Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Home Visit

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ATF Home Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Yes. A citizen has no duty to assist police with any knowledge they may have. Any ghetto resident knows that...only they call it not finking. Or just not talk to Po Po. That works out real well for reducing crime in the neighborhood. Then the cops are useless and are told so. Way to go. As ye sew, so shall ye reap.
    When you are pulled over by a cop and are told, straight up, you were pulled over for the simple fact that you are driving around at 2AM (which I have), or you are pulled over and told, straight up, the reason you were pulled over is that you were going 5mph over the speed limit (which I have), the satirical view you posted becomes much closer to reality.
    Last edited by free; January 5th, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    When you are pulled over by a cop and are told, straight up, you were pulled over for the simple fact that you are driving around at 2AM (which I have), or you are pulled over and told, straight up, the reason you were pulled over is that you were going 5mph over the speed limit (which I have), the satirical view you posted becomes much closer to reality.
    I have been on both sides of pedestrian/vehicle stops/investigations. The most important thing that I take away is that both sides want to be treated fairly and with respect. And many times that doesn’t happen. Up thread, Gun Lawyer gives the best advice for how to best deal with an encounter as described by the OP. For an encounter on the street I would recommend winning in the courtroom, than losing on the sidewalk.

While no one is sure what they were doing at the OPs house, I remember a big case years ago where they were trying to find the rightful owners of stolen firearms and were making visits like this. Stop laughing, it really did happen. Once.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    While no one is sure what they were doing at the OPs house, I remember a big case years ago where they were trying to find the rightful owners of stolen firearms and were making visits like this. Stop laughing, it really did happen. Once.
    If that were true in the OP's case, then there would be no reason to lie about a serial number. They could have just told him they were trying to return stolen guns.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Or if youve been told your the wrong color to be in that neighborhood at that time.

(Montgomery County)

Not that I'm a skeptic or anything.... but I notice you didn't say "to return" in your statement above. Could it be possible that they were simply trying to locate the rightful owners to inform them "not to worry, your firearms have been destroyed so that they cannot hurt anybody. Case closed!"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If that were true in the OP's case, then there would be no reason to lie about a serial number. They could have just told him they were trying to return stolen guns.
    Maybe. We still don’t know the actual reason for the visit.

You may not approve but I have used a procedure like this to put someone more at ease while talking to them, both complainants and suspects.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Not that I'm a skeptic or anything.... but I notice you didn't say "to return" in your statement above. Could it be possible that they were simply trying to locate the rightful owners to inform them "not to worry, your firearms have been destroyed so that they cannot hurt anybody. Case closed!"
    You are not wrong. Unfortunately we all know how Philly works when it comes to firearms. From what I remember the state may have been involved also, because it included surrounding counties, so that may have made “return” more feasible.

(Bucks County)

Turn in your guns at your next local "buy-back" and reduce shootings. Then get a vasectomy to reduce shooters.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

I have been on both sides of pedestrian/vehicle stops/investigations. The most important thing that I take away is that both sides want to be treated fairly and with respect....For an encounter on the street I would recommend winning in the courtroom, than losing on the sidewalk.
    Fair enough, and I agree entirely. On the other hand, if you have pulled me over for either of the reasons I listed, then you have begun the encounter in violation of those principles. I will regard you accordingly, no matter how polite I may be during the encounter.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If a PA resident trades in a handgun for another gun (or sells it), then that receiving shop should have it in inventory, or they should have sent in a Record of Sale form.

The main reason for ATF coming to your home and asking to see a specific gun would be that they already found the gun, at a crime scene or in the possession of a criminal, and they're fishing to see what you say about it. If you said "it's in here somewhere" then you've just lied to a federal agent, which is a serious crime (ask Martha Stewart about that.)

It's best not to talk to the Feds about any crimes, unless your wife is missing and you want her back. A disproportionate number of federal convictions are process crimes, lying to agents. You can avoid that by not making any affirmative statements of fact. Hiring a lawyer to intermediate is also a possibility. I tell all my clients to mention Martha Stewart and then shut up.

If you want to help them out, use a lawyer, get the story and context. Otherwise, YOU are the target, they aren't really here to help you or "clear up a few things", and you probably don't want to help them convict you of anything, especially since they have no problem prosecuting you for honest mistakes. They can also prosecute you for telling the truth, if they have someone else who's lying and giving a different story. If you say nothing (except "I'll have my lawyer contact you"), there's no statements for them to play with.
    The all just playing out in the news. If they screw over a president then the average Joe is a gonner.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast