Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Henrys .22 lever action - 2019 reviews

Hey, y'all. I'm considering buying a Henrys H001 .22 lr lever action for hunting and plinking. The last thread here addressing them is from 2011. How have these rifles fared over the last 8-9 years? Are they still well made? Reliable? Anything I should need to know? Are the Walmart versions the same as LGS versions or are they cheaper like the old K Mart/Walmart/department store Marlins/Winchesters, etc.?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Default Re: Henrys .22 lever action - 2019 reviews

They are still excellent rifles, very smooth, extremely reliable, accurate, and only seem to get better with use.

I wouldn’t hesitate to ever recommend a Henry regardless of the caliber.

As far as the models sold in Walmart their pricing isn’t that far off for me to think it’s of lesser quality. I don’t see Henry as a company ever doing that considering the amount of pride and the warranty they have on their rifles.

Buy with confidence.

This is one of the few Youtube channels I still follow. He’s just a regular guy who has done some good stuff with a few different Henry rifles including the 22lr models. If your interested check out the below link. The H001 is definitely in there.

Henry playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BMCTrip...ry&app=desktop

Last edited by Hodgie; December 17th, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

(Centre County)

I have a great one for sale, already scoped here on the forum. I would have bought it myself except I already have one. Henry's are a very well made rifle, I don't know that I have ever heard of bad reviews.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=353644
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Any excuse to post a pic of mine. LOL!

I don't know when it was made. I bought it... maybe 6 years ago? I can't recall for sure - I picked it up used in like-new condition.
    I've since removed the scope.

Smooth as butter.

My wife bought her H001 at Walmart 14 or 15 years ago and it's basically the same as the H001 my father owns. The only difference is the front sight, which on her originally was an all-in-one plastic sight and barrel band. Henry updated the front sight and barrel band on the H001 with a metal version a few years after she bought hers. By that time I'd already upgraded the sights.

She recently bought a Henry Frontier H001TV in .17 HMR. Same smooth action. Same excellent accuracy. Same reliability. Her dad bought a Golden Boy in .22 back in June. Again, great gun in every way.

I'm planning to get an H001TSPR - that's the Frontier with a 24" threaded barrel. Just waiting to get a can to put on the end of it.

I think you'll be happy with an H001 if you get one. They really are fantastic guns. And in the off chance you need Henry to fix something, their Customer Service is among the best in the business.

(Montgomery County)

I have the .22 mag version, bought in 2016. the fit And finish on it is great, shoots awesome and it’s one of my favorites

I have the Frontier model with the octagon barrel. I added a factory large loop. It is one of my favorite rifles. The grade of wood for the price paid far exceeds anything else I have in the safe. The wood is just as good as the wood that came on my .44 carbine.

(Elk County)

I have handled and fired a number of Henry rifles including .22, .327 Federal, .357, .44, and 45-70. They are well made and reliable, most often have exceptional furniture, and have smooth actions, but in my opinion they are heavy, clunky-handling, and have quirky-looking trim and fit of components. I have mixed emotions about all of them being tube-loaded, even the models chambered for the large cartridges.

When I became interested in the .32 H&R Magnum and the .327 Federal in revolvers, I SO wanted to get a blued steel Henry with regular lever loop in .327 Federal. I've handled them in stores three or four times, and fired one belonging to an acquaintance. The small .32 bore in a fairly large octagonal barrel makes for a heavy rifle whose balance is shifted too far forward. The transition of the barrel to the receiver is not smooth; the barrel looks mis-mated at the joint. The forend, especially at its front, looks too "thick," too "large," and disproportioned. Same for the front barrel bands on most of the guns, and the .22 in particular -- it appears way to be way too disproportionally large in section, and the cross screw at the bottom is not at all aesthetically pleasing. The gaps between the magazine tubes and the barrels appear to be too wide compared to that of the competition.

I'm sorry; they look cobbled-up as a result. They are discordant; the visual equivalent of an orchestra or chorus that's harshly out of tune. They have none of the sleekness of a Winchester, Marlin, or even a Savage levergun. That's why I've never been able to purchase one.

No offense; JMO.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; December 21st, 2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

^ Sounds reasonable.

I think of them as "exceptional for a budget option".
    "Real" lever guns are on another level.

FYI: They have been making rear loading gates in some models for larger cartridges for over 9 months now.

I don't agree with much of what Noah said above but it's good to have a spectrum of opinions and he probably has more lever gun experience then I do.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 21st, 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast