Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Family Dog Shot and Killed Near Benton

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Well...there is much information that was left out of this article, so we may never know for certain. All I can say is that state law requires dogs to be leashed OR UNDER CONTROL. Even if the dog is on your property, if it is far enough away from you to be shot without you knowing about it (whether by a trespasser or not) it was NOT under control.

In this example, I fault the owner with the dog's death more than I do the shooter. This is owner's negligence just the same as owners who don't train their dogs not to bite people in public.

If you own a dog, train the damn thing properly!

Another way to convey that your dog is not a feral stray...spend a couple bucks on a safety vest. No one will confuse my dog for a coyote or a feral animal.
    If it is chasing game or livestock, it is still fair target......

(Lancaster County)

Well...there is much information that was left out of this article, so we may never know for certain. All I can say is that state law requires dogs to be leashed OR UNDER CONTROL. Even if the dog is on your property, if it is far enough away from you to be shot without you knowing about it (whether by a trespasser or not) it was NOT under control.

In this example, I fault the owner with the dog's death more than I do the shooter. This is owner's negligence just the same as owners who don't train their dogs not to bite people in public.

Another way to convey that your dog is not a feral stray...spend a couple bucks on a safety vest. No one will confuse my dog for a coyote or a feral animal.
    You need to write "NOT A DEER" on that orange, cause hunters get confused easily.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Isn't private property just that, no matter how far my dog is from me, its my property,
    and NOBODY should be shooting my dog on my property. Thats a good way to "stop breathing".

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Isn't private property just that, no matter how far my dog is from me, its my property,
    and NOBODY should be shooting my dog on my property. Thats a good way to "stop breathing".
    Although I don't disagree with you, you're missing the point. The dog shouldn't be loose to run deer even on your property.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Although I don't disagree with you, you're missing the point. The dog shouldn't be loose to run deer even on your property.
    THIS !!!!!!

(Washington County)

A lot of people here are making assumptions about this situation based only on their own bias. That's understandable due to the lack of information presented, but that doesn't make it rational.

There is no way for the reader to determine why the dog was shot or by whom, and in fact it will likely remain a mystery to all. The owner alleges that the dog was shot by a hunter. This may or may not be accurate. There is no way to know.

The most useful information presented was that the dog was described as being found "in the woods by their house." Note that it was NOT described as being found on their property. This sounds like probable negligence on their part.

It is a shame that the animal was killed, whether justifiably or not.

(Montgomery County)

My property, and all property, should follow the nunya rule.

Nunya damn business what happens on my property.

World we be a better place if others didnt feel the need to tell others how to act or live.

I dont understand why this concept is so damn difficult for more people to grasp. Just like we dont need anymore laws. Its so basic, no one can seem to wrap their head around it.

(Bucks County)

No one should be shooting at my dog on my property unless they're ready for return fire.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    No one should be shooting at my dog on my property unless they're ready for return fire.
    THIS^^^^

(Bucks County)

We do the orange vest and collar as my Rottie looks more like a black bear cub vs a deer. Absolutely no reason not to put this on your dog in an area where there will be hunters present.

Not directed to Sandcut, I personally wouldn’t shoot a dog chasing a deer knowing it’s probably someone’s pet and there’s around 1.5 million deer in the state. I’d pobably shoot the deer first if the dog got it down and and deer wasn’t dead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast