Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: 1st time air travel with firearm

TSA is SO variable from airport to airport it's scary.

Pittsburgh TSA doesn't give a shit about seeing your bagged liquids and gels outside your carry-on.

Coming back to PIT from Houston / Hobby last year, TSA minion did not simply ask me to remove the bagged liquids and gels, he shouted into his radio for a supervisor and asked me to step back to the incoming end of the inspection area will all my tubs of belongings, shoes, belt, laptop, etc.

I wait for 15-20 mins, then some heavy set middle aged guy in a tan sportcoat and breast pocket badge holder with an extension for some other bling. He says to the minion, "Where's the offender?" Minion points to me.
    Sportcoat asks me what I think I doing. "Trying to get through security," I said.
    "Don't get smart; you're in enough trouble," he says, getting into my bubble.
    "Trouble for what?"
    "Don't act like you don't know."
    "I don't," I say.
    "You failed to remove your bagged liquid and gel articles from your carry-on for TSA examination. This is serious."
    Now the whole time he's bellowing, and of course other travelers are gawking, and not a few are unzipping their carry-ons and rummaging for a quart sized ziploc bag of their own.
    "So now what?" I asked.
    "You wait here." And he steps away with my passport and boarding pass to the outgoing side of the scanners, looking at his watch once and chatting with some minions. I take it to mean he's making me an example, and I'll be cleared in just enough time to have to OJ throught the terminal to get to the gate.
    So I pick up the phone and call the number on a TSA poster on a divider wall, and hit 0 until a person answered. I gave my name, explained what was going on 100% truthfully, and asked to speak to the onsite TSA shift OIC. After some time listening to endless TSA PSAs, a guy comes on, sounds black, and asks if he can help me. I gave my name and related the circumstances and said I wished to lodge a formal complaint against (description of Sportcoat). The OIC mutters an expletive and asks me to wait there, he'd be a few. I assured him I was going nowhere.
    Another 10 mins and the guy from the Allstate commercials with his own sportcoat pocket badge holder comes up, asks the closest minion something, she points to me, he comes over, sticks out his hand.
    "I'm Soandso, the OIC," he said. "Give me a sec here to get this straightened out."
    OIC goes over to where Sportcoat is standing around, chest puffed out, and yukking with minions wearing UN Helmet Blue gloves. OIC launches into Sportcoat, but you can't hear him. Together they go through a door. Almost immediately they come back out, both come over to me, and Sportcoat, maroon-faced, says to me, "Sorry sir, there's been a terrible misunderstanding. We'll get you on you way if you'll follow me." He hands my passport and boarding pass, which I verify are mine. The three of us, Sportcoat, OIC, and me in the rear schlep my tubs over to a hand search table where a woman unzips my backpack and messinger bags, glances in, and zips them up. OIC comes up with my laptop in a tub after a quick pass through the X-ray belt. OIC tells me I can get my stuff together, asks if they can call a courtesy cart (No), and apologizes for "having to experience this."
    "You folks just doing a tough job," I said. "Thank you for your help."
    And he wished me a safe flight, then turned and motioned for Sportcoat to follow. And if Sportcoat's looks could kill . . .

Lesson learned: Don't fuck around and forget to take your bagged liquids and gels out of your carry-on when you get to the TSA X-ray belt.

In Houston.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    The case.

Which, I might add, gave no complications. Even though I was reloading the night before and I had a box of reloads in there.
    I'm just wondering what the heck they are looking for. I could be wrong, but from what I remember from chemistry, I'd think the nitrogen compounds in the powder would tend to trigger the checks for explosives that they would be doing.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried. It would be on them if they were supposed to give you declaration paperwork and didn't. You did your part by declaring it. In my experience, I've always filled out a tag and signed it. But then everything varies with airlines and airports (tag on outside of pistol case vs inside). Further, airports have vastly different procedures for bag handling from there.

