Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Life span of carry ammunition

I have a Glock 23 and an Ruger SR9. Everyday I carry one of them, depending on the situation. My question is, since I'm fortunate enough not to have been caught in any situations where I have had to use my gun, when should I start thinking of getting new ammunition? I've noticed that my hollowpoints have started to tarnish, this is what first made me think about getting new bullets. However it would be a shame to waste perfectly good ammunition. At the same time I don't want to need to use my gun and not have it go bang because of old ammunition.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SR9

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Life span of carry ammunition

As long as it doesn't absorb moisture or oil it will last several decades.

Ammo from WWI is still being sold and used.

(Bradford County)

sealed ammo, i would not be concerned, but my rounds are not sealed, so i Freshen up every 1-3 months depending on my activities.

(Delaware County)

Typically, you use what's in the gun as practice ammo and then load fresh rounds for carry.

You do practice with your carry ammo on occasion don't you?

That said, modern ammunition stays viable for decades as long as it is stored under decent conditions. Since it's a carry gun, it's unlikely that the ammunition will see extremes of heat or cold. The only things I'd worry about are oil and moisture (sweat or rain). Oil is easy enough to avoid, and I wouldn't worry about moisture unless I really soaked the gun.

Beware chambering the same round over and over also. Repeated chambering can cause bullet setback and increase pressures.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post

You do practice with your carry ammo on occasion don't you?

If that was meant for me yes i do practice with my carry ammo from time to time.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    If that was meant for me yes i do practice with my carry ammo from time to time.
    No, that was for the OP, as was my entire post. I suspect that most folks here practice with their carry ammo, although few use it exclusively. I know the vast majority of my practice is done with my own reloads...

Smile Re: Life span of carry ammunition

I try to shoot my 'varry ammo' about every 3-4 months. FWIW

(Allegheny County)

Sorry for O/T.

BlackIrish, How do you like the SR9? How does it compare the Glock? I know the 23 is a 40SW, but overall how do you like it? Bottom line on any purchase would you do it again?

Thanks
    Mike
    Careful some of those Zombies could be Americans!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingFool View Post
    Sorry for O/T.

BlackIrish, How do you like the SR9? How does it compare the Glock? I know the 23 is a 40SW, but overall how do you like it? Bottom line on any purchase would you do it again?

Thanks
    Mike
    ^^^This would be better put into a PM or a new thread, as it is dreadfully off topic.

To the OP: as others have said, your ammo is probably fine... but if in doubt, fire it at the range and get new carry ammo... even for peace of mind if nothing else. I know, personally, I wouldn't want to carry a gun that I was worried about whether it was going to go bang when I needed it. I shoot my carry ammo every few months and replace it with fresh ones. Make sure you are practicing with your carry gun(s) on a regular basis. Personally, I don't practice with my carry ammo because I can't afford to. I practice with my reloads, but the recoil from those and my carry ammo is pretty similar and I don't worry about any differences in POI (point of impact) at the ranges I use a handgun at.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    ^^^This would be better put into a PM or a new thread, as it is dreadfully off topic.

To the OP: as others have said, your ammo is probably fine... but if in doubt, fire it at the range and get new carry ammo... even for peace of mind if nothing else. I know, personally, I wouldn't want to carry a gun that I was worried about whether it was going to go bang when I needed it. I shoot my carry ammo every few months and replace it with fresh ones. Make sure you are practicing with your carry gun(s) on a regular basis. Personally, I don't practice with my carry ammo because I can't afford to. I practice with my reloads, but the recoil from those and my carry ammo is pretty similar and I don't worry about any differences in POI (point of impact) at the ranges I use a handgun at.

All good information. I replace at about 6 months. This just asures me that the carry ammo still likes my gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast