Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Yardley, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,201
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Another VA anti-gun bill. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Virginia HB568 To Require Firearms Transported By Car Or Boat To be Locked Container. No Glove Box Exception

    HOUSE BILL NO. 568

    Offered January 8, 2020

    Prefiled January 6, 2020

    A BILL to amend and reenact 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia and to amend the Code of Virginia by adding in Article 4 of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-287.5, relating to carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty.

    Patron-- Helmer

    Committee Referral Pending

    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

    1. That 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted and that the Code of Virginia is amended by adding in Article 4 of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-287.5 as follows:

    18.2-287.5. Carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty.

    A. Any person possessing or storing a firearm in a motor vehicle or vessel shall secure such firearm in a locked container, other than a glove box, that is not within the dominion and control of or readily accessible for prompt and immediate use by any person within the motor vehicle.

    B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit.

    C. Any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $2,500.

    18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

    B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

    C. Except as provided in subsection A of 18.2-308.012, this section shall not apply to:

    1. Any person while in his own place of business;

    2. Any law-enforcement officer, or retired law-enforcement officer pursuant to 18.2-308.016, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

    3. Any person who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

    7. Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth;

    8. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;

    9. Any enrolled participant of a firearms training course who is at, or going to or from, a training location, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported; and

    10. 9. Any judge or justice of the Commonwealth, wherever such judge or justice may travel in the Commonwealth.

    D. This section shall also not apply to any of the following individuals while in the discharge of their official duties, or while in transit to or from such duties:

    1. Carriers of the United States mail;

    2. Officers or guards of any state correctional institution;

    3. Conservators of the peace, except that a judge or justice of the Commonwealth, an attorney for the Commonwealth, or an assistant attorney for the Commonwealth may carry a concealed handgun pursuant to subdivisions C 7 and 10 9. However, the following conservators of the peace shall not be permitted to carry a concealed handgun without obtaining a permit as provided in this article: (i) notaries public; (ii) registrars; (iii) drivers, operators, or other persons in charge of any motor vehicle carrier of passengers for hire; or (iv) commissioners in chancery;

    4. Noncustodial employees of the Department of Corrections designated to carry weapons by the Director of the Department of Corrections pursuant to 53.1-29; and

    5. Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell.
    Last edited by mikelets456; January 7th, 2020 at 04:13 PM.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Middle of PA, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Is this a LAW or a BILL at this point?
    Psalms 73:26

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Yardley, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,201
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Is this a LAW or a BILL at this point?
    Sorry---I changed the title to read "bill"----I got so flustered I posted in error.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,853
    Rep Power
    21474854

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    So "securely wrapped" can be a zippered pistol case, hard or soft, maybe even a folded closed paper bag and OF COURSE I'm on my way to a range.

    Freaking idiots.
    Legislating to prevent people's acts is fantasy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    684
    Rep Power
    9270164

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Perhaps I am wrong about this- but to my understanding, in most of the free states this bill is already law of the land. No permit, not a cop... it has to be secured and locked away. I'm not saying it is right, I am saying that they are wasting taxpayer's money by introducing this drivel.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ercildoun, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    3,984
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Perhaps I am wrong about this- but to my understanding, in most of the free states this bill is already law of the land. No permit, not a cop... it has to be secured and locked away. I'm not saying it is right, I am saying that they are wasting taxpayer's money by introducing this drivel.
    democrats are doing what democrats are the best at, wasting taxpayer money and increasing the power of the state.
    The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dade City, Florida
    Posts
    753
    Rep Power
    16075608

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun law. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Has there been an unacceptable surge in crimes or shootings that have been caused by glovebox carry, if not why are they passing another useless law? All I can say is thankfully the Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell is exempted.
    NRA - Pa Rifle & Pistol Assn.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    1,056
    Rep Power
    14105978

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun bill. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Virginia HB568 To Require Firearms Transported By Car Or Boat To be Locked Container. No Glove Box Exception

    HOUSE BILL NO. 568

    Offered January 8, 2020

    Prefiled January 6, 2020

    A BILL to amend and reenact 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia and to amend the Code of Virginia by adding in Article 4 of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-287.5, relating to carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty.

    Patron-- Helmer

    Committee Referral Pending

    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

    1. That 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted and that the Code of Virginia is amended by adding in Article 4 of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-287.5 as follows:

    18.2-287.5. Carrying or storing firearms in motor vehicles and vessels; exceptions; penalty.

    A. Any person possessing or storing a firearm in a motor vehicle or vessel shall secure such firearm in a locked container, other than a glove box, that is not within the dominion and control of or readily accessible for prompt and immediate use by any person within the motor vehicle.

    B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit.

    C. Any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $2,500.

    18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

    B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

    C. Except as provided in subsection A of 18.2-308.012, this section shall not apply to:

    1. Any person while in his own place of business;

    2. Any law-enforcement officer, or retired law-enforcement officer pursuant to 18.2-308.016, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

    3. Any person who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

    6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

    7. Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth;

    8. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;

    9. Any enrolled participant of a firearms training course who is at, or going to or from, a training location, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported; and

    10. 9. Any judge or justice of the Commonwealth, wherever such judge or justice may travel in the Commonwealth.

    D. This section shall also not apply to any of the following individuals while in the discharge of their official duties, or while in transit to or from such duties:

    1. Carriers of the United States mail;

    2. Officers or guards of any state correctional institution;

    3. Conservators of the peace, except that a judge or justice of the Commonwealth, an attorney for the Commonwealth, or an assistant attorney for the Commonwealth may carry a concealed handgun pursuant to subdivisions C 7 and 10 9. However, the following conservators of the peace shall not be permitted to carry a concealed handgun without obtaining a permit as provided in this article: (i) notaries public; (ii) registrars; (iii) drivers, operators, or other persons in charge of any motor vehicle carrier of passengers for hire; or (iv) commissioners in chancery;

    4. Noncustodial employees of the Department of Corrections designated to carry weapons by the Director of the Department of Corrections pursuant to 53.1-29; and

    5. Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell.
    So they are copying PA law, but not as strict?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    6336452

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun bill. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    So they are copying PA law, but not as strict?
    As many times as I have been in Virginia, this has never been a issue for me due to having a "valid concealed handgun permit." I utilized the similar glove box law in South Carolina due to their lack of reciprocity. I fear that they will be changing reciprocity agreements soon too, because the effort and energy they appear to he putting into this seems to have a minimal outcome, given the relative ease of permit/license availability in Virginia and other states.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    york, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    17353837

    Default Re: Another VA anti-gun bill. Can we combine these somehow? Ban travel with gun

    Step 1 - identify the problem- anti 2A politicians
    Step 2 - eliminate the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops