Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thoughts on training?

Start with a good first aid course. Sandcut offers such courses. Then learn to shoot. That way if you or anyone else around you has an accident, you know what to do.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Monroe County)

What I’m gathering is start with a basic range fundamentals and work my way up from there and train with preferably a retried Leo or military.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc112994 View Post
    What I’m gathering is start with a basic range fundamentals and work my way up from there and train with preferably a retried Leo or military.
    There are several retired police/military guys here that train people.
    I do too but I'm down by Philly.

Rosco is in your neighborhood and he does training.
    You may want to send him a message and see what's doable.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lackawanna County)

If you’re not a seasoned shooter and want to learn the fundamentals of defensive shooting etc the dingmans guys would fit your bill. They aren’t Larry vickers or anything but don’t claim to be and they are a good group.

(Monroe County)

Now the NRA courses are barely 101 courses so I don't push those but they are better than VODA. LEO.. ok there are exceptions but few and far between...mil..again...so few really know or had more than the cookie cutter qual training and min rounds shot a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc112994 View Post
    Ok I'm what listed below and retired Navy and still staff on the Navy Marksmanship Team. I instructed and coached all manner of shooters inc active duty at the Navy matches and Boy Scout shooting events and pubic ranges that had visitors from all over the world . New shooters are my specialty. Real fun is when they don't even speak english.

I gather your not sure what you are looking for but you like more info than what you have now. I like to stress fundamentals of a good shot along with there is more than one way to shoot successfully and to find what works for you.

I'm in Brodheadsville and would like to meet sometime, I have a feeling I know what you're looking for but need more info and it's had to do this over the forum.
    I'm busy with work and hunting but have some time after season. PM me if interested.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

One thing that advanced my shooting more than anything else was my first IDPA match. It's not tactical training and it's not realistic. It will show you how much you are lacking at drawing from concealment, reloading, shooting on the move, shooting from vehicles, shooting from cover. Once you get the basics down and are confident go to a match. It is great practice, but it's a game. Some of the skills definitely transfer to real life.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    One thing that advanced my shooting more than anything else was my first IDPA match. It's not tactical training and it's not realistic. It will show you how much you are lacking at drawing from concealment, reloading, shooting on the move, shooting from vehicles, shooting from cover. Once you get the basics down and are confident go to a match. It is great practice, but it's a game. Some of the skills definitely transfer to real life.
    ^ #truth I shoot 2/3 gun and it when you get in with other shooters and you can learn from them it really raises your bar of performance. Don't get mad if you don't do well at first. Got to start somewhere.
    Or as the Marines put it-
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Ewwww idpa lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Ewwww idpa lol.
    I didn't think the new guy could handle the USPSA. It would make him quit shooting after the first match. Let him shoot IDPA, think he's pretty good then get his soul crushed at a USPSA match when he realizes he totally sucks.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

speaking of 2/3gun... even outside of idpa, some outdoor clubs. at least east bangor sportman. will run open to public shooting matches.
    sometimes rifle, sometimes pistol. i think sometimes 2-gun and other times pistol cal carbine.
    different classes for rimfire and etc. bowlingpin shoots and all that fun stuff.

i've never had the chance to join one, it is my local range. but hell i havent even had time to renew my membership expired in sept.

worst case you blow $5 on the match and suck the worst.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast