Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Luzerne County)

Default Road trip, PA to AZ

Hi All! Newbie here and glad to have found this site.

I am planning on taking a road trip with my wife and kids to Arizona.

My wife wont let me drive through states that wont let me carry my gun. After working with google maps for hours I found that for just 3 more hours of driving time, I will be driving strictly in states which honor the PA LTCF except for New Mexico. New Mexico, happens to be the only state that we will drive though which doesn't honor PA's LTCF.

Question to you guys is.....Since every state that we will be driving through honors PA's LTCF, can I have the gun on my hip beginning in PA, and drive all the way to a few miles short of New Mexico? When I get to the border of New Mexico ( which will be in Texas ) , I would like to lock up the gun according to federal regulations for interstate transport of firearms. Then, after driving into Arizona, I will get it out of the locked container and put it back on my hip.

So the questions to you guys are:

a) Can I have the gun on my hip, beginning in PA, and drive all the way to a few miles short of New Mexico?
    b) Is there an official website that tells me how to transport firearms legally while driving through New Mexico, as per Federal law? I looked but couldn't find the atf website addressing this issue.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by AppalachianWarrior; January 7th, 2020 at 03:12 PM.