Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Road trip, PA to AZ

Quote Originally Posted by robertceckerjr View Post
    No need to apologize. You should experience no problems in your trip. In New Mexico just be sure to make sure your gun is openly visible in your car. It is a Gold Star Open Carry state and very gun friendly. I have made this trip many times. But it will not hurt to familiarize yourself with the laws of the states you are driving through. Some states have a requirement to notify law enforcement if you are carrying and some do not.
    a) Are you saying that while I am driving through New Mexico, with a PA LTCF and without a New Mexico Gun permit, as long as it is clearly visible in the car to an outsider, I am not breaking any laws?

b) Should the gun need to be brazenly and openly lying in the car or can it be inside a Walmart shopping bag etc.? I ask because even though I believe in open carrying, I dont want the gun to be so visible that some bad guy will smash the window and steal the gun at a rest stop.
    Last edited by AppalachianWarrior; January 12th, 2020 at 02:29 AM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianWarrior View Post
    Hello again. thanks for your replies previously. i believe this picture from https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ is incorrect because it shows Ohio as a state where PA LTCF holders can carry. Did the website make a mistake?

The reciprocity list on this website ( PAFOA website ) does -not- list Ohio as a state which has reciprocity with PA. Which website is correct? Thanks for the replies.

Attachment 126040

Attachment 126041
    It must not have been updated. Ohio is reciprocal with PA resident LTCF, with the caveat that Ohio is a MUST inform state. Check
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

(Berks County)

Hello again. thanks for your replies previously. i believe this picture from https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ is incorrect because it shows Ohio as a state where PA LTCF holders can carry. Did the website make a mistake?

The reciprocity list on this website ( PAFOA website ) does -not- list Ohio as a state which has reciprocity with PA. Which website is correct? Thanks for the replies.

Attachment 126040

Attachment 126041
    IANAL but my understanding is that we are good to go in Oh hi O BUT they are a 'must notify' state, which means if you are pulled over you are required to advise the officer that you are carrying.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

If you have time and can find a class before your trip get an Arizona non-resident permit, license or whatever they call it. NM does not accept Utah non-resident or PA resident, but will accept AZ non-resident. I'm guessing because there's a shooting component required to get it. If that's not an option, previous posts had links to websites that can answer your question about how to get through NM legally with a firearm in your vehicle.

BTW, props to your wife for recognizing the need for a means of self defense does not stop, and in many states becomes greater outside the borders of PA.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Be aware of the one gun at a time restriction in New Mexico. Some of us carry more than one gun, but that is not allowed in New Mexico.

Rick

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Be aware of the one gun at a time restriction in New Mexico. Some of us carry more than one gun, but that is not allowed in New Mexico.

Rick
    Huh, that is weird. Didn't know that. Good thing to bring up.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Two different items you should know in NM:
    1. Your car is considered an extension of your house, so no permit needed to carry open or concealed in your vehicle.
    2. When carrying IN PUBLIC, you must be licensed to CONCEAL carry. No permit needed for OPEN carry.

Very gun friendly officers there, I would be shocked if you ran into any problems.

Direct from the source:
    https://www.dps.nm.gov/concealed-carry-faqs

(Bucks County)

Hi All! Newbie here and glad to have found this site.

I am planning on taking a road trip with my wife and kids to Arizona.

My wife wont let me drive through states that wont let me carry my gun. After working with google maps for hours I found that for just 3 more hours of driving time, I will be driving strictly in states which honor the PA LTCF except for New Mexico. New Mexico, happens to be the only state that we will drive though which doesn't honor PA's LTCF.

Question to you guys is.....Since every state that we will be driving through honors PA's LTCF, can I have the gun on my hip beginning in PA, and drive all the way to a few miles short of New Mexico? When I get to the border of New Mexico ( which will be in Texas ) , I would like to lock up the gun according to federal regulations for interstate transport of firearms. Then, after driving into Arizona, I will get it out of the locked container and put it back on my hip.

So the questions to you guys are:

a) Can I have the gun on my hip, beginning in PA, and drive all the way to a few miles short of New Mexico?
    b) Is there an official website that tells me how to transport firearms legally while driving through New Mexico, as per Federal law? I looked but couldn't find the atf website addressing this issue.

Thanks for the replies.
    I thought NM was a "no permit" open carry state?

https://opencarry.org/maps/map-open-...oaded-handgun/

NM specific:

https://opencarry.org/state-info-n-s/new-mexico/
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123