Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Saturday hunt opening day?

Traditionally there is no Sunday hunting in PA as well as no hunting with Semi auto rifles either.

The PCG makes regulations not traditions, we as humans make our own traditions and unfortunately for the good of the tradition of PA hunting they believe more access and availability to it for the younger generations might help to save it which ultimately should be the number 1 concern to all outdoor sportsmen who actually care about the resource.

As stated above only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    My apologies. I wasn't aware the only person entitled to an opinion is you. I will endeavor to toe the line in the future Komrade.
    I'm sure lots of people were pissed off. I know others that were happy they were off work and could go. I didn't really care that much either way. But if I was you I would quit hunting. Please! You need to boycott, especially in 3D. Tell your friends.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Don't know where this thread is heading but I'll throw in my mid-week update from over in 5C............

Went out this morning to French Creek State Park and was the only hunter around near my spot! Very happy about that considering Saturday was mobbed. Didn't see anything except a fox, but it wasn't too cold and it was a beautiful sunrise so I enjoyed myself.

Still trying to find the problem here. You get an extra day of hunting and if you get one on saturday you can save a sick or vacation day. The fudds on this thread need to understand change happens and they can still keep their traditions of Monday opening day. Last i checked it didnt say if you dont hunt saturday you cant hunt the rest of the week. Cant wait for when semis are legal the all caps typing will be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by JimDuber78 View Post
    Still trying to find the problem here. You get an extra day of hunting and if you get one on saturday you can save a sick or vacation day. The fudds on this thread need to understand change happens and they can still keep their traditions of Monday opening day. Last i checked it didnt say if you dont hunt saturday you cant hunt the rest of the week. Cant wait for when semis are legal the all caps typing will be insane.
    This x 1000. People threw a fit when they allowed online muzzle loaders, then another hussy fit over crossbows, then again over semi auto for small game. You dont have to change your traditions just because they are allowing you to have extra time to hunt or what to hunt with.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Its called TRADITION, some just dont get it. After 25 years of TRADITION, a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix.
    If the tables were turned, how would you feel? See how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Agreed....and for me, it's 44 years of TRADITION. If others like the new system, I'm happy for them. It doesn't mean I personally have to like it. Yes, I know that makes me the dreaded..............FUDD. For those who argue, I could just forego hunting Saturday, thats true, but if you read my initial post, I said I traditionally spend the Saturday before the Monday opener hunting the last day of small game and scouting. Small Game now closes on Friday and I'm certainly not going to be scouting on opening day and disturbing other hunters.
    Cup half full vs. cup half empty.

Personally, I would use what you are considering to be a negative to be a positive. Now, in order to head up to camp to small game hunt and scout, you have the ability and the reason to spend another whole weekend at camp, prior to antlered season, to do just that. And hopefully, because tradition has been broken, you can drive up early Saturday morning, hunt the afternoon. Repeat it again, hopefully, on SUNDAY morning, then drive home later in the day. That gets you another weekend at camp with friends/relatives, parts of two days to hunt/scout, a week or so for the deer to relax before the rifle season opener, without having to rush and you won't have to take a day of leave to do so.

Sounds like a pretty positive way to start a new tradition to me.

Listen, I get where you guys are coming from. Not having any family that hunts and few friends, I'm envious of every part of you having deer camp traditions. I've always hunted alone and I gotta admit, sometimes I'm just not inspired to sit my ass in the cold, wet woods for days by myself when I could be binge watching movies with my kids. But if you really think about it, you've had breaks in your traditions all along. Someone dies, someone has to stay home due to a sore back/sick kids/sick wife, death in family, can't get off work, etc. and any of a number of reasons. I'll bet a nickel that you haven't gone more than three years with the exact same roster for camp (which you are required by law to keep and post, IIRC, so you should have access to it.

The point being that "traditions" are altered to some degree all the time. It's just much easier to bitch at PGC for changing opening day than it is to bitch at grampa because his lumbago is acting up. You make the best with what you have and enjoy the commaraderie while you're there.

In two or three seasons, it'll be just like when they put the antler restrictions in place, you won't even remember why you were mad. New traditions will have replaced the old.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lehigh County)

The problem is you guys are in the woods and the deer are in town. Labeled as New Cumberland 0630, but comments suggest it was on the Depot property and thus not open to hunting.

Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Cup half full vs. cup half empty.

Personally, I would use what you are considering to be a negative to be a positive. Now, in order to head up to camp to small game hunt and scout, you have the ability and the reason to spend another whole weekend at camp, prior to antlered season, to do just that. And hopefully, because tradition has been broken, you can drive up early Saturday morning, hunt the afternoon. Repeat it again, hopefully, on SUNDAY morning, then drive home later in the day. That gets you another weekend at camp with friends/relatives, parts of two days to hunt/scout, a week or so for the deer to relax before the rifle season opener, without having to rush and you won't have to take a day of leave to do so.

Sounds like a pretty positive way to start a new tradition to me.

Listen, I get where you guys are coming from. Not having any family that hunts and few friends, I'm envious of every part of you having deer camp traditions. I've always hunted alone and I gotta admit, sometimes I'm just not inspired to sit my ass in the cold, wet woods for days by myself when I could be binge watching movies with my kids. But if you really think about it, you've had breaks in your traditions all along. Someone dies, someone has to stay home due to a sore back/sick kids/sick wife, death in family, can't get off work, etc. and any of a number of reasons. I'll bet a nickel that you haven't gone more than three years with the exact same roster for camp (which you are required by law to keep and post, IIRC, so you should have access to it.

The point being that "traditions" are altered to some degree all the time. It's just much easier to bitch at PGC for changing opening day than it is to bitch at grampa because his lumbago is acting up. You make the best with what you have and enjoy the commaraderie while you're there.

In two or three seasons, it'll be just like when they put the antler restrictions in place, you won't even remember why you were mad. New traditions will have replaced the old.

The problem with us its not just about hunting, its about a bunch of guys getting together and having a great time,
    and hunting too. We usually get there friday morning. Unpack, get settled and get the atvs out. Go to the upper field
    and let loose with the guns and bombs. Do that all day, drink, and take the atvs to the top of the mountain a few miles away
    to see some friends. Grab the atvs again and head to the bar and kick back with the locals.
    Saturday rolls around and we do the same thing all day into the night. Fireworks, guns, you name it, the whole mountain sounds like
    a big party. Sunday is the day of rest and recovery. Hunt Monday-wednaday and go home.

Now that the season has changed, cancel everything above. No making noise, no atvs, riding to the bar, NOTHING friday til wednesday.
    And its not just me and our group either.

(Lehigh County)

The problem with us its not just about hunting, its about a bunch of guys getting together and having a great time,
    and hunting too. We usually get there friday morning. Unpack, get settled and get the atvs out. Go to the upper field
    and let loose with the guns and bombs. Do that all day, drink, and take the atvs to the top of the mountain a few miles away
    to see some friends. Grab the atvs again and head to the bar and kick back with the locals.
    Saturday rolls around and we do the same thing all day into the night. Fireworks, guns, you name it, the whole mountain sounds like
    a big party. Sunday is the day of rest and recovery. Hunt Monday-wednaday and go home.

Now that the season has changed, cancel everything above. No making noise, no atvs, riding to the bar, NOTHING friday til wednesday.
    SEE: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...56#post4096756
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Mifflin County)

Just start the routine a few days early .... Problem solved

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast