Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Shipping long guns - UPS or FedEx?

I sent a rifle to the factory in Connecticut for some repairs recently. I boxed it up very well and took it to the local UPS Store. They refused it because it was a firearm. They said that it would have to be shipped from a central hub location. The UPS hub is located about 20 miles away and when I checked the address and hours on the UPS web site, I found that they are only open from 8-5 Monday through Friday with no Saturday hours. (Some of us have to work, you know.)

I ended up using FedEx. They do have saturday hours. I sent it by ground, required a signature on the recieving end and insured it for a reasonable value. I was given a tracking number and was able to track it going and coming back. It took three days each way and did not have any problems.

(York County)

I've sent lots of stuff and use FedEx whenever possible unless it has to be UPS (manufacture RMA deal)
    Just remember it's only "machine parts" if they ask.

(Allegheny County)

I use USPS to ship rifles and FedEx to ship handguns.
    The Lord Bless You

(Philadelphia County)

Biased towards UPS b/c they're union, but...

I used to work at UPS loading packages, and let me tell you, no one who is taking your package from the belt to the truck is going to have any respect for it. That being said, I knew a guy who worked at FedEx and said it was the same there. So whomever you choose, pack well.

In my experience FedEx has been marginally better than UPS on the delivery end, but avoid Airborne at all costs (if they even exist anymore, might have merged with UPS or FedEx by now).

Again, FedEx or UPS make sure it's packed well. The people working in the barn aren't being paid nearly enough to give a shit and besides that, management only cares about the trucks being packed tightly and on time...to that end boxes marked "Fragile" are tossed behind the Tetris wall of boxes you're building because they tend to be light and those "This Side Up" arrows? Forget about it-- the box will go in whichever way fits in the Tetris wall the best. Management doesn't like to stop the belt too often to allow you to get caught up, so the package handler is a slave to that belt, and so are your packages, which are crammed in as fast as the workers can handle.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sent it via FedEx ground, signature required. Got there in two days. Now I get to wait for them to fix it and send it back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12