Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Beretta M9A3, any owners here?

This is a pistol I planned on getting when they were first announced but have not yet acquired. Somewhere during the last few years my focus switched to older revolvers but after holding one in a local shop I may start looking into them again. The dilemma I’m having is whether or not I would basically be paying $900 for a paint job and a few 17 round mags. What I mean by that makes more sense after I disclose the fact that I currently already have two Beretta 92’s and a 96. I know the grip angle is changed but the ones I own fit me very well already. I’m hoping that there are a few members here who own both an older 92 and the M9A3 and can tell me if there’s enough of a difference to justify the purchase.
    I am a member over at the Beretta forum but the typical answer there is usually just buy both. Im looking for information from a slightly less biased group.
    Last edited by bripro; December 8th, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Beretta M9A3, any owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    This is a pistol I planned on getting when they were first announced but have not yet acquired. Someone the last few years my focus switched to older revolvers but after holding one in a local shop I may start looking into them again. The dilemma I’m having is whether or not I would basically be paying $900 for a paint job and a few 17 round mags. What I mean by that makes more sense after I disclose the fact that I currently already have two Beretta 92’s and a 96. I know the grip angle is changed but the ones I own fit me very well already. I’m hoping that there are a few members here who own both an older 92 and the M9A3 and can tell me if there’s enough of a difference to justify the purchase.
    I am a member over at the Beretta forum at the typical answer there is usually just buy both. Im looking for information from a slightly less biased group.
    I don't own the m9a3, but I was interested just like you. I never bought one either and after handling the 92x centurion recently, I think that's the way I'm going to go. It's got the same grip angle as the m9a3 and the new dovetailed sights and is @ $300 cheaper. It's not supressor friendly like the m9a3 though, so if that's a deal breaker for you then it might be worth it for you. I'm probably going to use it as a carry gun, so that wasn't important for me. I've owned a 92fs before and currently have an s model.

(Montgomery County)

I have an M9A3 in Grey and it is fantastic. There are a bunch of changes over the M9A1 of the 92FS. I bought mine for around 770 USD and it was worth every penny. It shoots very, very well and the grip is different only if you want it to be. The M9A3 comes with extra grips that mimic the classic grip shape, if that is your thing.

I am going out on a limb here by guessing that you do not need it. The real question is, do you want it???
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Indiana County)

To me the A3 is just a Vertec with different grips and the newer safety levers. If I ever saw one cheap enough I would but to me, it's not worth it.

(McKean County)

There are several differences between a standard 92FS and the M9A3.
    The M9A3 has a Vertec style grip (straight), checkered front & back straps, threaded barrel, removable front & rear sights, extended magazine release, and a lower accessory rail. There may be more, this is what I can think of off the top of my head. I personally prefer the older SA/DA Brigadier’s with a “D” hammer spring.

(Beaver County)

I have a 92FS, 92A1, and M9A1, considered buying the M9A3 when I heard they were releasing them in black but never did it. I don't need a threaded barrel, I prefer the standard grip over the vertec flat backstrap (even though I know it comes with hogue grips with a hump), I have no issue with the front sight not being replaceable on the M9A1 so I couldn't justify the extra cost. The improvements for the M9A1 over the 92FS are front and rear frame checkering (makes it shoot MUCH flatter than the 92FS/92A1 with useless vertical lines), beefed up trigger guard for "encouraging compliance", and a rail for mounting weapon lights. I got my M9A1 for $519 from gunprime this summer, had it shipped to my ffl. It comes with a pair of 15 round magazines though and the M9A3 comes with three 17 round magazines if that matters to you. I have 18 magazines for the 92 series so I didn't care at all. If you like night sights and want a threaded barrel, those two things along make it worth the extra money to get the M9A3 but neither of those are important to me. If you do get the M9A3, I would recommend the G model with decock only function. I do the G conversion on all of my 92 pistols because I don't like manual safeties and it makes it less of a pain in the dick to practice shooting in double action.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I think I’m going to let this one slide. It is currently still available at Morr Outdoors if anyone’s interested. I think they have it listed at $779. My current Berettas fit my hand great and I have no immediate plans for a silencer so the threaded barrel would be just for looks. The fact that I’ve been thinking Beretta has gotten me to load up a bunch of mags and get this stainless version ready for the next range trip.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lackawanna County)

The Langdon elite looks really nice and is supposed to be a nice rig.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Thanks for the replies and feedback. I think I’m going to let this one slide. It is currently still available at Morr Outdoors if anyone’s interested. I think they have it listed at $779. My current Berettas fit my hand great and I have no immediate plans for a silencer so the threaded barrel would be just for looks. The fact that I’ve been thinking Beretta has gotten me to load up a bunch of mags and get this stainless version ready for the next range trip.

Very nice! Those all inox guns are beautiful. Did you convert it to all inox or buy it that way?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Very nice! Those all inox guns are beautiful. Did you convert it to all inox or buy it that way?
    It had the all stainless controls when I bought it. The only thing I changed was the original grip was a Hogue rubber panel with Beretta logo. I took a pair of the factory plastic grips and sprayed them gray.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"