Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: 4473 Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default 4473 Question

    I have a question related to the PICS and NICS.

    When you fill out the 4473, how important it the County of residence question? I've purchased 3 firearms recently. One I had put down Westmoreland county because I thought that's where I lived...BUT then I went a couple months later and bought another, and when I put my address in, it AUTOMATICALLY set the County as Fayette on the computer 4473 form. So I left it as Fayette assuming that the computer program was right and I was wrong the first time. Since then any firearms I bought I have used Fayette County.

    Also, I recently looked through all my record of sales for the guns I bought, and one doesnt even have a county printed on the form? (That's the one the computer automatically set it to fayette)

    I guess I'm basically asking what I should do? I dont want to be made a criminal and get a visit from the alphabet bois for living nearly right smack-dab on the border of two counties and going with the county the computer told me while filling out the form.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania
    (Indiana County)
    Age
    72
    Posts
    5,483
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mammrm View Post
    .... I had put down Westmoreland county because I thought that's where I lived... BUT then I went a couple months later and bought another, and when I put my address in, it AUTOMATICALLY set the County as Fayette on the computer 4473 form.
    So you don't know where you live? Where do your local taxes go? What school district are you in? How does one not know what county they live in?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    The system created for the form autofills my county, and last time I checked my pay stubs, it doesn't tell me exactly which county my stolen money goes to.

    You'd think for trying to do something right people would be a little less condescending, but hey, that's the internet I guess.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East side of the ANF, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,890
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    This link takes you to southern Westmoreland Co. on Google Maps:

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...4b173eaa8a0232

    Enlarge it, or otherwise manipulate it to find where your home is on the map, being mindful that the red line is the county line. Your location says Mt. Pleasant, the entirety of which lies within Westmoreland. But you may live outside the Mt. Pleasant borough limits but your mailing address is still Mt. Pleasant.

    HTH,

    Noah
    Currently seeking a sufficiently witty statement for 2020.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    This link takes you to southern Westmoreland Co. on Google Maps:

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...4b173eaa8a0232

    Enlarge it, or otherwise manipulate it to find where your home is on the map, being mindful that the red line is the county line. Your location says Mt. Pleasant, the entirety of which lies within Westmoreland. But you may live outside the Mt. Pleasant borough limits but your mailing address is still Mt. Pleasant.

    HTH,

    Noah
    I guess my question is more of, I passed the background checks with both counties and apparently nothing on the one? So..what do I do from there? Because if there was a problem or they needed to further review them I wouldve been delayed or denied?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East side of the ANF, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,890
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    You were issued an approval number for those firearm purchases/transfers. As of now, any paperwork issue is on the FFL or PICS. Fuggedaboudit. At worst, the transfering FFL may call or mail you for a clarification following a BATFE compliance audit of his records, but I doubt it.

    My earlier post is more concerned about your future transfers. Find out where you truly live so that future 4473s and SP4-113s have the correct entry for "county."

    Noah
    Currently seeking a sufficiently witty statement for 2020.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You were issued an approval number for those firearm purchases/transfers. As of now, any paperwork issue is on the FFL or PICS. Fuggedaboudit. At worst, the transfering FFL may call or mail you for a clarification following a BATFE compliance audit of his records, but I doubt it.

    My earlier post is more concerned about your future transfers. Find out where you truly live so that future 4473s and SP4-113s have the correct entry for "county."

    Noah
    Thanks for the info clarifying.
    Just wanted to do the right thing.
    I've moved quite a few times in the past 2 years and I'm finally in a permanent location. Was an honest mistake and should I call the FFLs first? I've read elsewhere people have done that to correct mistakes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,852
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mammrm View Post
    The system created for the form autofills my county, and last time I checked my pay stubs, it doesn't tell me exactly which county my stolen money goes to.

    You'd think for trying to do something right people would be a little less condescending, but hey, that's the internet I guess.
    You are not serious right ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the can, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mammrm View Post
    Thanks for the info clarifying.
    Just wanted to do the right thing.
    I've moved quite a few times in the past 2 years and I'm finally in a permanent location. Was an honest mistake and should I call the FFLs first? I've read elsewhere people have done that to correct mistakes?
    Welcome to the PAFOA.
    You can find your county via the PA voting services website.

    Confirm your voter registration here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...ionstatus.aspx
    It will ask for your county, it will come back as correct when you enter the right one, and it will print all of your information, county, address, etc.

    If you are not registered to vote, then register here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...plication.aspx
    When it asks for your county it will only accept it if your address and county match, so you will discover your correct county by process of elimination.

    Please vote in every election every year to protect your 2A rights in Pennsylvania.
    2A voter guides are posted in PAFOA before every election here: http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

    Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,904
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: 4473 Question

    Do you know where you are yet?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 26th, 2018, 07:39 PM
  2. 4473 question, PICS vs NICS
    By 3darcher2 in forum General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: December 14th, 2017, 07:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
  4. Question about residency on line 13 of form 4473
    By Ye Olde Glock in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM
  5. Got a question about the 4473
    By charles451911 in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops