(Montgomery County)

Default Re: ATF Home Visit

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Sound like you should have asked to see their fishing license
    Ha! I'll have to remember that....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Someone takes boating accidents waaaaay tooo serious...
    Yeah, I was going to mention my big boating accident..but I didn’t want to get ratted out for not having a boating license or something (;

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If a PA resident trades in a handgun for another gun (or sells it), then that receiving shop should have it in inventory, or they should have sent in a Record of Sale form.

The main reason for ATF coming to your home and asking to see a specific gun would be that they already found the gun, at a crime scene or in the possession of a criminal, and they're fishing to see what you say about it. If you said "it's in here somewhere" then you've just lied to a federal agent, which is a serious crime (ask Martha Stewart about that.)

It's best not to talk to the Feds about any crimes, unless your wife is missing and you want her back. A disproportionate number of federal convictions are process crimes, lying to agents. You can avoid that by not making any affirmative statements of fact. Hiring a lawyer to intermediate is also a possibility. I tell all my clients to mention Martha Stewart and then shut up.

If you want to help them out, use a lawyer, get the story and context. Otherwise, YOU are the target, they aren't really here to help you or "clear up a few things", and you probably don't want to help them convict you of anything, especially since they have no problem prosecuting you for honest mistakes. They can also prosecute you for telling the truth, if they have someone else who's lying and giving a different story. If you say nothing (except "I'll have my lawyer contact you"), there's no statements for them to play with.

You would be surprised at how fast this can happen.

Had an FBI agent and a local LEO show up at a business I managed. While I was standing there finishing my paperwork for the shift I just completed, FBI asked if I had been to the bank, yet. I said, in about 45 minutes I'll be there, why?

Bank had been robbed and they wanted to know if perhaps I had been there and witnessed anything unusual.

That was NOT the reason why they were there!

The person whom robbed the bank looked like me, and the teller robbed, mentioned it. This wasn't apparent to me until I saw the bank photo of the perp the next day in the newspaper, and I was off that day (Friday) to go skiing. Glad the robbery took place when I was at work.

Well, by my demeanor during their visit, they concluded I was not the perp, but never told me I was a suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HSMaxim View Post
    Glad you’re amused.

I rarely post here, but I know the immigrant is a troll and I’m wondering how tough he’d really be knowing the ATF will never knock on his door because I know he’s claimed he’s not a gunowner.

So again, I was asking the poster full of bravado if he even owns a firearm or if he’s just armchair lawyering.

Why do you even care?

free is a contrarian, BUT, he is also a contributor to this forum.

You, troll much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Chester County)

I'm glad this thread has given me the opportunity to reflect on how I might handle this should it ever occur. I think I would take Gunlawyer's advice and tell them I will have my lawyer get back to them. As an older guy, I have been buying guns for years. If they asked me where I sold a particular pistol I could very conceivably not recall the exact circumstances of a sale from many years ago, might not still have the sale paperwork, and/or tell them the wrong thing as an honest mistake. Unfortunately that honest mistake might not go well for me depending on the circumstances, as well laid out in Don't Talk to the Police. As others have said, if LE shows up at your door, they are not there to help you and might very well be looking for an easy solution to some crime they are investigating. Best to say nothing until your lawyer has a better handle on just what is going on and why you are a part of it.

(Bucks County)

Must be a dangerous job if two need to come out. Well, they are dealing with guns, so.....

The 8 or B thing sounds contrived. Most serial numbers have assigned spaces. For example, a make and model having a serial B147322 is not going to have the B in another location in the serial. So what looks like either a 8147322 or a B147322 is pretty much self explanatory.

One thing I can think of is they have to consider the B on the gun might have been altered to look like an 8, which would justify investigation, since that space should be a letter.
    Last edited by Bang; January 4th, 2020 at 01:55 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueContact125 View Post
    Yeah they were being pretty nice and were respectful and all. It just really shook me. I didn't really ask any questions. I only asked them to tell me why that specific gun and then they gave me the story of not being able to read the serial number on the paperwork. They said it was " standard procedure" to check up on guns from shut down shops if they weren't able to read serial numbers on the paperwork for "verification" purposes.
    Totally plausible. My handwriting is worse than a doctors when I rush , or my hand is tired from writing. Hand injuries , arthritis , tendonitis , etc. And the same goes for any number of people filling out the paperwork. Some just can't write legibly in those boxes. Don't know why they don't go to a computer-screen 4473 and PSP forms. The shop I worked at we also made photocopies of every seller/purchaser/transferor D/L , ID or LTC.
    Last edited by abner13; January 4th, 2020 at 02:07 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lycoming County)

Guess I should make sure all my paperwork is in order for anything I recently purchased from the local gander that went out of business. Don't need any issues with the BATFE or other three letter agencies regarding recent purchases from now defunk'd stores.
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

(Pike County)

um.....does Ruger use letters in their serial numbers?

Every one I've ever seen had numbers only; no letters.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast