Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shipping long guns - UPS or FedEx?

I need to ship my M1 Carbine back to Auto-Ordnance/Kahr for warranty work. Not sure if I should send it via UPS or FedEx. Either way, I'll be shipping it overnight. Can anyone here offer their experiences with either one, good or bad?

I've never shipped a gun before and I'm wary of letting any weapon of mine out of my control.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Shipping long guns - UPS or FedEx?

I'm biased but I've shipped all my pistols FedEx when they were going out for work / repair. Typically I send them overnight, signature required and I insure them. I've never had a problem.

I haven't sent any long guns yet but when I send my 870 out it'll go FedEx as well.

-Chris

(Lehigh County)

Not related to firearms at all but I have had UPS actually "lose" items that I overnighted to people. Thank god the stuff I was sending were documents that could be replaced easily. You know what really chaps my ass though, is that UPS wouldnt even give me a refund for the $30 I spent for them to lose my stuff!!!
    I send eveything USPS, but sending guns through them is a no no. I have had success with FedEx and DHL, but I dont know what DHL's firearms policy is..
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Montgomery County)

I would contact Auto-Ordnance/Kahr. They should issue you an RMA and tell you how to send it. Heck, they might even send a pre paid sticker for the box.

(Luzerne County)

I used to work at UPS, and after watching a kid take out his tantrums on packages with no repercussions from mgmt, I came to the conclusion that I would never use them for shipping anything I would mind being destroyed.

As far as guns, guitars, electronics, etc? I would drive it there myself before using UPS. Cement blocks and bowling pins...well, they'd probably be ok if they weren't lost.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

CMP uses FedEx for shipping it's long guns and ammo. I take that as a ringing endorsement of FedEx.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
    I used to work at UPS, and after watching a kid take out his tantrums on packages with no repercussions from mgmt, I came to the conclusion that I would never use them for shipping anything I would mind being destroyed.

As far as guns, guitars, electronics, etc? I would drive it there myself before using UPS. Cement blocks and bowling pins...well, they'd probably be ok if they weren't lost.
    lol

i worked there too... i know exactly what you mean.
    The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history.

-Ron Paul

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    I need to ship my M1 Carbine back to Auto-Ordnance/Kahr for warranty work. Not sure if I should send it via UPS or FedEx. Either way, I'll be shipping it overnight. Can anyone here offer their experiences with either one, good or bad?

I've never shipped a gun before and I'm wary of letting any weapon of mine out of my control.
    Just in case you didn't know also, an M1 Carbine being a long gun does not NEED to go overnight. If it is your preference, that is fine, but it will be way more expensive!

later,
    AJ

(Cumberland County)

I have sent rifles to my g-smith in Montana. UPS 3-Day, insured, signature required. Everyone has made it there with no issue. If you go with the "premium" services, UPS seems to take better care of the package (at least that has been my experience). 3-day is good enough for me. Oddly enough, he sends them back USPS Express something or other. I have received every one.

The couple of times I shipped stuff from the strip mall "UPS Store", they wanted to know what was in the box. They may refuse to ship a gun on the grounds that it is a gun. (ah yes, the ramblings of the ignorant...)

If you (or a trusted friend) can ship it from work, that would be the place to do it (as long as the shipping guy doesn't care that you are bringing a rifle into work to ship it). Bring it in - packaged and ready to go so no one sees you bringing a gun into work. The shipping guy will be the only other one who knows what is in the box.

Package it well!!! Wrap it a few times in bubble wrap. Place some peanuts in the box, place the wrapped rifle in, then fill with more peanuts. Once you tape it shut, if you shake it, you don't want any movement.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Centre County)

As a non-licensee, you CAN use USPS Priority to ship a long arm to any FFL holder, anywhere in the US. Much cheaper than UPS or FedEx, just as secure. If I were going to ship commercial carrier I have not had any problems with either (will cost more than USPS though). You don't have to ship overnight. Handguns go overnight just because UPS and FedEx say they have to go this way, not because of any federal regulations.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast