Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile ANTERLESS HARVEST

The last Day of Firearms in 3D at 4:20pm three does walked alongside the Laurels on the Devils Hole In Monroe Co. Took a shot at the largest of the three.Me and my buddy went tracking heavy blood trail into the heaviest of the laurels,Its getting dark cant even see our boots so I used my red tape to mark the last spot.Sunday morning we go out and the Blood trail is all washed away.I said that blood trail was very heavy when I shot her and we go to where the tape marked the deer trail Not 20 feet away was the Doe,Huge to my standards of 200lb before dressed out.The right ear is totally missing on a lung shot ? seems the Laurels are so thick she tore her entire right ear off.We finally get the doe out this morning and awaiting dropping her off at the butchers.I have to say the Amterless harvest hunting only the last week of the season puts a big damper on the harvesting and many hunters I know are not happy with these restrictions.many many Anterless are still out in the woods,I think car hit will be on the rise this winter !

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: ANTERLESS HARVEST

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    The last Day of Firearms in 3D at 4:20pm three does walked alongside the Laurels on the Devils Hole In Monroe Co. Took a shot at the largest of the three.Me and my buddy went tracking heavy blood trail into the heaviest of the laurels,Its getting dark cant even see our boots so I used my red tape to mark the last spot.Sunday morning we go out and the Blood trail is all washed away.I said that blood trail was very heavy when I shot her and we go to where the tape marked the deer trail Not 20 feet away was the Doe,Huge to my standards of 200lb before dressed out.The right ear is totally missing on a lung shot ? seems the Laurels are so thick she tore her entire right ear off.We finally get the doe out this morning and awaiting dropping her off at the butchers.I have to say the Amterless harvest hunting only the last week of the season puts a big damper on the harvesting and many hunters I know are not happy with these restrictions.many many Anterless are still out in the woods,I think car hit will be on the rise this winter !
    Congrats at least some meat in the freezer

(Carbon County)

Default Re: ANTERLESS HARVEST

Maybe the doe was hit earlier and lost an ear. I shot one once that had a hole through the ear. Well. at least you got one. I can't complain this year, I saw deer, but could not get a decent shot. I missed one Friday. I was going up a steep area and a couple headed past me. I was kind of wobbling on some loose rock and took a shot on one. Instant blood. Mine! I wasn't steady when I shot and the scope came back and cut my nose. It splashed blood across my glasses. I got off another one but I knew it was a miss. I followed where they kicked up the leaves for quite a ways and there was no sign blood. Oh well, oil up the flintlock!

I'm good with doe being the last week. Game lands usually get hammered. I've never seen an over abundance of deer. The only places deer are getting hit by car constantly is areas you can't hunt.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Un Official Poll out of 20 hunters who scored their Anterless during firearms before these new restrictions were placed 19 of the hunters were successful with anterless,So far I have heard back from 10 of those hunters and only 5 including me were successful with anterless.I also say that during 1st week of firearms in 3D we saw quite a few doe ! While most car hits occur with anterless does they are usually close by to developments where they cannot be hunted,at least not legally .

UPDATE On the doe,recovered next morning at 9am temps were 15 wind chill.First noticed the deers nose was partially eaten and right ear torn off,No other marks on the deer but the bullet passing thru chest cavity thru other side.We got the deer to wacky worm next day,I will say we packed the cavity with ice.We were also told the doe may be green ?Well did not think it was possible with cold temps but PGC got involverd and suspected Rabies ! we are still awaiting testing it was 7 days after harvesting we were told about possible Rabies.My friend notified me and here I am in No Mans land thankfully with no symptoms,still awaiting forensics and deer was taken by PGC .There goes my only chance at venison this season for me and my friend.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    UPDATE On the doe,recovered next morning at 9am temps were 15 wind chill.First noticed the deers nose was partially eaten and right ear torn off,No other marks on the deer but the bullet passing thru chest cavity thru other side.We got the deer to wacky worm next day,I will say we packed the cavity with ice.We were also told the doe may be green ?Well did not think it was possible with cold temps but PGC got involverd and suspected Rabies ! we are still awaiting testing it was 7 days after harvesting we were told about possible Rabies.My friend notified me and here I am in No Mans land thankfully with no symptoms,still awaiting forensics and deer was taken by PGC .There goes my only chance at venison this season for me and my friend.
    If the deer is found to be unfit because of disease, the PGC will issue you another tag. If it is unfit because of a long recovery they will not.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    If the deer is found to be unfit because of disease, the PGC will issue you another tag. If it is unfit because of a long recovery they will not.
    Just glad I did not contract Rabies at this point !

(Chester County)

Deer here have been healthy so far and bigger than in recent years. 3 does taken here so far, more to go. It's almost like they're trying to break into the freezer. The destructive bastards ate a lot of corn and alfalfa crop here. My neighbor walks the fields every morning, and he has counted 40+ deer at a time. It's good that they are tasty. We're getting 70+ pounds of nice meat from does this year. The meat has been good enough to make me happy and fool Democrats.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!