San Antonio has you accompany TSA while they inspect your bag. I had the agent tell me I couldn't have loaded mags in my gun case and I stood my ground because I knew you could and his supervisor confirmed. In Denver they have you walk with airport staff to the TSA X-RAY room to confirm everything is good. In Philly they just suggest waiting for 15 min by the ticket counter in case TSA finds an issue (never had that happen since I have a good case and follow procedure). In Palm Beach they just take it and say enjoy your flight.
    I wish that was the case in West Palm Beach. Last time I flew out of there, in August of this year (2019), American Airlines asked me to wait for 10-15 minutes before going through the security screening, in case TSA wanted to open the case to inspect. I waited 15 minutes, no call from TSA, then went through the checkpoint to the gate. My flight was delayed by weather for over two hours, so I went to get lunch. I then boarded my flight to Philly. When I arrived at Philly, I noticed a missed phone call from American Airlines, the message asking me to call the WPB baggage office. They told me my bag was still in Florida, and I should go to the baggage office in Harrisburg (my final destination), and they would tell me why, and what I had to do to get it.

I went to the Harrisburg baggage office, where the woman told me TSA wanted to inspect my (properly stored and locked) pistol, but neither TSA nor the airline could locate me and I did not respond to their repeated attempts over the PA system. I had to give them my pistol case key, which they overnighted (but it took 2 days, since it was already too late for the overnight envelope to be sent that day), then I had to make several calls to confirm the WPB AA baggage office received the key and had TSA unlock and inspect the pistol, at which point it was then put on a plane and sent to Harrisburg.

Overall AA and TSA suck.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    TSA is SO variable from airport to airport it's scary.

Pittsburgh TSA doesn't give a shit about seeing your bagged liquids and gels outside your carry-on.

Coming back to PIT from Houston / Hobby last year, TSA minion did not simply ask me to remove the bagged liquids and gels, he shouted into his radio for a supervisor and asked me to step back to the incoming end of the inspection area will all my tubs of belongings, shoes, belt, laptop, etc.

I wait for 15-20 mins, then some heavy set middle aged guy in a tan sportcoat and breast pocket badge holder with an extension for some other bling. He says to the minion, "Where's the offender?" Minion points to me.
    Sportcoat asks me what I think I doing. "Trying to get through security," I said.
    "Don't get smart; you're in enough trouble," he says, getting into my bubble.
    "Trouble for what?"
    "Don't act like you don't know."
    "I don't," I say.
    "You failed to remove your bagged liquid and gel articles from your carry-on for TSA examination. This is serious."
    Now the whole time he's bellowing, and of course other travelers are gawking, and not a few are unzipping their carry-ons and rummaging for a quart sized ziploc bag of their own.
    "So now what?" I asked.
    "You wait here." And he steps away with my passport and boarding pass to the outgoing side of the scanners, looking at his watch once and chatting with some minions. I take it to mean he's making me an example, and I'll be cleared in just enough time to have to OJ throught the terminal to get to the gate.
    So I pick up the phone and call the number on a TSA poster on a divider wall, and hit 0 until a person answered. I gave my name, explained what was going on 100% truthfully, and asked to speak to the onsite TSA shift OIC. After some time listening to endless TSA PSAs, a guy comes on, sounds black, and asks if he can help me. I gave my name and related the circumstances and said I wished to lodge a formal complaint against (description of Sportcoat). The OIC mutters an expletive and asks me to wait there, he'd be a few. I assured him I was going nowhere.
    Another 10 mins and the guy from the Allstate commercials with his own sportcoat pocket badge holder comes up, asks the closest minion something, she points to me, he comes over, sticks out his hand.
    "I'm Soandso, the OIC," he said. "Give me a sec here to get this straightened out."
    OIC goes over to where Sportcoat is standing around, chest puffed out, and yukking with minions wearing UN Helmet Blue gloves. OIC launches into Sportcoat, but you can't hear him. Together they go through a door. Almost immediately they come back out, both come over to me, and Sportcoat, maroon-faced, says to me, "Sorry sir, there's been a terrible misunderstanding. We'll get you on you way if you'll follow me." He hands my passport and boarding pass, which I verify are mine. The three of us, Sportcoat, OIC, and me in the rear schlep my tubs over to a hand search table where a woman unzips my backpack and messinger bags, glances in, and zips them up. OIC comes up with my laptop in a tub after a quick pass through the X-ray belt. OIC tells me I can get my stuff together, asks if they can call a courtesy cart (No), and apologizes for "having to experience this."
    "You folks just doing a tough job," I said. "Thank you for your help."
    And he wished me a safe flight, then turned and motioned for Sportcoat to follow. And if Sportcoat's looks could kill . . .

