Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Purple Paint Law In PA. indicating No Tresspassing / Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Maybe we should stop using printed traffic signs and just put up colored squares that mean the same thing. There should be enough colors to cover everything.

But randomly painting a tree or a post Purple is supposed to have a meaning? WTF were they thinking?
    We could do that with traffic signs, it isn't like anyone bothers to heed them anyway.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

But randomly painting a tree or a post Purple is supposed to have a meaning? WTF were they thinking?
    Exactly!
    And whats the rules on it? Any amount of paint is acceptable? What about distancing?

Id love to see someone find a bunch of 1" brush dots every 50 yards and be able to keep track of that.
    This also brings up property line issues.
    How long before people begin ceding land from their neighbors around them, and begin claiming Adverse Possession?

Maybe we should stop using printed traffic signs and just put up colored squares that mean the same thing. There should be enough colors to cover everything.

It's almost as though there are more trashy hunters who rip signs off trees, than there are speeders who carefully unscrew all the metal speed limit signs from their intended route.

Few dirtbags will take the time to scrub paint off 100 trees, although I suppose they might spray paint over them; but that would require more thought and planning than the trespassing sort would likely be capable of undertaking.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Also,
    If right down the road from your driveway, was a road. That went back into the forest, no signs, no gates. Not even a mailbox or anything of the sort. One day out of curiosity you pull it up on google maps. Still cant make anything out. Sure doesnt appear to be any structures. Just slowly tapers down but continues on.

You wouldnt ever wanna turn down that road?
    Theres no legal reason you cant to my knowledge.
    I might turn down the road once, to see if I could confirm there was no one on that parcel to get permission from. But to assume "It's okay until I'm told otherwise?" and then make continued visits for recreational puposes? Nope. That's not the way I was raised.

These days, boundary and owner info is readily available online, for free. There's zero excuse for not making contact first. "Presumptive permission" is a large reason there is a broad need for cheap and easy messaging. Personally, I think the law should have been "Assume you're not wanted unless you see 'x' signal". That used to be the common assumption, but everyone is too self-focused anymore, so they just assume their wishes are ok with everyone else unless they're informed otherwise.

It's not about "low impact". It's about respect for others.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Exactly!
    And whats the rules on it? Any amount of paint is acceptable? What about distancing?

Id love to see someone find a bunch of 1" brush dots every 50 yards and be able to keep track of that.
    This also brings up property line issues.
    How long before people begin ceding land from their neighbors around them, and begin claiming Adverse Possession?
    I'm starting to think you're being willfully obtuse. Minimum mark size, placement relative to the ground, and spacing freqency are all spelled out in the law.

The game commission has been using white dots on trees and tiny signs to mark gameland boundaries for years. Other states have used purple dots and signage as no trespass for years. Some of you just want to be chicken little, there is an app called "on x hunt". It shows you property lines, owners contact info etc and can use GPS to see where you are.

(Clarion County)

Went and looked at the House Bill 1772.
    The bill specifies that purple stripes painted on trees or posts must be at least eight inches long and one inch wide, and placed at locations readily visible to a person approaching the property and no more than 100 feet apart.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...type=B&bn=1772
    Personally would like to see all responsibility fall on those "approaching" any property, marked or not. If you're fined and use the excuse you didn't know, well you will next time.
    As a side note my land has been posted over 30 years, neighbors welcome, and very few refused who've asked.
    Edit: Just thought of this. Does this mean on open fields next to a road I'll have to plant posts and mark every 100 ft.?
    Damn, one or two signs usually covered it.
    Last edited by cephas; December 3rd, 2019 at 09:43 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Edit: Just thought of this. Does this mean on open fields next to a road I'll have to plant posts and mark every 100 ft.?
    Damn, one or two signs usually covered it.
    IMO, no.

No prior provisions (signage) are removed. One new one (purple paint) is added.

"Posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;" ie - signage, is still enough, on its own, to be a violation if ignored.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    Interesting. Who lobbied the legislature for this change? It seems to me that this is a solution in search of a problem at the very least, and maybe something worse if you are right. In any event, don't count on this being an effective trespassing deterrent anytime soon.
    Sorry I strongly disagree. This gives me, the land owner some more help. I've lost three game cameras this year to people trespassing and stealing them. I've had "no trespassing" signs stolen, pole and all. there is a path beaten around my gate that has three signs (one on the gate, one on each former telephone pole post. There's property damage from 4x4s, dirt bikes and ATVs coming in from the neighbor's property (unsecured). I had a storage trailer burned There are very few State Police in the area, and the Game Commission folks would just say "sorry can't do anything". Now at least it's a principle that the Game folks CAN help me with, and maybe I can finally have a little peace and less stress in my relaxation place.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    The game commission has been using white dots on trees and tiny signs to mark gameland boundaries for years. Other states have used purple dots and signage as no trespass for years. Some of you just want to be chicken little, there is an app called "on x hunt". It shows you property lines, owners contact info etc and can use GPS to see where you are.
    Im going to have to loom into that, sounds like a valuable resource.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast