Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Process question (order of operations)

Joshironshaft sez:
    Whatever you buy, get one of the slick LED light strips that mounts under the press head and lights up your cases. So amazing for $30-ish.
    Sounds like a great idea! How about more detail on this. Brand name? How mount? Maybe even a pic of your set up?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Danke! Looks interesting.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Picked this up today:

Notice I did get the light strips as recommended. According to the receipt, they were $24.99

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Picked this up today:

Notice I did get the light strips as recommended. According to the receipt, they were $24.99

Thanks!
    The roller handle from inline fabrication is way better than the original. You'll see the difference if you load a couple hundred rounds at a time.

Another tip is put a lock washer on the bolt that holds down the shell plate. Otherwise it constantly backs off and causes problems.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Luzerne County)

Life is too short to clean primer pockets. I gave up sorting cases by brand decades ago....No difference detected in accuracy or function. Why add another step to the process?
    The first die on your press has a decapping pin....there is absolutely no reason to deprime first....again, why add an operation when the point of a progressive press is to streamline things?
    If my cases are really dirty, I will batch clean a few hundred. If not, then they go into a handy container on the case loading side of the press (either a Square Deal B or a 550). Bullets are on the left. Before starting a session, I check the powder drop so as to be sure that it is dropping the correct charge. Then I load.
    Pete
    PS: i like that light strip idea.
    Last edited by Pete D.; January 6th, 2020 at 11:40 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Joshironshaft sez: Sounds like a great idea! How about more detail on this. Brand name? How mount? Maybe even a pic of your set up?
    This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/KMS-Squared-R.../dp/B07DCZ84MH
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Life is too short to clean primer pockets. I gave up sorting cases by brand decades ago....No difference detected in accuracy or function. Why add another step to the process?
    The first die on your press has a decapping pin....there is absolutely no reason to deprime first....again, why add an operation when the point of a progressive press is to streamline things?
    If my cases are really dirty, I will batch clean a few hundred. If not, then they go into a handy container on the case loading side of the press (either a Square Deal B or a 550). Bullets are on the left. Before starting a session, I check the powder drop so as to be sure that it is dropping the correct charge. Then I load.
    Pete
    PS: i like that light strip idea.
    I sort between military and commercial. For me it is more of a safety procedure. Military brass is thicker and your pressures will be higher using the same load in commercial. If you are near max in commercial brass you could be over max with the same load in Military Brass.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    I sort between military and commercial. For me it is more of a safety procedure. Military brass is thicker and your pressures will be higher using the same load in commercial. If you are near max in commercial brass you could be over max with the same load in Military Brass.
    Personally, i rarely use military brass. It is, however, easy enough to sort out as one puts the cases into the press.
    I reload mostly .45 ACP target loads and max pressure issues are not a factor, so no sorting. For .223 Rem, i picked up a factory case of Winchester primed brass and am working my way through that....no sizing or priming. When I am done, then I will have a case of once fired brass to work through.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    This is the one I have on my Dillon 550, makes so much nicer to see what is going on.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast