Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 223/556, 762, Pistols, Galil Ace, Keltec plr16, Rifle caliper pistols Question

I have noticed the larger pistol calipers in a platform which holds 30 round mags,
    Lets face it, a glock 19 with a 50 round drum mag or a 30 round stick mag is still way smaller than a H&K M5P or the similar in 9mm offerings,
    Now lets move to the 7.62 and 223/556 platform,
    Interesting but I am still unsure of their practicality aside from looking like a post apocylipse weapon,
    How are the 7.62 pistols to shoot?
    I wandered into a PLR16 for $250 a year or more ago and its been 100% reliable, Spitting fire balls and eating ammo that has been discarded, Well, Its been great and no malfunctions with the cheapest ammo available,
    I was offered a Galil Ace Pistol with brace which is unopened for way less than prices I can see anywhere.
    Todays environment has prices high, 9mm at 77c a round and 223/556 hovering in the same area,,
    Is the Galil a good high quality firearm? I dont know much about them aside from what the internet offers,
    Yes I shot the AK and AR platforms for years,
    Who has time behind these rifle caliper pistols and will share their expirences?
    Sincerely
    Peter.
    Last edited by pred; August 26th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: 223/556, 762, Pistols, Galil Ace, Keltec plr16, Rifle caliper pistols Question

Yeah a Glock is smaller then an MP5 but it's not nearly as fast or as accurate as the MP5 to use. A rifle of any kind is always faster and more accurate then a pistol especially a pistol that is now poorly balanced with a 32 round plus stick magazine in it. Most drums are garbage and nothing more then a novelty and a malfunction waiting to happen.

Short barreled rifles have had a place for a long time in the military so taking the stock off and slapping a brace on it and calling it a pistol doesn't change the effectiveness of the 5.56 in a 11.5" barrel. If you have the ability to use a rifle for home defense then I would rather use a 11.5" then a 16" within my home if I have the choice. I would take either of those two options over any pistol.

we don't "need" a lot of the things we have in this world to get things done and that definitely applies to the firearms world as well, but it's sure nice and fun to have all the options including the silly ones.

Yes the Galil is a good overall rifle/pistol in either .223 or 7.62, it's the current revamp on a very proven line of military rifles that were thought to have been very much improved upon AK type rifle.

Last edited by Hodgie; August 26th, 2020 at 07:32 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: 223/556, 762, Pistols, Galil Ace, Keltec plr16, Rifle caliper pistols Question

In my opinion, 7.62 pistols = novelty range toy with no practical use, Im very close to that opinion with the 5.56 ones also, with that short of a barrel and a 55gr projectile, you will do better off with a 22 rimfire magnum and save all that powder that is burning outside your barrel

Even the mil tried it early on with the GAU and xm 177 shorties with the 10" barrel and went longer from there and seemed to settle on 14.5 as the bare minimum for lethality and velocity

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    In my opinion, 7.62 pistols = novelty range toy with no practical use, Im very close to that opinion with the 5.56 ones also, with that short of a barrel and a 55gr projectile, you will do better off with a 22 rimfire magnum and save all that powder that is burning outside your barrel

Even the mil tried it early on with the GAU and xm 177 shorties with the 10" barrel and went longer from there and seemed to settle on 14.5 as the bare minimum for lethality and velocity
    For the general purpose rifle they settled in 14.5 but that's simply a across the board standardization. There are plenty of units using 11.5" barrels for specific applications effectively. There is a lot of data out there showing that it's very effective in as low as 10.5 and then it falls.off drastically from there.

The MK18 that seals use is a 10.3" barrel which is considered a CQB and very effective out to 300m with proper ammunition selection. Like everything else the application, expectation, and real world use matter.
    Last edited by Hodgie; August 26th, 2020 at 07:31 AM.

(Montgomery County)

just my opinion but the only real drawbacks to owning these rifle caliber pistols are the noise. Not what i'd want to use for long range plinking but for a shtf scenario or scaring off a bunch of looters in your neighborhood i think they would be pretty close to ideal. Sure they are going to be meh after 200 yards are so but if you are shooting at someone 200 yards away you're most likely going to prison.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCzbt View Post
    just my opinion but the only real drawbacks to owning these rifle caliber pistols are the noise. Not what i'd want to use for long range plinking but for a shtf scenario or scaring off a bunch of looters in your neighborhood i think they would be pretty close to ideal. Sure they are going to be meh after 200 yards are so but if you are shooting at someone 200 yards away you're most likely going to prison.
    I see the convenience of the Galil pistol and its portability, Frankly, Where I live I don't see any shot being 200 yards unless I'm on the roof at work, Even then a slim chance Ide be defending myself at those distances, That would be reason to bring an 03A3 or M1 Garand,
    Im intrigued by the Galil Ace pistol with brace and may go and grab it and pass along the PLR16 in the future? We will see, If I do Ill post some pics here,
    Reviews are good saying that they will run with about any mag and a variety of ammo,

(Montgomery County)

The more I think about this the more I am convincing myself I need a galil ace

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/01/7-6...h-on-velocity/

It does seem like 762x39 is a much better choice for intermediate caliber pistols than 556 is. There's a much smaller % of velocity lost as the barrel length decreases, and the round doesn't rely quite so heavily on fragmentation to cause significant damage (like m193).

I have a 12.5 inch ak pistol and would certainly grab it over a 9mm in an SD/HD situation if it was within reach. A dead aor wolverine is in the plans for the future when i get my shit together and form a trust.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

7.62x39 does better out of a short barrel than 556 does. 7.62x51 out of a short barrel is really loud, the sound alone is enough to scare alot of people away.

(Allegheny County)

7.62x39 - 7" barrel
    I don't give two fucks about how loud it is. (and it's not that loud because the flash can directs the concussion forward)

It's become my favorite.

I'll link the build thread...
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=352379
    Last edited by Emptymag; August 26th, 2020 at 09:48 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast