Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Aquila 40gr .22LR good ammo?

Been shooting CCI. Very clean burning. Wondering if anyone has experience with Aguila 40gr plated, preferably in a 16" barreled semi-auto, but any experience shared is appreciated. The price of 500 or more, shipped, is tempting. Thanx.
    Last edited by Bang; January 11th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Aquila 40gr .22LR good ammo?

I used the standard velocity 40 gr. stuff almost exclusively for .22 Pistol match ammo. Their High velocity stuff worked very well in my 10/22, which was worked on by Connecticut Precision Chambering a number of years ago. That rifle also stabilized the SSS 60 gr lead very well out 100 yds.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

I got a pile of the Aquila "super extra" standard velocity stuff on clearance awhile back. Function in semi-auto pistols has been good and it definitely sounds like its subsonic out of the supressor when shot from a rifle. Haven't gotten as much accuracy out of it as CCI standard velocity though.

(Lancaster County)

Aguila is good ammo, way better than anything Remington and Winchester and better than most Federal too. I have yet to have a dud in over 7,000 rounds. Sure can't say that for the other three. With recent Fededal it's 2-3 out of every 100 are duds.

(Dauphin County)

I shoot mostly Aguila's high velocity 22LR in my clone guns - like the GSG variants - and it's been very reliable and relatively accurate in the 10-25 yards I usually shoot it at. I get the occasional one that has a strike and it doesn't fire but I've yet to have one of those that I don't reload into a magazine and it fires when it strikes somewhere else on the rim. I generally don't have issues with FTF or FTE's with these until I start getting a barrel pretty hot like 300-500 rounds in a short shooting session and at that point I'm pretty sure it isn't the ammo's fault.

I will note it's pretty dirty out on the barrel end and leaves a decent bit of crud in the chamber usually. I can't say it's much more or less than other cheaper ammo variants I've tried but I sure wouldn't call it clean.