Lesson learned: Don't fuck around and forget to take your bagged liquids and gels out of your carry-on when you get to the TSA X-ray belt.

In Houston.

Noah
    Sorry for all that trouble. Sounds night-marish. Thanks for the heads-up though.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I wish that was the case in West Palm Beach. Last time I flew out of there, in August of this year (2019), American Airlines asked me to wait for 10-15 minutes before going through the security screening, in case TSA wanted to open the case to inspect. I waited 15 minutes, no call from TSA, then went through the checkpoint to the gate. My flight was delayed by weather for over two hours, so I went to get lunch. I then boarded my flight to Philly. When I arrived at Philly, I noticed a missed phone call from American Airlines, the message asking me to call the WPB baggage office. They told me my bag was still in Florida, and I should go to the baggage office in Harrisburg (my final destination), and they would tell me why, and what I had to do to get it.

I went to the Harrisburg baggage office, where the woman told me TSA wanted to inspect my (properly stored and locked) pistol, but neither TSA nor the airline could locate me and I did not respond to their repeated attempts over the PA system. I had to give them my pistol case key, which they overnighted (but it took 2 days, since it was already too late for the overnight envelope to be sent that day), then I had to make several calls to confirm the WPB AA baggage office received the key and had TSA unlock and inspect the pistol, at which point it was then put on a plane and sent to Harrisburg.

Overall AA and TSA suck.
    That sounds worse than Noah. Sorry about that experience.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I got him for you.
    Please post a follow up so we know how it turned out.
    Spoke with her a bit ago. So far, she's got the firearm in her possession and made it through the heart of the city without any flashing lights behind her.

Based on the stories here, we'll see if the return flight is as few incidents as the ride up.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    Spoke with her a bit ago. So far, she's got the firearm in her possession and made it through the heart of the city without any flashing lights behind her.

Based on the stories here, we'll see if the return flight is as few incidents as the ride up.
    Thanks for the follow up.
    I hope she has a safe trip.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    That sounds worse than Noah. Sorry about that experience.
    The entire travel experience was a nightmare. Each leg of the flights, two legs each way, was delayed a minimum of two hours. The first leg, H'burg to Philly, was cancelled after we checked baggage, so we had to claim our baggage, go home, and come back the next day for a flight to a different airport (Ft. Lauderdale, almost an hour from WPB). We almost had our rental car towed from our daughter's apartment complex at 1 am. Fortunately, I was up with my crying 8 month old grandson, and saw the flashing lights outside and investigated, or the car would have been gone in the morning! Then the whole TSA/AA debacle on the way home, along with the delays. At the time, I swore if I was going somewhere within a 2-day drive, I would drive instead of fly, and I told AA I would never fly with them again.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post

Overall AA and TSA suck.
    Technically I believe they asked you to violate federal law with that. The traveler is the only person that should retain the key to their case. Obviously it worked out the best it could under the circumstances.

I have my name, number and email taped to the outside of my case just in case they need to get in touch with me while I'm in the terminal. Hasn't ever happened yet, but it's a good practice for sure.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

In Houston.

Noah
    TSA PreCheck. Best $ I ever spent. No removing belts, shoes, jackets or liquids from carry ons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast