact change in hand.

Oh wait .. that reminds me of a 2nd pet peeve .. those folks who wait in line for an hour and then get to the entry and start fumbling thru their pockets to get their admission $$ ... they never have exact change either!!
    Last edited by mokoitis; February 8th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

I may go Sunday - what is the policy on CCW - or better yet - are they wanding or checking at the door?

UPDATE - Sunday

Meh
    Not much to be impressed.
    Local PoPo with the "firearms must be checked table" zip-ties......rigghhtttt.
    Last edited by 2DogsBarking; February 9th, 2020 at 03:08 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsBarking View Post
    I may go Sunday - what is the policy on CCW - or better yet - are they wanding or checking at the door?
    Don't Show, they won't know...that is my policy.

(Bucks County)

I went today. Didn't buy more than a soda and pretzel, but it was nice to wander around. Caught with with Scottsguard and some other friendly folks. Considering I bought 2 things last December... maybe it's just as well that I came home empty handed.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Anyone have any idea what a Chinese SKS w bayonet would go for these days in good condition? Considering walking around with mine w/ a good ole stick-n-flag setup if I go tomorrow.
    Is it a pre-Clinton one? The Norincos that were plentiful will sell fast at $350 if it is original with all matching numbers. If you're willing to wait for the right customer, you can get more.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Not now they aren’t lol. I do rememberWhen I paid under $100 for my 91/30 mosin nagant. Last I saw they’re $300ish now which is unbelievable to me.
    I read it wrong, I thought just the bayonet not the whole rifle. Thew lowest Ive seen
    was around 450.00 for matching chicom, 900-1k for russian (not that they're selling at that price though)

(Bucks County)

I'm trying to locate a vendor at the Oaks Show who was selling hand forged knives. He goes by the name Silver Eagle, and he's from the Carbondale area.
    If anyone has his contact info, please shoot me a PM.
    thanks
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Berks County)

Skipping it this time. No deals to be had, so for 3 of us a it's not worth it for a $33 walkabout.

Went to the show yesterday and had a very enjoyable time. Actually left with more money in my pocket than when I entered.....I think that is a first! Vintage smith's and colts were present, but boy the prices are high! Everyone selling seems to think their gun is that pristine example with 35 pictures on gunbroker with a national audience bidding on it.

(Montgomery County)

Got there around 10:30 on Saturday and was surprised there was a line of about 20-30 people in front of me ending just at the door. A minute later it stretched probably another 20-30 people outside beyond where I could see. For a good while the aisles seemed crowded. I’m the type that likes to try to see everything in case there’s a deal sitting somewhere I don’t want to miss. There were plenty of occasions where I either had to wait to see a case or just moved on because I was tired of waiting. Lots of groups of guys where one might have been interested in something while his 5 buddies take up the rest of the table not looking at anything or looking at their phones.

Prices were all over the place for some guns. Some reasonable and some ridiculous. There were a lot of those Taurus .22 pistols for anywhere from $250 up to almost $400. I did see a Canik TP9SFX with optic for $599 I seriously thought about. Wound up walking almost the whole show without spending a dime until I found a No4 Mk1 Enfield that convinced me to take it home from GG Arms and his ammo dealer buddy cut me a pretty decent deal on .303 Brit for it. I saw some nice Arisakas at one particular table and I probably would have gotten one if I hadn’t just gotten the Enfield.

Ammo prices seemed good for cases of popular calibers, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, etc. terrible for individual boxes especially for some less popular calibers, like $25 for PPU tokarev. I was looking for bulk range .357 brass but didn’t really see much bulk range brass of any kind. Overall it was an enjoyable day walking around with my son looking at cool stuff and now there’s one more for the collection.
    Last edited by carrguy1; February 9th, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast