Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Saturday hunt opening day?

I think the Game Commission made a Huge mistake.

1. I had to cut my Thanksgiving Family time short to load up my son's truck so we could leave at 4AM Friday morning to go to Philipsburg. They screwed up my Thanksgiving.

2. Got to camp and worked hard to get everything open for what I thought would be 19 hunters. Also had to do some food shopping.

3. My son and I along with others from camp went out late Friday to find a place to hunt on Sandy Ridge Trail in D4.

4. Only 2 Camp owners out of 5 could show up to hunt. 2 retired owners showed up to hunt. 4 paying guest showed up to hunt. 11 paying guest did not show up to hunt nor did they buy hunting lic. They worked in Retail or jobs that supported retail and the could not get off on Black Friday or Saturday. They did not want to come up and spend a few hundred dollars to hunt second and third day of buck. The state lost 11 adult hunting lic. sales. Our Camp lost at least $1,500.

5. On Saturday there were about half of the normal hunters in the woods then we would usually see on an Monday Opening Day of Buck. Very few shots were heard and we only saw one very small buck taken out of Sandy Ridge Trail. Not enough Hunters in the woods to move deer around.

6. Monday there were even less hunters in the woods. with less the 1/2 dozen shots heard.

7. Tuesday one of our hunters saw one other hunter. All other hunters from our camp didn't a single hunter. No shots were heard.

Thank You Pa Game Commission for F@#king Up my Thanksgiving and our 2019 Hunting season. Also we are short now on camp funds and most likely the 5 owners and 3 retired owners will have to pony up several hundred dollars each to keep our camp running. What a bunch of A-Holes they are!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Yes they did. Did they not only screw the hunters, they screwed the local business's. Ive been
    going up state for YEARS for opening day, even when I stopped hunting back in 12 I'd still go.
    Didn't go this year and wont until they change it back to NORMAL!

(Carbon County)

Wait, what? Noone forced you to hunt on saturday. Start hunting on Monday, what's the difference?
    I enjoyed it, walked a few miles in the ice covered forests of 3D, got a full day in (dawn to dusk) and didn't have to use a vacation day to do it. Left empty handed, but still got plenty of time to fill tags.
    Great job game commission, finally a move that benefits the working man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbone333 View Post
    Wait, what? Noone forced you to hunt on saturday. Start hunting on Monday, what's the difference?
    I enjoyed it, walked a few miles in the ice covered forests of 3D, got a full day in (dawn to dusk) and didn't have to use a vacation day to do it. Left empty handed, but still got plenty of time to fill tags.
    Whats the difference? Its not opening day and its a huge difference. We work also.

(Tioga County)

In my opinion from what I saw the state killed it. I think Sunday hunting will kill it off further. It hogs up the holiday and people's plans.

The whole point of deer season is to have another excuse for people to take off from work and school, walk 50 feet off the road and sit and stare out into the woods and then go out for dinner or back to "camp" and sit around drinking beer and farting.

Saturday was a very nice day in the morning and I heard some booms nearby. I think yesterday late afternoon I heard one boom. Much less than usual. Talking to businesses in town, the hunting traffic was way less than usual. Certainly we did have the winter storm that dropped some heavy wet snow so you could say that might have impacted things.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post

1. I had to cut my Thanksgiving Family time short to load up my son's truck so we could leave at 4AM Friday morning to go to Philipsburg. They screwed up my Thanksgiving.

2. Got to camp and worked hard to get everything open for what I thought would be 19 hunters. Also had to do some food shopping.

3. My son and I along with others from camp went out late Friday to find a place to hunt on Sandy Ridge Trail in D4.

4. Only 2 Camp owners out of 5 could show up to hunt. 2 retired owners showed up to hunt. 4 paying guest showed up to hunt. 11 paying guest did not show up to hunt nor did they buy hunting lic. They worked in Retail or jobs that supported retail and the could not get off on Black Friday or Saturday. They did not want to come up and spend a few hundred dollars to hunt second and third day of buck. The state lost 11 adult hunting lic. sales. Our Camp lost at least $1,500.

5. On Saturday there were about half of the normal hunters in the woods then we would usually see on an Monday Opening Day of Buck. Very few shots were heard and we only saw one very small buck taken out of Sandy Ridge Trail. Not enough Hunters in the woods to move deer around.

