Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Few questions about regulations....

I just bought a blaze orange jacket and hat due to regs, would there be a problem carrying a non-blaze orange backpack?

Also, how many weapons are allowed per hunter? Just wondering if I could carry my .22LR and shotgun at the same time (also will be concealed carrying).

Going for "tree rats" tomorrow morning!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Few questions about regulations....

As long as you wear the required amount of orange, you can wear or carry any kind and or size or color pack you want. And you can carry and hunt with 2 different firearms as long as they are legal to hunt with. I.E. a muzzleloader for deer and a .22 for squirrels. Just don't mix the guns up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt49 View Post
    As long as you wear the required amount of orange, you can wear or carry any kind and or size or color pack you want. And you can carry and hunt with 2 different firearms as long as they are legal to hunt with. I.E. a muzzleloader for deer and a .22 for squirrels. Just don't mix the guns up.
    Hahaha tree rat + .50 cal slug :P

as for the Orange as far as I am aware ihunt is correct, the reg used to read "visible from 360 degrees" which made wearing a backpack a violation but I don't see that in there anywhere.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Hahaha tree rat + .50 cal slug :P

as for the Orange as far as I am aware ihunt is correct, the reg used to read "visible from 360 degrees" which made wearing a backpack a violation but I don't see that in there anywhere.
    Wearing a backpack never made a hunter in violation of the 360 rule as far as I am aware....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Wearing a backpack never made a hunter in violation of the 360 rule as far as I am aware....
    I thought it was one of those "if you piss us off we'll enforce it" type rules. same as wearing a tree stand, which I think is why they did away with it. Could be wrong though...

either way its not a rule anymore, although I have to wonder since the size limits are posted can I wear less orange now? I need 250 sq inches, the average vest is much larger then that I think...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

You need 250 sq inches total of orange with 100 sq inches on your head. The orange must be visible 360*. As long as you have 100" + on your head, it's visible 360*. I wear a reversible boonie cap with 125 inches of orange and a 5"X40" orange sash. I've never been questioned by PGC or DOI guys while wearing them with a treestand or pack on my back.

(Monroe County)

so correct me if I'm wrong...

based on the "book" I am not permitted to wear a camo/orange hat during some seasons even if it has over the required limit? are you kidding?

Also after looking the "visible 360 degrees" rule is still in effect for some seasons... lemme email the pgc and see what they say, I could have sworn the ruling was basically if you are wearing something that will block the orange then you need to attach orange to whatever was on your back so the 360 degree visibility would be restored.

What really pisses me off is Blaze orange should be blaze orange, I shouldn't have to buy a different hat and different vests to meet their petty rules. why do I have to wear a solid orange cap? a 60 - 70% blaze hat won't work? why?
    Last edited by Dredly; October 19th, 2008 at 11:59 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I'm gonna get a custom Blaze orange top hat that is 250 sq in...............
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

I had a .50 M-L and .22 mag all day yesterday, 1 for deer, 1 for tree-rats!!!!!!

(Perry County)

Yeah I don't believe that the PGC would make a big deal out of violating 360 degrees with a backpack. They've been getting better with blaze requirements the last few years, so I doubt they'd get their panties in a bunch over that. I would imagine though, that if you get caught doing something else illegal, and piss them off, they might add that to the violation tally.

Oh yeah and every response is correct about the number of guns. As long as you have a LTCF for the carry gun, and the rest of them are legal for whatever season is in, you're good to go. Of course I don't know why you'd bother taking two guns for small game. Sounds like a hassle to me, but hey.. to each his own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast