Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Tri-County York Gun Show - Dec 28th & 29th, 2019

Good comments from both of you, and for the record, I didn't make any lowball offers. (I didn't make any offers.) And I don't begrudge your right to make a living. Like I said in my original post, it's a tough job. The internet is killing you guys, I know. But that's the free market society we live in.
    For me, though, the show was a disappointment.
    In any case, best of luck to all the vendors at future shows.
    Over and out!

(Mifflin County)

its that way across anything nowadays , too many feel like you owe them something . its not just how they treat dealers they do it to anyone selling anything . you list an item at a good price and they give you the sob story and how it would help them so much , or how they need the price lower as they are already borrowing the money to buy it . even had a lady give me her families health list and send me pics of her kid for my boys car that was for sale . i asked her if the kid was being offered for trade , she snapped a no , i said then keep your kids and their identities and innocence out of it . its truly a shame how some have zero pride in the sales or buying . as for the shows , i think the whole food stands and goat socks at 55 a pair is what ticks most off . i paid 16 for two of us to go there , drove 2 hours each way , and left with a $5 gun part . would have bought a gun or two but we a strict desire for one model that didnt show up . my luck . do enjoy the chat there .

(York County)

I agree with gunsrfun1 and benny Swartz. I don't like to see bath fitter and cell phone accessories at gun shows. but what is happening is that there are too many promoters around pitching shows every single weekend within in a 40 mile radius. The problem here is 2 fold, in that a customer picks up a rifle and looks at it for 10 to 15 minutes all the while knowing he doesn't have enough cash to buy it. then he places it back down and proceeds to ask a few questions about it....once again knowing the the doesn't have enough money for it. then he says "OK thanks, I will see you next weekend" and walks away. with so many shows and fewer vendors attending, the promoters have to fill the show hall....so they do so with fillers like cell phone crap, cheap china made gun parts, raffle ticket sales, and more. why are there fewer vendors? because the amount of shows have increased so vendors can now pick and choose which shows are best for them. the other reason there are fewer vendors is because it costs a lot of cash to bring inventory to the show and set up (most of the time its $1000 or just under), and then we have to compete with the guys who come to your table and look at a price tag and then punch the info in to their phone and find buds gun shop, gun broker, or some other huge retailer offering the item for $20 less. then they tell you they can get it cheaper on the internet so they want you to price match. guys get tired of it, and profit margins are razor thin at this point in the market....which the consumer has caused. they get tired of the jerks who want a $500 rifle for $350, and the guys who are trying to sell guns at full retail price while walking around the show.....but they just can't bring themselves to pay retail price for anything on a table. the fault here lies with both sides of the table, but not every single person. the dealers that jack stuff up to outrageous prices...they don't sell much or anything at all and get pissy about it. the guys on the other side of the table nit pick and price check everything to death (I shit you not.....had a guy say he could get an item on the internet $4 cheaper), but they never take into account the shipping fees, transfer fees, and time spent waiting and ordering it instead of just buying it when its right in front of them. Maybe im not a cheap ass, because I couldn't live my life that way. I don't barter with Walmart, the mechanic, or the restaurant my family just ate a meal at because that is the price....so I pay it. is there harm in asking for a discount? not at all. but the guys who continue to beat the hell out of you and ask 5 times for a better price...those dudes ruin shows for everyone.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    I agree with gunsrfun1 and benny Swartz. I don't like to see bath fitter and cell phone accessories at gun shows. but what is happening is that there are too many promoters around pitching shows every single weekend within in a 40 mile radius. The problem here is 2 fold, in that a customer picks up a rifle and looks at it for 10 to 15 minutes all the while knowing he doesn't have enough cash to buy it. then he places it back down and proceeds to ask a few questions about it....once again knowing the the doesn't have enough money for it. then he says "OK thanks, I will see you next weekend" and walks away. with so many shows and fewer vendors attending, the promoters have to fill the show hall....so they do so with fillers like cell phone crap, cheap china made gun parts, raffle ticket sales, and more. why are there fewer vendors? because the amount of shows have increased so vendors can now pick and choose which shows are best for them. the other reason there are fewer vendors is because it costs a lot of cash to bring inventory to the show and set up (most of the time its $1000 or just under), and then we have to compete with the guys who come to your table and look at a price tag and then punch the info in to their phone and find buds gun shop, gun broker, or some other huge retailer offering the item for $20 less. then they tell you they can get it cheaper on the internet so they want you to price match. guys get tired of it, and profit margins are razor thin at this point in the market....which the consumer has caused. they get tired of the jerks who want a $500 rifle for $350, and the guys who are trying to sell guns at full retail price while walking around the show.....but they just can't bring themselves to pay retail price for anything on a table. the fault here lies with both sides of the table, but not every single person. the dealers that jack stuff up to outrageous prices...they don't sell much or anything at all and get pissy about it. the guys on the other side of the table nit pick and price check everything to death (I shit you not.....had a guy say he could get an item on the internet $4 cheaper), but they never take into account the shipping fees, transfer fees, and time spent waiting and ordering it instead of just buying it when its right in front of them. Maybe im not a cheap ass, because I couldn't live my life that way. I don't barter with Walmart, the mechanic, or the restaurant my family just ate a meal at because that is the price....so I pay it. is there harm in asking for a discount? not at all. but the guys who continue to beat the hell out of you and ask 5 times for a better price...those dudes ruin shows for everyone.
    Agree 110pct

