Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Henrys .22 lever action - 2019 reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have handled and fired a number of Henry rifles including .22, .327 Federal, .357, .44, and 45-70. They are well made and reliable, most often have exceptional furniture, and have smooth actions, but in my opinion they are heavy, clunky-handling, and have quirky-looking trim and fit of components. I have mixed emotions about all of them being tube-loaded, even the models chambered for the large cartridges.

When I became interested in the .32 H&R Magnum and the .327 Federal in revolvers, I SO wanted to get a blued steel Henry with regular lever loop in .327 Federal. I've handled them in stores three or four times, and fired one belonging to an acquaintance. The small .32 bore in a fairly large octagonal barrel makes for a heavy rifle whose balance is shifted too far forward. The transition of the barrel to the receiver is not smooth; the barrel looks mis-mated at the joint. The forend, especially at its front, looks too "thick," too "large," and disproportioned. Same for the front barrel bands on most of the guns, and the .22 in particular -- it appears way to be way too disproportionally large in section, and the cross screw at the bottom is not at all aesthetically pleasing. The gaps between the magazine tubes and the barrels appear to be too wide compared to that of the competition.

I'm sorry; they look cobbled-up as a result. They are discordant; the visual equivalent of an orchestra or chorus that's harshly out of tune. They have none of the sleekness of a Winchester, Marlin, or even a Savage levergun. That's why I've never been able to purchase one.

No offense; JMO.

Noah
    Yeah. I hear what you are saying about the gap between the barrel and the tube magazine, etc. I've noticed that on the .22 and it is the one thing that has been holding me back. It does look a little "off". But, at the same time, I realize that this isn't the same gun as my dad's old Winchester 94-.22. Not even close. But, by the same token, for the price and function and what I intend to use it for, it really doesn't need to be (although it would be nice if it were).

I was mostly asking to find out if there was any noticable difference in quality between their larger caliber rifles and their rimfire rifles. And the answer seems to be "no". I have a Big Boy (hate the name) in .44 magnum that my dad gifted me for Christmas many years ago. (Dad helped my brother financially with a brutal divorce and didn't want to short-change me, so bought me the rifle. I got the better part of the deal). It is a quality rifle even if it does look "off".

I also wanted to know if the Walmart-branded rifles were cheaper than LGS models somehow. And that answer appears to be "no" as well.

I think I'll start looking for one if these.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Yeah. I hear what you are saying about the gap between the barrel and the tube magazine, etc. I've noticed that on the .22 and it is the one thing that has been holding me back. It does look a little "off". But, at the same time, I realize that this isn't the same gun as my dad's old Winchester 94-.22. Not even close. But, by the same token, for the price and function and what I intend to use it for, it really doesn't need to be (although it would be nice if it were).

I was mostly asking to find out if there was any noticable difference in quality between their larger caliber rifles and their rimfire rifles. And the answer seems to be "no". I have a Big Boy (hate the name) in .44 magnum that my dad gifted me for Christmas many years ago. (Dad helped my brother financially with a brutal divorce and didn't want to short-change me, so bought me the rifle. I got the better part of the deal). It is a quality rifle even if it does look "off".

I also wanted to know if the Walmart-branded rifles were cheaper than LGS models somehow. And that answer appears to be "no" as well.

I think I'll start looking for one if these.
    Coincidentally, I used the barrel band from a Winchester 9422 when I replaced the plastic front sight on my wife's H001. I'd installed a Williams shorty ramp and fiber optic sight, and since the factory sight had the barrel band incorporated, I needed another barrel band. The 9422 worked, but it needed to be fitted a bit. Henry sent me a metal rear barrel band for free. At the time, they weren't offering metal front sights for the H001. Now all of the H001s come with metal barrel bands and front sights.

(Franklin County)

I have never had any problems with mine. The forend wood has always been secured well, never came loose as some have, or so I have read. The only drawback is the original front “post” sight as it is not as good as the one on the Golden Boy. But the fit and finish is very nice. Here are my two. I think I paid $290 for it about three years ago from a local dealer.

image uploader online
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; December 21st, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Elk County)

My opinion is entirely aesthetics- and handling-based. My comments take nothing away from the high build quality or functionality of Henry rifles. JMO, nothing more. If they work for the rest of yinz, enjoy. It's why ice cream comes in so many flavors; not everyone likes pistachio.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    My opinion is entirely aesthetics- and handling-based. My comments take nothing away from the high build quality or functionality of Henry rifles. JMO, nothing more. If they work for the rest of yinz, enjoy. It's why ice cream comes in so many flavors; not everyone likes pistachio.

Noah
    I take zero offense to the knowledge based opinions of others, and I know you have a lot of experience. It's what so many of these sites were truly made for and why they are still going strong today even though deemed obsolete as compared to other social media platforms.

(Allegheny County)

Enough info here to form an opinion but I'll add.. I love leverguns. I love my Henry Frontier model .22 My wife bought mine for me for Christmas about 4 years ago. It was from LGS so I don't know much about LGS vs Walmart. Very well built. Heavy gun but doesn't bother me at all and I've carried it in the woods small game hunting all day. I would like a set of Skinner sights for it, but that's my eyes not a knock on the rifle. Oh no, just looked at their website, side gate in .35 remington.....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Enough info here to form an opinion but I'll add.. I love leverguns. I love my Henry Frontier model .22 My wife bought mine for me for Christmas about 4 years ago. It was from LGS so I don't know much about LGS vs Walmart. Very well built. Heavy gun but doesn't bother me at all and I've carried it in the woods small game hunting all day. I would like a set of Skinner sights for it, but that's my eyes not a knock on the rifle. Oh no, just looked at their website, side gate in .35 remington.....
    I tell you what. I just bought a Remlin 336 in .35 Remington and couldn't be happier. It's actually nicer than my old Marlin from the original factory. If there were problems with Marlins after Remington bought them, it appears that they've got their act together. It is one sweet rifle. But I did notice the side gates since I've been to Henrys website. They are nice.

(Wayne County)

OK, now that the holidays are over (and my truck didn't need that transfer case after all), I'll probably be grabbing one within the next month. So, the next question is:

Blued/black Classic or Golden Boy?

What would be nice is if they made an add-on receiver cover for the Golden Boy that was camouflaged, so you could swap out for hunting. I like the Golden Boy better, but shiny is no good for coyote hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    OK, now that the holidays are over (and my truck didn't need that transfer case after all), I'll probably be grabbing one within the next month. So, the next question is:

Blued/black Classic or Golden Boy?

What would be nice is if they made an add-on receiver cover for the Golden Boy that was camouflaged, so you could swap out for hunting. I like the Golden Boy better, but shiny is no good for coyote hunting.
    I like the brass receivers and my big boy is very nice however I believe that the 22lr versions are just covers and not the actual material the receiver is made from so you might want to save a few bucks and go with the blued steel.

The replaceable covers would be a cool option.

(Berks County)

I just got a Henry Big Boy .44 Steel for Christmas and I’m in the market for a .22 this spring ...it will more than likely be a Henry .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast