Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: need recommendation handgun safe

IMO, it depends on who you are trying to prevent from access, how fast you want the gun to be available, and what you are willing to put up with in terms of hassle. You mention bedroom storage so these firearms are for home protection.

I saw no point in having a key-only safe or dial combination lock in this application because it takes too long to open in a pinch. But key access as a secondary method seemed a necessary failsafe.

Any "digital" solution will require a battery, a necessary hassle to remember to change periodically. Fingerprint access with today's tech MAY work MOST of the time as long as your fingers are clean and intact, something I saw no need to risk.

For me the best solution was the Gunvault line which can open very quickly and are more secure than the small number of buttons might indicate. Batteries are changed twice a year which works for me since the safes are not opened frequently; quarterly might be required for others. Key openable for backup and chainable to a secure fixed point if your application allows it.

Another approach I liked was the Hornady Rapid Safe line which uses (eg) an RFID bracelet to unlock. When the bracelet is in range of the vault the lock opens. So this approach requires batteries in the Vault and you must wear the RFID bracelet to bed . . . or whenever else you want the guns available without the key.

I bought the Gunvault safes in the end because I did not like needing the RFID unit on me at all times, even during a shower So I use 3 Gunvaults, two in the bedroom on each side of the bed, and one in the living area.

JMO . . . everyone has different criteria.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: need recommendation handgun safe

Thanks for all the advice. Went with a Fort Knox. Found a dealer fairly close by and bought direct.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12