Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Scope cleaning wipes

Since I just got a reflex site for daily carry, I was curious as to what brand/types of cleaning wipes you all preferred to use?

Romeo 1 is what I'm going to be cleaning, in case that makes a difference.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Scope cleaning wipes

I use the same Sight Savers wipes I use on my eyeglasses.

FWIW; never use any Windex or ammonia-containing solution for lens cleaning. Ammonia can attack the coatings on lenses.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I would recommend a lens pen. Cabela's sells them IIRC under $10.00 . I have used the same one for years without any problems.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...0.uts?slotId=0
    Last edited by Daycrawler; January 6th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lackawanna County)

cotton q-tips and alcohol. Carry the alcohol in a small spritzer bottle (pocket size) or squeeze dropper type plastic bottle. Another handy item is 100% cotton cloth (handkerchief or bandana) that you did not use a dryer sheet with in the dryer.

Never use windex type cleaners on your optics: it can strip coatings off. I've worked on first-surface mirrors and coated optics for over 15 years, use plenty of alcohol, go slow and never get "aggressive" at rubbing your optics. Once they get scratched it won't come out. If you run outta alcohol, breathing on your optics will leave a damp film that is usable to gently clean the optics with a q-tip or cloth.

(Bucks County)

Denatured or isopropyl? What percent? Straight or mixed in water?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Denatured or isopropyl? What percent? Straight or mixed in water?
    Isopropyl is just fine, like you get at the local drug store. Even those alcohol wipes for glasses, or wiping before you get an injection type, are fine for commercial optics. It usually leaves a slight film as it evaporates, thus using soft clean cotton cloth (or real cotton ball) to gently wipe away the film.

Denatured is really harsh and in some cases will "eat" some coatings on low end optics. You can use real 100% proof alcohol (from the state store) for optics cleaning, but it's not really needed.

What you want is to clean oils, dust, lint and grim (burnt/unburnt gunpowder residue) from the lenses. So you need something to dissolve/float those things away, but not harm the optics and the seals holding them together.

A lens brush (usually those twisty type like lipstick containers) will gently swish away dust and loose stuff. Smudges, fingerprints and stuck on stuff needs alcohol to loosen it and wash it away, then more liquid & cloth to wipe away.

Just like getting something in your eye: blink away (brush), irrigate/flood to wash out heavy stuff, q-tip & final rinse to be sure everything is gone. A final rub with cotton cloth to ensure the film is gone and you're done.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your thoughtful and useful response.

I basically do not disturb a slight blush of contaminants on a lens if not noticeable when viewing through the scope. I have read in caring for optics the less fussing with a lens the better, thought about that, and agree.

I start out by blowing on the lens, by mouth, which sends the bigger chunks airborne and away. Allowing the moisture from that to dissipate. Next, the soft brush. Then a mix of 70% isopropyl and tap water (roughly 60/40) applied with a cotton ball and then dried with a dry cotton ball followed by a brand new microfiber cloth to get what the cotton doesn't completely dry.

I add water to the alcohol to slow down the evaporation, giving the chance to wipe it dry before the alcohol flashes off and leaves a dry residue. So far, it has worked for the contaminants and fingerprints that presented.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.