(Cumberland County)

I have several P38s, Walther PPs, CZ-27s, Polish Radoms, Japanese Nambus, Hi powers, and many more. all are bring backs with holsters and spare magazines.
    I've been looking for a decently priced ViS 35 for a while (Polish Radom)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MasonH1997 View Post
    I've been looking for a decently priced ViS 35 for a while (Polish Radom)
    I have 4 or5 of them right now to pick from

(Luzerne County)

the show was light as many dealers had completely sold out of inventory last weekend at Oaks and since the holiday fell in the middle of the week, nothing they ordered had been delivered by show time. I ordered pistols on Monday after Oaks and they arrived on Friday just hours before I left to set up. I was busy all weekend and moved lots of guns, mags, and bayonets...but not all dealers had the same luck. The show was decent overall and lots of great to people to talk to. the business side of things is tough right now. markups are 6% on new rifles, and you always have some meatball who wants to buy a $500 gun for $350.....I guess lots of people think we make tons of money doing this...but in reality those who are competitive (not outrageously priced) are literally just scraping by and paying bills. the high priced guns don't sell, and the guys like me who compete with internet and local pricing are only making $25 per gun....you have to sell a boat load of guns to pay for tables, gas, tolls, hotel rooms, meals, and more. the thing that makes me hot is when someone comes to the table and asks for a 20% to 30% discount on my price when im already well below every other dealer at the show. if you know its a good deal...buy it. don't be a dick and ask or expect to get even more off of that price.
    "...Meatballs..." I'm well versed from both sides of the table, buying & selling non current production items.

If I see something I like, but am not enthused about the price, I make an offer based on what I care to pay.
    I don't fault the offering or condemn the asking price ... just politely make my offer.
    More times than not, I end up making a purchase.

Dealers who get nasty about any offer or show attitude ... I sarcastically respond with "sorry to bother you - have a nice day" & I move along.

When behind the table, receiving offers is the norm.
    Some offers are workable, some are not.
    Like it or not, it's a part of life that is rather common in many parts of the world ... regatear, I believe, is the Spanish term.

I rarely, if ever, respond to any offer with a blunt "NO" ... I usually politely remind that I have to BUY the inventory, I can't find it for free. ;-)

When someone makes an offer, it shows they have interest & opens a conversation .. up to me as a salesman to follow thru & turn the conversation into a sale.

And I NEVER get mad at anyone who makes me any offer ... why burn any bridge - it doesn't help the bottom line.
    Also, want to keep relationship up-beat, so if they decide later to pay more, they won't hesitate to return.
    Some of the biggest low-ballers I have dealt with, have become some of my best customers & the easiest to deal with anymore.

My 2 cents, for whatever it is worth.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mokoitis View Post
    "

If I see something I like, but am not enthused about the price, I make an offer based on what I care to pay.
    I don't fault the offering or condemn the asking price ... just politely make my offer.
    More times than not, I end up making a purchase.

Dealers who get nasty about any offer or show attitude ... I sarcastically respond with "sorry to bother you - have a nice day" & I move along.

When behind the table, receiving offers is the norm.
    Some offers are workable, some are not.
    Like it or not, it's a part of life that is rather common in many parts of the world ... regatear, I believe, is the Spanish term.

I rarely, if ever, respond to any offer with a blunt "NO" ... I usually politely remind that I have to BUY the inventory, I can't find it for free. ;-)

When someone makes an offer, it shows they have interest & opens a conversation .. up to me as a salesman to follow thru & turn the conversation into a sale.

And I NEVER get mad at anyone who makes me any offer ... why burn any bridge - it doesn't help the bottom line.
    Also, want to keep relationship up-beat, so if they decide later to pay more, they won't hesitate to return.
    I totally agree. Bargaining is part of any gun show, and dealers should not try to sell at gun shows unless they are prepared to hear low offers. If you think an offer is too low, counter with what you think is a reasonable number. If you respond with an attitude and I am the prospective buyer, you will not see a dime from me.

(Lebanon County)

I don't mind the food venders, Some are very good. Now if anyone knows the Russian pickle and kielbasa dealer let me know, His sweet horseradish pickels were the best I've ever had.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1255 View Post
    I totally agree. Bargaining is part of any gun show, and dealers should not try to sell at gun shows unless they are prepared to hear low offers. If you think an offer is too low, counter with what you think is a reasonable number. If you respond with an attitude and I am the prospective buyer, you will not see a dime from me.
    its one thing to make a reasonable offer. its another thing to make a low ball offer on an item the tis already the lowest price at the show and beats internet pricing as well. I wonder how you would feel if a dealer offered you $200 for your $1000 gun? maybe you wouldn't mind, maybe you would get pissy about it. I was raised to have manners and as such, would not make some of the offers I have received from meatballs, nor would I say the things they mutter as they walk away. at the end of the day though....I stick by my prices as stuff always sells for the ticket price...so it must be good. it just may not be good enough for some cheap skates out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast