Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: To Legion or not to Legion, that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If the other mags are working properly then it is most likely a bad mag, maybe the feed lips are warped just enough to cause a problem under full spring pressure.
    Test several other mags repeatedly to make sure you are not getting the same recurring problem, since that would indicate there is a problem with the gun itself.
    I did tag the questionable mag with masking tape and set it aside to examine when not at the range.

All 3 mags had some very slight movement when seated and trying to wiggle them. The other two magazine had no issue feeding, and I loaded them up with 15 rounds 3 times each. I also plan on testing feeding with dummy rounds so I can be a little safer when checking out the questionable magazine.

Also, reading through the owner's manual, I see that it says that using any reloads will void all warranties.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I did tag the questionable mag with masking tape and set it aside to examine when not at the range.

All 3 mags had some very slight movement when seated and trying to wiggle them. The other two magazine had no issue feeding, and I loaded them up with 15 rounds 3 times each. I also plan on testing feeding with dummy rounds so I can be a little safer when checking out the questionable magazine.

Also, reading through the owner's manual, I see that it says that using any reloads will void all warranties.
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure EVERY gun manual says that regardless of manufacturer.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure EVERY gun manual says that regardless of manufacturer.
    YES, this is kind of a standard thing for gunmakers.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Looks like I can get what I want from this place:

https://t5customkydex.com/custom/

However they aren't showing them until they start taking orders again on the 10th.

Also, made it to the range tonight. Good thing I did, this was the last day of my membership. I'll re-up the next time I go in.

Had a failure to load on one magazine. Tried 3 times and it looks like it was hitting high on the barrel. Not sure the cause though. I took the top round out, and then it worked. I verified I hadn't gone over 15 before removing the round too.

Too much pressure from the spring cocking the tip of the round up maybe?

Other than that, I'm really liking the reflex sight. Though I did have to take off my magnifying shooting glasses and put on plain ones. That should carry over well if I ever have to use in while on duty. And as a testament to my trainers, I'm not having to spend much time finding the dot. I bring it up in line with the iron sights very close to my intended point of aim, and the dot is almost where I want it better than 90% of the time.
    I really should know this (since I've actually made a lot of them) but looking at the light options for the holster, I'm planning on getting the Streamlight TLR-7. But looking at that, and the TLR-8, I'm thinking if I get the TLR-8 sizing in the holster, I could run either the 7 or the 8. I'm not planning on getting a laser with the light, but down the road I might change my mind.

So, holster set up for a TLR-8 should be fine with a TLR-7 light instead? Yes or no?

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If the other mags are working properly then it is most likely a bad mag, maybe the feed lips are warped just enough to cause a problem under full spring pressure.
    Test several other mags repeatedly to make sure you are not getting the same recurring problem, since that would indicate there is a problem with the gun itself.
    Well, I finally brought the questionable mag back to the range when I had time to check it out. I think it is a spring problem. It is much harder to load the last round in the magazine than it is for the other two magazines that came withe the Legion. I use an UpLULA to load my magazines, and all the other P229 mags I need to move the metal scoop bar a little out and then I can slide the last round in without a lot of pressure. Using that method, I can't load the last round in this magazine. I'm sure I'm not trying to add a 16th round, because I'm counting them out ahead of time. I can get the last round loaded by hand. And when I look at it when letting the slide release go it gets the round pushed about 1/3rd to 1/2 way forward, but not enough to actually strip it off the top of the mag before friction stops it.

With 14 rounds, it will properly side forward and strip off a round 2 out of the 3 times I tried.

The feed lips look the same as the other two magazines and I can't find anything else that looks different.

Buy a replacement spring and switch them out? Take it apart and see if the spring is somehow hung up in the magazine and overcompressed?

Just buy a new magazine and toss this one?

I know I should have a few on hand just in case one goes bad and I can swap it out.

(Montgomery County)

Well, I finally brought the questionable mag back to the range when I had time to check it out. I think it is a spring problem. It is much harder to load the last round in the magazine than it is for the other two magazines that came withe the Legion. I use an UpLULA to load my magazines, and all the other P229 mags I need to move the metal scoop bar a little out and then I can slide the last round in without a lot of pressure. Using that method, I can't load the last round in this magazine. I'm sure I'm not trying to add a 16th round, because I'm counting them out ahead of time. I can get the last round loaded by hand. And when I look at it when letting the slide release go it gets the round pushed about 1/3rd to 1/2 way forward, but not enough to actually strip it off the top of the mag before friction stops it.

With 14 rounds, it will properly side forward and strip off a round 2 out of the 3 times I tried.

The feed lips look the same as the other two magazines and I can't find anything else that looks different.

Buy a replacement spring and switch them out? Take it apart and see if the spring is somehow hung up in the magazine and overcompressed?

Just buy a new magazine and toss this one?

I know I should have a few on hand just in case one goes bad and I can swap it out.
    Personally, I would buy a new mag, and if the problems disappear across the board then that's that.
    Then you can experiment with the bad mag however you want, but that's beyond my expertise.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Well, I was getting ready for my trip and decided to take apart the one problem magazine and one that wasn't having problems.

The problem magazine spring is on the right and is about 1/2" longer than the other. I figure that is what is giving it the extra tension. I can get a replacement spring for about $8. I'll try that and see if that fixes the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12