Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: State police told to treat ‘ghost guns’ parts as firearms

I appreciate your position. However, it’s wrong...But....Sooner or later I will have to fight to keep it/get it back?? What are you talking about! You believe what you want...I’ll stick with United States law. Although my younger brother is one of the top officers in highway patrol where we live....OH! And he’s the departments Firearms Instructor. He has been with me many times while I’m carrying my P80 SC, and he’s seen it, knows about it. Maybe he’s just biding his time before he TAKES it from me!! LOL. (Btw, he is also a combat vet..member of the Corps... Semper Fi Marine)

The only time a cop could get possession of my firearm LEGALLY, is if I was involved in a self defense situation. In which case, worrying about the gun would be the least of my concerns.

As I said, read US & State law! Our 2A gives us these rights, and US law is already ROCK SOLID! We have the RIGHT to build our own firearms. That includes carrying!

This isn’t Commifornia! Pa does not have a “registry” or “roster” that people are lawfully OBLIGATED to follow. The PA registry in question is for law enforcement. Has nothing to do citizens following the law.
    Last edited by DavidH; December 29th, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I appreciate your position. However, it’s wrong...But....Sooner or later I will have to fight to keep it/get it back?? What are you talking about! You believe what you want...I’ll stick with United States law. Although my younger brother is one of the top officers in highway patrol where we live....OH! And he’s the departments Firearms Instructor. He has been with me many times while I’m carrying my P80 SC, and he’s seen it, knows about it. Maybe he’s just biding his time before he TAKES it from me!! LOL. (Btw, he is also a combat vet..member of the Corps... Semper Fi Marine)

The only time a cop could get possession of my firearm LEGALLY, is if I was involved in a self defense situation. In which case, worrying about the gun would be the least of my concerns.

As I said, read US & State law! Our 2A gives us these rights, and US law is already ROCK SOLID! We have the RIGHT to build our own firearms. That includes carrying!

This isn’t Commifornia! Pa does not have a “registry” or “roster” that people are lawfully OBLIGATED to follow. The PA registry in question is for law enforcement. Has nothing to do citizens following the law.
    Cool story bro !

(Allegheny County)

This is going to sound offensive and argumentative, but it's not meant to be - there's just no better way to "say" it in text...

You sound delusional with your repeated statements of "fact", saying that the police CAN'T take your gun. I've read enough stories to know that it happens - I listen to the police scanner and I hear them "run numbers" to see if a gun "belongs" to someone they have stopped.

You absolutely CAN have your gun taken from you even if you've done nothing wrong. The courts will settle it later - you will probably win, but it's just not responsible to tell people that "nothing can happen to them" if they carry a handgun with no numbers on them.

It's better to acknowledge the reality that a gun with no numbers COULD cause you problems than to dismiss that possibility entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is going to sound offensive and argumentative, but it's not meant to be - there's just no better way to "say" it in text...

You sound delusional with your repeated statements of "fact", saying that the police CAN'T take your gun. I've read enough stories to know that it happens - I listen to the police scanner and I hear them "run numbers" to see if a gun "belongs" to someone they have stopped.

You absolutely CAN have your gun taken from you even if you've done nothing wrong. The courts will settle it later - you will probably win, but it's just not responsible to tell people that "nothing can happen to them" if they carry a handgun with no numbers on them.

It's better to acknowledge the reality that a gun with no numbers COULD cause you problems than to dismiss that possibility entirely.
    This is true, there's much solid evidence of it happening.

A typical scenario is this: You're driving along, keeping up with traffic, and you get pulled over because traffic was doing 10 MPH over the limit, and so were you.

Officer asks you flat out, "do you have any weapons in the car?" Catches you off guard, you say "yes, I'm licensed to carry." He takes the gun into custody "for everyone's safety", and without any probable cause he goes back and runs the serial number (or notices the lack thereof.)

He decides that you're committing a crime, because (a) he thinks it's illegal to possess a gun without a serial number (he's close, it's illegal to possess a gun which HAD a serial number but had it REMOVED), and/or (b) he thinks that we have gun registration here in PA. He thinks that we have registration because HE'S USED IT MANY TIMES. When he calls in a serial number, make & model, most of the time he gets back the name of the person he took it from, leading him to believe that when it DOESN'T come back that way, there's nefarious mischief afoot and he can keep the gun.

Yes, you'll probably get the gun back, if he's honest about everything and your lawyer knows the law. Probably cost you $1500+. You might get some or all of that back, if the judge knows the law and doesn't hate gun owners (don't expect this in Philadelphia, they mostly hate you).

Could this happen? Yep. We know this because it HAS happened.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Warren County)

Hello David

Your perception of the reality is.... shall i say.. a bit naive?

Please recall Lon Horuchi and Vicki Weaver?

Maybe Waco, Tx and Janet Reno ring a bell?

How about VA legislture turning blue because Bloomburg bought the election and immediately started gun control / confiscation laws?

News flash. The PSP alredy treat the illegal sales database as a registry.

And philly will revoke your LTCF if your gun is stolen.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Lackawanna County)

Context to the story & my view: way back in 1990, when I came back to PA (intending on "passing thru" to a better job), I met an old friend who was in the PSP. He & I had a falling out (told me I had to get my vehicle plates changed and new registration for vehicles now that I was in PA - that's another story), and came right out about not having guns from "out of state" registered in PA on the bought/sold list. Yes, even back then it was a "thing".

So yes, for range/house use these "unlisted" weapons are okay, but not best advised for daily carry. Not saying don't, or you can't do it, but go forth with the knowledge it might add extra problems if the LEO interacting with you was like my ex-friend was.

And yes, this misfit POS "friend" was not long afterward "asked" to leave the PSP. Not because of me, but his own "God syndrome" of lording over anyone who crossed his path. If you use/carry your out of state/homemade pistol, it would be advisable to be sure you have at home (or your lawyers place) complete copies of any documentation proving you bought/own the pistol/parts. If you never need the papers, that's great. If you do need the proof, it's best to already have the packet in one place, ready for your lawyer to present it.

(Bucks County)

My carry advice. Buy two used Glock 23s. When one gets taken for investigation, you'll have a backup when you get home.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

My 2c is I've had a gun taken during a traffic stop (Indiana County police), the next day I went to the county PD, said "I'm here to claim the 9mm sig that was seized last night", they called PICS, I came back as non prohibited, they gave me the gun back. Took 10 minutes.

I'd bought the gun 2 states and 3 addresses prior, no PA record that I owned it, and cop at the stop asked "is this registered in PA?"

Answer being "no, I moved to PA a year ago and brought all of my stuff with me".

Well I see you are relatively new here, maybe take some time to read all the stories of philly cops taking guns when there's been no crime. And to think they dont use the record of sale as a registry.... well its happening, and you need to get out more maybe youd see for yourself.

(Berks County)

The moral of the story is that while you may be correct with the laws there is no penalty for them breaking them and the cost and burden of providing them wrong all falls on you. They can afford to lose but can you afford to win? I could but wouldn’t want to.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast