Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Montgomery County)

Question Infidel Fixed Blade in PA

Thinking of switching up carry knives. Little confused by our knife laws. I was under the impression that double-edged blades weren't legal to carry, but rereading the statutes it seems that daggers are only banned if they are switchblades etc. Can someone please help me figure out if fixed blade infidel is lawful to carry?

Info I know:
    Philadelphia Code § 10-820. More importantly, any knife that has no “common lawful purpose” is illegal to carry as per 18 Pa.C.S. § 908 (Prohibited offensive weapons). Self-defense does not count as a “common lawful purpose” since it would effectively invalidate § 908 entirely. For example, in Commonwealth v. Lawson (Pa. Superior Court, 2009), Anthony Michael Lawson’s § 908 conviction for possessing an 11-inch long folding knife, with a 7-inch long blade, that locked both fully open and at a 90° angle was upheld due to the knife having no “common lawful purpose”, including a dismissed claim of self-defense.
    Last edited by netw0rkpenguin; January 1st, 2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: more info added