6. Monday there were even less hunters in the woods. with less the 1/2 dozen shots heard.

7. Tuesday one of our hunters saw one other hunter. All other hunters from our camp didn't a single hunter. No shots were heard.

Thank You Pa Game Commission for F@#king Up my Thanksgiving and our 2019 Hunting season. Also we are short now on camp funds and most likely the 5 owners and 3 retired owners will have to pony up several hundred dollars each to keep our camp running. What a bunch of A-Holes they are!!!!
    Wait!!!!........

No......no......and, just NO!

PGC didn't fuck anything up. Someone moved your cheese, that's all. YOU made adult decisions to alter your plans. No one forced you to do a darn thing.

Maybe I should whine that God fucked up my plans by making bad weather on Sunday. I was originally going to hunt the Saturday opener because I not only have a good spot, but in it, I can shoot buck, bear, AND doe the first week, because it is DMAP. But, nooooooooooo! God had to go all "warm rain cell -overriding cold air" crazy, didn't he. As such, we had to move our immediate family's Thanksgiving to Saturday in anticipation of Sunday's trip to take my kid back to college being MUCH longer because of bad roads and traffic. And let me tell you.....BOY, did it ever!

So, I had to spend the buck opener clearing sticks.from.the yard that would clog the snowblower, then cook a Thanksgiving meal and celebrate my thankfulness with my family. Pppphhhhhnpppptttttt!!!!!!

God must be an anti-hunter!!!!!!!

Oh, wait.....no. That's wrong. I'm an adult. I make the decisions of an adult, for both myself and my family.

Holiday meals (and even Sunday dinner) are sacrosanct in our family. I wouldn't miss it for all the deer in PA. It was MY decision to move the meal to Saturday. I still could have let my16 year old drive her older sister to school, even though she had never driven on bad roads before. You have to learn sometime, right!!!??? But, no. My job as father and husband is to keep my wife and daughters safe. (Call me misogynist. IDGAF.). If anybody was driving on Sunday, it was me and me alone. It was MY decision. Not PGC's. Not God's. Not the weatherman's. Mine.

So, I went out on Monday instead and, with all the ice/snow covered trees, it was GORGEOUS!! Real Fortress of Solitude kinda stuff. That is, until God tried to drop a tree on my head around 1000. I beat feet outta the woods after that.

God MADE me do that!

I told you he's an anti-hunter.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

We headed to camp on friday morning.
    My buddy's kiddo came up after work. It's a bit over 2 hours drive.

The Sat start got my buddy's kid an extra day to hunt since normally he would only have had Monday.
    I heard considerably less shooting ( maybe 6 or 7 shots) than normal.
    We had no snow but did have to deal with a light freezing rain starting about daybreak..

I felt bad for the guys as I was inside making a shredded chipped beef dinner for them after having gotten 2 deer in archery.

Around noon, they came back to camp with a 7 point.
    His kiddo saw nothing but dragged his dads buck a mile plus.

Even though his kiddo saw nothing, he did have extra time to be in the woods.

Monday was worse for shots fired. Only a couple that I heard.

We hunt just north of Tionesta.

7 miles north of us, a friend got a real nice 10 point near Titioute.
    East of us 20 plus miles and near Sigel, another buddy got a really nice 8 point. Both on Sat.

The Sat start didnt really affect us in a negative way.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

I like the Saturday opener, my daughter was able to join us up in 2G who normally would miss opener on Monday due to college. Unfortunately, no bucks seen nor taken. Heard a good number of shots from around 7:15 until 8 AM then relatively quiet.

Kids left Sunday during a break in the ice storm then it snowed spectacularly late afternoon through the morning. Monday was beautiful in the stand but alas, no bucks.

(Allegheny County)

I always found it funny that people acted as if deer only existed for one day out of 365.25.

(Lancaster County)

This exactly, if you dont like it..well dont fuckin hunt on saturday, business as usual for you guys, change nothing in YOUR routine, let the rest of us enjoy some 21st century progress. let's face it , the genie is out of the bottle, it is a different society than 20,30 or 40 years ago. many of us for good or bad have many more responsibilities and job commitments than years ago. I purchased a license and went out for the first time in nearly 10 years due to work commitments and the saturday opener. Ended up taking the rifle for a long walk while hearing sporadic shots in the distance, but thoroughly enjoyed myself none the less

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast