Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default SE PA (Philly) AK gunsmith?

I have a Century Tantal AK74, I’m trying to find a gunsmith that would be able to rebarrel it and also install a side optic mount onto the receiver. I would provide the parts. I’d also like to have it refinished, preferably traditional black paint, or cerakote.

I’ve contacted a few area gunsmiths and everybody seems reluctant to work on AKs. Is there anybody on the forum with the know-how, or a recommendation of where I should go?

Thank you
    Last edited by nick2570; December 30th, 2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Title

(Delaware County)

Default Re: SE PA (Philly) AK gunsmith?

Grab yourself a HF 20ton press (like $150 with the 25% off coupon right now), and try it yourself. There are a plethora of instructional videos on YouTube. Also, Cerakote is available in an aerosol now, from Amazon. There are other, less expensive options that also work VERY well!

It really isn’t all that difficult. Building AK47s is where I started...back in ‘05... Right after the Billary Clinton AWB expired and the AK parts kits flooded our shores! I built a grip of those rifles back then! Good times.

Really though, it’s not difficult. And if you have a question, there are many here that can answer, me for instance.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like you guys need to setup a man date at DavidH's house. No better way to preserve the right to keep and bear arms than pass on and share gunsmithing knowledge for the most popular firearms.

(Philadelphia County)

I definitely wouldn’t mind doing it myself, however living in an apartment I definitely don’t have room to buy a 20 ton press.

(Delaware County)

In 2005 I lived in Tucson, AZ...in a 3 bedroom apt with my wife and 3 children...And that is where I first started teaching myself to perform trigger jobs, small repairs., and started building AK47 rifles.

But I do understand. If I had one, I would certainly let you use mine. Unfortunately, I don’t have my own press currently. I can’t tell you the press is not as large as you think. It’s pretty compact. And it actually comes apart for storage. You should research it. You could probably get away with their smaller 12ton. More compact, but should still do the job. Just needs to push the barrel & barrel pin. And yours has already been done, so the should push under normal adequate pressure. I was doing demilled AK kits with original barrels & pins STILL installed in the front trunions. These were parts kits from rifles that were 40-50 years old at the time! So corrosion has some of them seized in place, requiring tremendous amounts of force to break loose.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(York County)

I'm a bit of a drive located in York PA but I could definitely handle this project.

Quote Originally Posted by nick2570 View Post
    I definitely wouldn’t mind doing it myself, however living in an apartment I definitely don’t have room to buy a 20 ton press.

No need for a press. You can do what this guy did with tools from Toth Tool. He has a whole series of videos where he builds an AK from his kitchen table.