Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Legal Alien/Non-immigrant Visa First Firearm Purchasing Questions!

Hello Members, I found out about PAFOA today and it seemed like a very resourceful place to ask questions regarding firearms. If I could get feedbacks from FFL experts, it would be fantastic. I am a legal alien, holding a non-immigrant visa, currently studying in the United States.

I often go shooting with friends I made here, and I feel bad using their firearms all the time so I decided to purchase my own via acquiring a valid hunting license from PA. So my questions are:

1) What should I bring to the FFL gun store when I decide to purchase a firearm? ATF states that all I need is a valid hunting license, but wouldn't they need my passport or other documents related to my student visa?

2) Is there any restriction on acquiring CCW in PA for legal aliens? Because of my nonimmigrant student visa status, I cannot establish residency (I also have to purchase non-resident hunting license) and I was wondering if residency in PA is required for CCW.

3) Do I need a CCW prior to purchasing a firearm? As far as I know, carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm in a vehicle is illegal, so I thought that in order to bring the new firearm back home, I should already have CCW.

4) How does background check work on foreign nationals? Would it take longer and would I need to bring certain documents?

Thank you!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Legal Alien/Non-immigrant Visa First Firearm Purchasing Questions!

Not 100% on this but a local gun shop has this listed on their website. That being said I am sure someone here (more knowledgable than me) will provide the very specific exceptions if there are any. Your best bet would be ask your local firearm shop they would probably know best.

Also ATF website

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

https://thesportsmansshop.com/shooti...ign-nationals/

Foreign Nationals
    FOREIGN NATIONALS: permitted & prohibited person for possessing firearms and ammunition.

A non-immigrant alien is someone who is in the United States on a temporary basis, usually on a work, student, or tourist visa. Under the provisions of 27 CFR 178.97, non-immigrant aliens are prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms and ammunition while in the United States unless they are a citizen or national of the Visa Waiver Program (below).

Permanent resident aliens and aliens lawfully admitted to the U.S. without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program) do not fall within the prohibition, and therefore do not need to meet the exemptions to rent and shoot a firearm.

The following 38 countries are Visa Waiver Program participants:

Andorra, Australia, Austria
    Belgium, Brunei
    Chile, Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland, France
    Germany, Greece
    Hungary
    Iceland, Ireland, Italy
    Japan
    Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
    Malta, Monaco
    Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway
    Portugal
    San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
    Taiwan
    United Kingdom
    Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...r-program.html

A penalty for violation of this federal law is imprisonment of 5-10 years per occurrence. We do not want to go to prison, nor do we want you to go to prison. If you are here from another country and do not meet the criteria for permitted persons you may not shoot at The Sportsman’s Shop.
    Last edited by HKusp 45; January 4th, 2020 at 05:03 PM.

(Franklin County)

27 CFR 178.97 applies to loan or rental. OP is correct that he can purchase while here. My understanding is that he would not qualify for a LTCF.

OP, you do not need a CCW/LTCF to purchase, and the background check should take just a few minutes via phone.

I hope (and expect) Xringshooter will be along. He is very fluent in these specifics and does such transactions frequently.

OP, I would encourage you to contact him directly, as he is in your area, and IMO, you won't find a better guy to deal with.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Thank you sir! I looked through the links and they were helpful

(Centre County)

Thank you sir! I will try contacting him

(Schuylkill County)

For a handgun you must be 21 or older.

3. No a LTCF is not required to buy a gun. You can legally transport it unloaded in the trunk when traveling to and from a range and your home or a gun store (with no stops in between) Loaded in a car is considered concealed.

(Centre County)

Thank you! I'm glad that I can carry it unloaded as it now seems that PA doesn't issue new LTCF to non-residents

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2Costly View Post
    Thank you! I'm glad that I can carry it unloaded as it now seems that PA doesn't issue new LTCF to non-residents
    Whoa! Slow down a minute. You cannot "carry it unloaded".

You can bring it outside of your residence only when going DIRECTLY to or from a very short list of places, including the range or a gun shop.

You cannot keep it in the car while you randomly travel around. You cannot "carry" it unloaded.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2Costly View Post
    Hello Members, I found out about PAFOA today and it seemed like a very resourceful place to ask questions regarding firearms. If I could get feedbacks from FFL experts, it would be fantastic. I am a legal alien, holding a non-immigrant visa, currently studying in the United States.

I often go shooting with friends I made here, and I feel bad using their firearms all the time so I decided to purchase my own via acquiring a valid hunting license from PA. So my questions are:

1) What should I bring to the FFL gun store when I decide to purchase a firearm? ATF states that all I need is a valid hunting license, but wouldn't they need my passport or other documents related to my student visa?

2) Is there any restriction on acquiring CCW in PA for legal aliens? Because of my nonimmigrant student visa status, I cannot establish residency (I also have to purchase non-resident hunting license) and I was wondering if residency in PA is required for CCW.

3) Do I need a CCW prior to purchasing a firearm? As far as I know, carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm in a vehicle is illegal, so I thought that in order to bring the new firearm back home, I should already have CCW.

4) How does background check work on foreign nationals? Would it take longer and would I need to bring certain documents?

Thank you!
    Which country issued your passport?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Centre County)

Oh my bad! Im still reading over volumes on open carry and concealed carry laws. Thank you for clarification!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast