Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DEER HUNTING WITH SAIGA 12 IN PA

I know we have some resident Gun lawyers on the forum. Can a saiga 12, with pistol grip and 2 round mag be used for white tail hunting in PA ? Can't seem to get a definitive answer on this locally.

(Berks County)

Default Re: DEER HUNTING WITH SAIGA 12 IN PA

Can't shoot 00 buck and I am uncertain how accurate a Saiga is with slugs.

In short though I am fairly certain you cannot use any semi for deer and no small game either for amagazine fed semi ...only a tubular magazine that can be plugged to three shells for small game .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Generally, no semi automatics, but there are special regulations areas where they are allowed. Go here and click on the 'Special Regulations Areas' link.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=968783&mode=2

Doesn't say anything about magazine fed. Generally there's no round limit for deer, so I don't see why the Saiga would be viewed any differently than a bolt action rifle with a removable magazine.
    Last edited by esh21167; July 14th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

"...only a tubular magazine that can be plugged to three shells for small game" this is incorrect.

Arms & Ammunition: 1) Manually operated and semi-automatic 10-gauge or less shotguns with a capacity of no more than 3 shells in the
    chamber and magazine combined; this is for small game.

Big game there is no limit on how many slugs you may have in a shotgun, but simi auto shotguns are not allowed for deer in MOST of the state. check where you are going to be hunting for specific regulations.

From special regs areas

DEER & BEAR SEASON ARMS & AMMUNITION: Allegheny County — Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows,
    crossbows, manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted. Philadelphia County — Only
    bows and arrows, including crossbows. Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks — Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger
    using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Remaining Counties — Muzzleloading long guns, .44 caliber or larger, manual or semiautomatic
    shotguns .410 or larger using slugs, 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Crossbows must have
    a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds
    Last edited by USMC3531; July 14th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Gents I appreciate the input. I can tell you at 50 yards my Saiga 12 is pretty dog gone accurate with slugs. I'm in Washington county so I'm going to see if the sheriff's office can give me the bottom line answer. The way I've read and interpreted PA game laws, it seems that a semi auto shotgun with a 3 round capacity (1 in the chamber, 2 in the mag) should be good to go.
    However, can't seem to get a definitive answer and do not want to run afoul of the laws of the Commonwealth.

Where we hunt is much better suited for a slug gun than a high powered rifle.

Again, thanks Fellas.

Unless you are hunting in a special regulations area you CANNOT use a semiauto shotgun with slugs, and mag limit only applies when using shot (ie. smallgame, migratory game birds, turkey, etc)

The sherrif has nothing to do with it, talk to your local game commission officer or write a letter

(Berks County)

This is copied directly from the "Special Regulations Areas" section of the 2013-14 Hunting & Trapping Digest. USMC3531 stated earlier. I just added the first two paragraphs from the Digest.

Special Regulations Areas include: In western Pennsylvania, all of Allegheny County. In southeastern Pennsylvania,all of Bucks,Chester,Delaware,Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and also includes Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks. The following regulations apply to Special Regulations Areas. For statewide seasons and bag limits see the Small Game, Turkey, Bear and Deer sections of this Digest.

DEER: All Special Regulations Area counties are now contained within the Wildlife Management Unit system. Seasons and antler
    restriction requirements are mostly based on these units and general deer seasons. However, certain laws and regulations in regards to
    arms and ammunition still apply to specifi c counties in Special Regulations Areas. Also, the regulation: when multiple harvests of deer
    per day are authorized, only one deer at a time may be taken; before attempting to take an additional deer, the first deer shall be lawfully
    tagged, does not apply when hunting in Special Regulations Areas. Baiting for deer is no longer permitted on private lands in the
    southeast special regulations areas.

DEER & BEAR SEASON ARMS & AMMUNITION: Allegheny County — Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows,
    crossbows, manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted. Philadelphia County — Only
    bows and arrows, including crossbows. Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks — Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger
    using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Remaining Counties — Muzzleloading long guns, .44 caliber or larger, manual or semiautomatic
    shotguns .410 or larger using slugs, 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Crossbows must have
    a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds
    Last edited by esh21167; July 14th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

my township is shotgun only, not in Allegheny county though, so I need to check the special reg areas. Hunting regs and laws are clear as mud in PA. There needs to be a way to simplify and streamline.

(Allegheny County)

Buy the 2 round magazine i did for hunting if its a semi and can only hold 3 your legal in special regulation areas in 2b

Quote Originally Posted by bman1187 View Post
    Buy the 2 round magazine i did for hunting if its a semi and can only hold 3 your legal in special regulation areas in 2b
    Thank you. I picked up 2 a few months back, just want to make sure I can use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast