Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Anyone shooting PPU .30-06 labeled “M1 Garand” ammo?

I picked up a Garand recently and I’m looking to feed it. I’ve heard the Greek HXP is the recommended surplus but I don’t really see much of it around or online. I saw some at the oaks show but was kind of in a hurry so I didn’t have a chance to really look around and compare. My research indicates Anything labeled M2 or anything that specifically mentions Garand on it should be fine whereas most modern sporting .30-06 is not recommended. This has brought me to consider the PPU M1 Garand labeled ammo as it seems like it’s not too hard to find and priced decently. I’ve shot PPU .308 for target practice in my Savage 99 with no problems, good accuracy, and it’s clean. I was just wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with it in a Garand and what your opinions are. Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone shooting PPU .30-06 labeled “M1 Garand” ammo?

I have shot both the PPU Garand and the Sellior and Bellot , both 150gr. No issues , my M1 is a 1943 Springfield. I am sure you know this but do not shoot modern 30-06 loads out of your M1 they can bend/break your op-rod.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

The PPU works fine it’s clean and accurate.

While you should not put any commercial loads into your standard M1 there are some non permanent mods that can be done making it safe for the rifle.

Last edited by Hodgie; December 29th, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

I can't even begin to count the number of 150-165gr pointed soft point commercial hunting ammunition by Federal , Remington and Winchester I fired thru my first Garand. Used to buy it cheap during pre-hunting season sales for $4.99 a box/20. Never knew it could break/bend the op-rod. Guess that's why I never bent one.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I have shot both the PPU Garand and the Sellior and Bellot , both 150gr. No issues , my M1 is a 1943 Springfield. I am sure you know this but do not shoot modern 30-06 loads out of your M1 they can bend/break your op-rod.
    Mine is also 1943 Springfield, February I think. Receiver serial and barrel date match.

I’ve already been advised against modern .30-06. Thanks all for your feedback. Looks like I’ll be picking up the PPU. May even try reloading for the Garand at some point in the future.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I can't even begin to count the number of 150-165gr pointed soft point commercial hunting ammunition by Federal , Remington and Winchester I fired thru my first Garand. Used to buy it cheap during pre-hunting season sales for $4.99 a box/20. Never knew it could break/bend the op-rod. Guess that's why I never bent one.
    Many years ago, when I got my first Garand, I found online a good explanation of this. It is the rate and curve of the gas supplied that affects operation. The article mostly showed how heavier bullets such as 180-220 were most likely to cause problems because they move out of the barrel a bit slower, with more pressure thus you get an extended push from the gasses. I would guess that is still out there somewhere if you really want to know. I do not have a current link and to not have a Garand at present so I no longer need the info.

To be safe, stick with GI or 'Garand' marked loads.

EDIT: might want to look at this: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition
    Last edited by gghbi; December 29th, 2019 at 01:40 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Here is a velocity demonstration of why not to use standard Ammo in your M1 unless you have the plug.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Mine is also 1943 Springfield, February I think. Receiver serial and barrel date match.

I’ve already been advised against modern .30-06. Thanks all for your feedback. Looks like I’ll be picking up the PPU. May even try reloading for the Garand at some point in the future.
    Mine is a January serial # . Target Sports USA is where I get a lot of my Garand ammo. Here is a link https://www.targetsportsusa.com/ (fwiw I am not affiliated any way with the website) here is another great resource site . http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

I have used PPU ammo in my French MAS 49/56, 7.5MM French, as it is about all I can find when I get tired of reloading for it. It's been excellent.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Here is a velocity demonstration of why not to use standard Ammo in your M1 unless you have the plug.

WWI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast