Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tioga County, Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)
    Posts
    4,455
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Polymer cased ammo is already used in the military, they've been shooting polymer 50 cal lately and soon will be adopting a new polymer round and caliber for the infantry.

    Will there be some polymer cartridges out there in our world, sure, but I don't see them totally taking everything over. People are still shooting muzzleloaders, black powder and plenty of cartridges that have their origins in the 1800s.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tioga County, Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)
    Posts
    4,455
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Of course, the older the reloaders get and retire from reloading, it does affect the demand curve for components. The activity in that market has diminished because fewer millennials are replacing them.
    I know more young shooters that reload than the boomer generation. Especially those in the action shooting sports, just about everyone reloads. Reloading will always be a niche hobby but if anything is a stable market.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,647
    Rep Power
    21474862

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    The Democrat/Socialist/tyrants would certainly consider a "keeping ammo legal" 2-step scam by mandating that all commercial ammo be made from non-reloadable components, and then after 10 years or so, banning new ammo.

    The 2nd Amendment aside, it would be impractical to ban ammo, given the vast supply of cases and primers and powder, and the ability to cast new bullets.

    But the weakest link is the primers. We all realized this during the several Great Primer Shortages. Making primers is beyond the ability of most garage reloaders. Modern powder is similarly hard to make. But brass cases are also beyond the ability of casual reloaders to make, so if they wear out, and all new cases are non-reloadable plastic, then control of the ammo supply becomes possible.

    That being said, the govt will always ensure that soldiers and cops have ammo, so the black market for diverted govt ammo will thrive, as will the supply of ammo supplied by the cartels that used to smuggle in weed and foreign peasant migrants.

    Also, it would take Americans a long time to use up the trillion or so rounds of ammo currently in private hands.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Free seminar 7/18/19 in Quakertown: https://www.senatormensch.com/concealed-carry-seminar/

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, Pennsylvania
    (Lackawanna County)
    Posts
    231
    Rep Power
    14450730

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Brass won't go away, but the market for reloadable brass might change if: our military goes from 5.56mm to another caliber, or moves away from brass casings. This will mean the end of "surplus" 5.56mm brass from our military. Other countries use that caliber, so non-US surplus will remain for awhile. If our military no longer uses brass 5.56mm, companies making that brass will no longer have contract over-runs of it to surplus off. Domestic 5.56mm brass prices will gradually rise.

    Us Old Farts who remember "surplus" .303 and 30-06 know how prices will go up, but the supply never really goes away. It will just cost more to play at the range. With the untold number of AR15 rifles everyone has, I can't see an increase in brass prices that will drastically affect the market, at least for the next 10 years or so.

    Those who "bulk reload" will feel the brass price increase (if any) first. Those of us who reload in smaller quantities for accuracy issues will be less affected as we don't go thru the brass as fast. For those who are worried about 5.56mm brass prices, you can find auctions for several thousand surplus casings, and bid on them. If you have 50K of 5.56mm surplus brass, who cares about price increases/availability in the future? You will have enough to last your lifetime (if you reload them all several times each you end up with plenty for your kids to reuse).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oakland Mills, Pennsylvania
    (Juniata County)
    Posts
    3,310
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Polymer cased ammo is already used in the military, they've been shooting polymer 50 cal lately and soon will be adopting a new polymer round and caliber for the infantry.

    Will there be some polymer cartridges out there in our world, sure, but I don't see them totally taking everything over. People are still shooting muzzleloaders, black powder and plenty of cartridges that have their origins in the 1800s.
    I've never seen it. Not saying it isn't out there, but it isn't common.

    Edit. Polymer cased ammo. I've seen Polymer bullets for live fire shoot houses and such.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; December 13th, 2019 at 07:35 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

    "I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tioga County, Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)
    Posts
    4,455
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    Brass won't go away, but the market for reloadable brass might change if: our military goes from 5.56mm to another caliber, or moves away from brass casings. This will mean the end of "surplus" 5.56mm brass from our military. Other countries use that caliber, so non-US surplus will remain for awhile. If our military no longer uses brass 5.56mm, companies making that brass will no longer have contract over-runs of it to surplus off. Domestic 5.56mm brass prices will gradually rise.

    Us Old Farts who remember "surplus" .303 and 30-06 know how prices will go up, but the supply never really goes away. It will just cost more to play at the range. With the untold number of AR15 rifles everyone has, I can't see an increase in brass prices that will drastically affect the market, at least for the next 10 years or so.

    Those who "bulk reload" will feel the brass price increase (if any) first. Those of us who reload in smaller quantities for accuracy issues will be less affected as we don't go thru the brass as fast. For those who are worried about 5.56mm brass prices, you can find auctions for several thousand surplus casings, and bid on them. If you have 50K of 5.56mm surplus brass, who cares about price increases/availability in the future? You will have enough to last your lifetime (if you reload them all several times each you end up with plenty for your kids to reuse).
    The military is leaving 5.56 behind, so yes eventually the large volume of surplus brass will go away over the next decade.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tioga County, Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)
    Posts
    4,455
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I've never seen it. Not saying it isn't out there, but it isn't common.

    Edit. Polymer cased ammo. I've seen Polymer bullets for live fire shoot houses and such.
    The military is rapidly moving towards polymer composite cased ammo and like 50 cal it is already being used in combat right now.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I know more young shooters that reload than the boomer generation. Especially those in the action shooting sports, just about everyone reloads. Reloading will always be a niche hobby but if anything is a stable market.
    YES! Back when I was active in IPSC, I could not have shot as much as I did without my Dillon Square Deal punching out rounds every week to keep me going. Buying that much ammo would have been out of my budget back then, and even more now.
    Last edited by gghbi; December 13th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    1919834

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    I don't think it means the end of "Hand Loading" but might slow down "Re-Loading". I would imagine you could order new plastic empty hulls the same as you can order new brass to load.

    You wont save as much money but you can still have your custom or specialty loads.

    "He said loads"
    ~Beavis & Butthead
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,516
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: The days of handloading may be numbered.

    Plastic cased ammo as well as ammo with totally consumable , , , don't know what you would call it , , , have come and gone since the 70's.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Handloading and AR 15 Accuracy
    By Wood Cutter in forum Ammunition & Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM
  2. Is the gas operated AR's days numbered?
    By RocketFoot in forum Rifles
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
  3. Handloading For 7.7 x 58 mm Jap
    By Lambo in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM
  4. Handloading For RRA LAR 15 NM
    By Lambo in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 7th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops