Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: The Ruger-57...as in 5.7x28!

Semi on topic, had the Glock with the Rock Island 22TCM9R conversion barrel to the range today, 2nd time out. First trip was a hoot, I like the round but it by no means stands up to the 5.7, at least from my boom per buck perspective.
    Problem this time was every 2 or 3 rounds, there was either ftf or fte. Soent about a half hour of valuable range time putzing around. After swithching back to the standard barrel, the pistol was right as rain. I bought the barrel from grabagun, just sent them an email and request for a full refund.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Only thing I don't agree with Paul on is the trigger. Since Ruger and FN were both at the Outdoor Show, I got to test the triggers on the 57 and FiveseveN back-to-back. I thought the trigger on the Ruger-57 felt a lot better than the trigger on the FiveseveN. Neither are great, but the Ruger was better than the FN, IMO. Plus, being Ruger, I foresee a greater aftermarket for the 57 than the FN. It's only a matter of time before someone offers a trigger upgrade.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Only thing I don't agree with Paul on is the trigger. Since Ruger and FN were both at the Outdoor Show, I got to test the triggers on the 57 and FiveseveN back-to-back. I thought the trigger on the Ruger-57 felt a lot better than the trigger on the FiveseveN. Neither are great, but the Ruger was better than the FN, IMO. Plus, being Ruger, I foresee a greater aftermarket for the 57 than the FN. It's only a matter of time before someone offers a trigger upgrade.
    So I didn't try the Ruger, but I found the Five seveN MkII trigger they had there felt a lot heavier than my Five seveN IOM. Both would probably be better if it weren't for the magazine disconnect.

(York County)

Having used the FN FiveSeven and seeing this offering what I'd really like to see is a compact semi that takes advantage of the cartridge's smaller size. I wonder how many rounds of the 5.7x28 would fit into a pistol the size of a GLOCK 42?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Having used the FN FiveSeven and seeing this offering what I'd really like to see is a compact semi that takes advantage of the cartridge's smaller size. I wonder how many rounds of the 5.7x28 would fit into a pistol the size of a GLOCK 42?
    Not likely to see a 5.7x28mm compact or sub-compact pistol due to the OAL of cartridge. The grip on the Ruger is already as narrow - front to back - as it can be. Add to that the chamber that sits in front of the magwell, and you've already got a long gun before adding any barrel length. Ruger could offer a shorter barrel, but that would further handicap the 5.7 round that really excels in longer barrel lengths.

I'd like to see Ruger offer a revolver in 5.7x28mm. It may be a tough task given the bottleneck cartridge. But it might be easier to do and not require moonclips if they headspace off the case neck/mouth. That would require all 5.7x28mm to meet the same dimension requirements, and I already know that some boutique rounds don't match the AE or FN rounds. Would be cool if they could pull it off, however, as that would probably be the only way to make a compact gun in 5.7.
    Last edited by Ronin; February 19th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Yeah 5.7x28 is a pretty long cartridge AND it needs some barrel length to ramp up muzzle velocity. It wouldn't be very effective coming out of a sub-4.5" barrel
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Luzerne County)

I normally like Paul Harrell’s reviews. This one, however, left me wondering about his experience with the FiveSeven pistol.
    Mine has adjustable sights. They don’t drift.
    His group at 25 yards is very poor for that gun and not nearly my own experience. During load development, I had better groups at 100 yards than what be showed at 25.
    Maybe he was shooting offhand?

Interesting...

I didn't watch this video yet but I feel like MAC said the same thing a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I didn't watch this video yet but I feel like MAC said the same thing a few weeks back.
    Jay goes much more in depth. It's more than just a missing firing pin block.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast