Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Saturday hunt opening day?

I hunt in southern Lancaster County. Opening day on Saturday seemed like a normal Monday opening day. Most of the guys were out. Heard a fair amount of shots during the day. No one in our group got any antlers. We saw a lot of doe in the area.

Monday I went out until around noon. Almost no shots at all. I think we had 10 people out on the property we use (over 200 acres,) on Saturday, but only 4 of us were out on Monday. Seems like having a Saturday opening day just moved the Monday traffic to Saturday. Monday everyone went back to work.

Anyone see the same thing?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Saturday hunt opening day?

I hunted a SGL in 3D, Luzerne County on Saturday. I only hunted until about 10am because my sciatica is kicking my butt. Can't sit or walk for very long. That said, I saw zero deer.....as did a few other hunters I bumped into and I heard ZERO shots anywhere remotely close to me! The few shots I did here were way, way off in the distance.

I didn't go out Monday because of the snow. Did not hunt today because my wife had a doctors appointment. My wife leaves for the West Coast tomorrow to visit with her family, so I hope to get out late morning, early afternoon. I need to pick a spot within a few hundred yards from where I can park my truck so I don't have to walk too far.

I think its the dumbest thing the commission has done. Why not leave well enough alone?

I hunted 3D SGL near my house. I seen 3 doe and zero hunters. I heard some shooting. Twice there were 6-8 shots all rapid fire which was probably the same jackass missing deer. Yesterday the snow was too bad to go to work, so I went hunting. It was the first time I couldn't find my tree stand in the day light without using my GPS. Everything was completely covered in snow and looked exactly the same. I walked right past it. Seen a doe in the afternoon and cut a couple sets of tracks coming out. I was happy I seen a few deer. Next year they will have it open Sunday so it will make more sense. I think they were trying to get it done this year but ran out of time. They approved 3 or 4 Sunday's next season.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

hardly anyone out.
    2 doe and a 4 point taken from kings gap
    Firearms have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

It sounded like a typical opener in 1B. I saw 4 doe and two bucks, one of which was legal, before 9:00 Took a long lunch break then headed to a public land spot and saw a few other hunters and heard a few close by shots. Yesterday was much of the same. Walked for a friend and put a doe and fawn past him on the first drive, an unknown buck on the second. Freezing rain that turned to snow. Heard a few shots. Today I was lazy and didn't get out till 2:00. I saw 5 doe and no bucks. Heard one shot at 4:55. Headed to camp tomorrow for the rest of the week with DMAP tags in hand. I seriously wouldn't care if the season opened on a Thursday, or Tuesday, or Sunday. It's just another day to hunt.

(Lancaster County)

was in the Buchanan SF Saturday. hardly any shooting and I saw zero deer.

went back out Monday, still zero deer and little shooting

Saturday opener screws up my routine. Normally it is: Thanksgiving with family. Friday - put lights up and buy tree. Head to camp or wherever Friday afternoon. Scout Saturday while small game hunting. Sunday - relax. Monday - hunt

Now its rush, rush rush to get to camp early on Friday in order to have a chance to look around before the Saturday opener.

Now if they'd pass sunday hunting and semi auto for big game I might buy a license again

(Chester County)

The Saturday opener was quieter here than the typical Monday openers. All of the land around me is hunted by landowners and their guests and the chosen few permitted to hunt the Cheslen Preserve, and is not open to public hunting. I don't like this, but it has become a necessity due to monumental abuses and total moronity. Some hunters are our worst enemy.

Deer are a problem here, so anything that enables more hunters to get out more is better for us. A lot of people want to get that buck, but there is no sense of urgency otherwise as we can hunt does with slug guns here from right after Christmas until late January. Most of the guys around here donate the bucks and put the does in the freezer.

Quite a few deer were harvested locally during bow season, including right here. The Trump does are a lot bigger and healthier than the Obama ones :-)
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Bucks County)

It was a pain to rush Thanksgiving but it paid off at 10:50. One walked up behind me and didn't have the sense to run when I stood and turned. He just stood there in a clump of saplings while I pulled up the scope and found the 3rd tine on one side. It was a fatal error.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast