Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: I Am No Longer Cleaning My Guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Off topic a little, but I'm curious.

What do you do with the oil coating on the cases after resizing? Do you use a progressive press? If so, do you remove the oil after the resize stage or after the end of reloading process?

Hawk,
    Rolling the cases on the stamp pad puts such a small amount of lube on them that it is invisible, but well effective enough. I mostly use progressive presses and delube the cases following the entire reloading process. Primer or powder contamination is a non-issue.

For cleaning I use a microfiber cloth that's been immersed in a mixture of Simple Green or one of those citrus cleaner/degreasers (nothing marked "antibacterial") and water, then WELL WRUNG OUT such that the cloth is mostly damp. I move around on the cloth as I wipe the cases, not staying in one spot. Then I repeat with a microfiber cloth that's been similarly dampened in just water. It goes faster than it sounds.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

It's a good thing all of these products and tedious cleaning practices have been around since 1910 or so.
    Otherwise, all those WWI and WWII guns would have turned to piles of rust by now.

(Delaware County)

I do a light general cleaning before putting away. The only time I really clean them is when the groups start to open up...rifles. Pistols clean up in no time. Do it while watching fake news...at least you will be doing something real while watching something that's not!

(Berks County)

Okay, I get it a lot better now. In the end I need to look at what products I am using and maybe be a little less anal. That corrosion X may be the deal and quell my nerves. The whole lubricating after thing was a point of confusion but I get it now. Clean with an appropriate product, like say CLP. Then lube/oil points of interference like pivots, slides, lugs, etc with an appropriate lubricant which could be the same CLP you cleaned with. Then a protectant on the outside metal and down the barrel like a corrosion x type product.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    . . . Then a protectant on the outside metal and down the barrel like a corrosion x type product.
    Which could also be the CLP you used for cleaning and lubrication!

Noah

(Berks County)

True that but I know you think Corrosion X is best for that application which is why I said it.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's a good thing all of these products and tedious cleaning practices have been around since 1910 or so.
    Otherwise, all those WWI and WWII guns would have turned to piles of rust by now.

I recognize the sarcasm, but we're actually pretty fortunate to have the myriad products that are available early in the 21st century. There's a LOT of stuff out there that no doubt works, some better than others, but what I use I settled on some time ago because it worked well, and I didn't have either time or $$$ to keep inventing the wheel every time a new product was introduced. E.g., Frog Lube. I hear and read that it works wonders, but what I use does too; so why change for something that's more expensive?

When I was a kid in the late 50s and early 60s, my grandfather used a mix of plain kerosene and "white gas" (naptha, miserable spirits, etc.) for a solvent/cleaner, and for oiling he had an old can of "Socony-Vacuum" cylinder oil that he'd use to fill a "popping bottom" semi-spherical oil can (Socony was Standard Oil of NY; think: John D Rockefeller, Sr. and the "Vacuum" part came from Vacuum Oil Co. which merged with Socony).

My father used GI bore cleaner that he brought back in his duffel bag. It was a brownish liquid containing creosol that was nasty and as we later found out, carcinogenic. For oiling, he had a few cans of GI oil, and later a bottle of "Outers" Gun Oil.

Of course, I used all of those as a kid and teen, and later adopted cleaners and lubricants used by the 1970s and 1980s USMC as well as civilian products. A salty E-7 taught me about the STP/Marvel Mystery Oil on a stamp pad to lube cases for reloading, as he was a competitive pistol marksman. In the early 90s I had the opportunity to do "benchmarking" testing of commonly available oils and corrosion preventatives for my then employer for an internal project, and that's how I discovered Corrosion-X and how well it worked.

Noah

(Clarion County)

Good topic but needs some cheap fart, err..I mean frugal enthusiast to mention Ed's Red bore cleaner.
    Before someone mentions it's just kerosene check out his article: http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm
    I omit the acetone except for shotguns.
    However Noah's write up got my attention and I may need to pry open my wallet and try something new.
    As a side note on case lube I ran out of my preferred Imperial case wax late one Saturday evening. Taking a suggestion I went to the local gas/general store and substituted it with Alberto VO5 hair cream. Has a high lanolin and mineral oil content. Works great.
    Have since gone to Groom and Clean hair cream, same lanolin content but is water based.
    A tube will last years and clean up is easy.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    I'm looking at an Ultrasonic cleaner for small parts and handguns. I've heard very good things.
    How much is a good ultrasonic cleaner and who manufactures them?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Off topic a little, but I'm curious.

What do you do with the oil coating on the cases after resizing? Do you use a progressive press? If so, do you remove the oil after the resize stage or after the end of reloading process?

Hawk,
    I tumble my cases after resizing. Keeps my other dies cleaner that way.

As far as rifle cleaning, I drag a bore snake thru em after every range outing soaked with #9 and then every few hundred (or when velocity changes) hit the bore with some CLR. Barrel is done by 1000-1200rd and then its on to the next one. Bolt gets a wipe down and some wheel bearing grease. KISS.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast