Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Question Infidel Fixed Blade in PA

Thinking of switching up carry knives. Little confused by our knife laws. I was under the impression that double-edged blades weren't legal to carry, but rereading the statutes it seems that daggers are only banned if they are switchblades etc. Can someone please help me figure out if fixed blade infidel is lawful to carry?

Info I know:
    Philadelphia Code § 10-820. More importantly, any knife that has no “common lawful purpose” is illegal to carry as per 18 Pa.C.S. § 908 (Prohibited offensive weapons). Self-defense does not count as a “common lawful purpose” since it would effectively invalidate § 908 entirely. For example, in Commonwealth v. Lawson (Pa. Superior Court, 2009), Anthony Michael Lawson’s § 908 conviction for possessing an 11-inch long folding knife, with a 7-inch long blade, that locked both fully open and at a 90° angle was upheld due to the knife having no “common lawful purpose”, including a dismissed claim of self-defense.
    Last edited by netw0rkpenguin; January 1st, 2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: more info added

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Infidel Fixed Blade in PA

Self defense is a “common lawful purpose”. Court rulings are just someone's opinion.

And that's my opinion man.
    Last edited by john9001; January 2nd, 2020 at 08:09 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    Thinking of switching up carry knives. Little confused by our knife laws. I was under the impression that double-edged blades weren't legal to carry, but rereading the statutes it seems that daggers are only banned if they are switchblades etc. Can someone please help me figure out if fixed blade infidel is lawful to carry?

Info I know:
    Philadelphia Code § 10-820. More importantly, any knife that has no “common lawful purpose” is illegal to carry as per 18 Pa.C.S. § 908 (Prohibited offensive weapons). Self-defense does not count as a “common lawful purpose” since it would effectively invalidate § 908 entirely. For example, in Commonwealth v. Lawson (Pa. Superior Court, 2009), Anthony Michael Lawson’s § 908 conviction for possessing an 11-inch long folding knife, with a 7-inch long blade, that locked both fully open and at a 90° angle was upheld due to the knife having no “common lawful purpose”, including a dismissed claim of self-defense.
    daggers are not legal for carry you can own them though. In Philadelphia you run into even more problems though. Think they don't know gun laws? try knife laws that are even more ambiguous and confusing. This creates many ..... many issues of which will cost you even more in legal fees and depending on the charge loss of your 2A rights. I don't disagree self defense is a lawful purpose but defending that in Philly is going to be tough if your a law abiding citizen. If your a criminal they'll just let you free to do it again.

(Chester County)

Misinterpretation of knife laws is a common mistake. Like I say to anyone that carries a knife make sure you understand most police make up the law about knives when they discover you are carrying one. Daggers in the statute are legal as are assisted opening knives but you will be arrested and charged and in some cases convicted if you carry in the wrong district where laws are ignored.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC