Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default PLR16 vs Extar EXP556

Searched other forums besides here and shocked there isnt much out there on this...

Keltec PLR16 556 pistol vs Extar EXP gen2 556 pistol?

My thoughts are that my primary use is "get home" bag gun / range fun; the idea of using this for home defense seems ludicrous to me - you and your family would never hear again... but on the move/ outdoors seems reasonable.

Both are compact and light, weight and recoil on exp 556 seems to win over the PLR; recoil is reported to be next to nothing and is lighter.

Spare parts accessibility goes to PLR, can buy just about every part (spare bolt, extractors, etc) right off website; no spare parts readily bought for EXP via new frontier (who took over manufacturing). This is a big concern...

Would only run either with a brace, nod goes to EXP556 gen2 for making 1913 rail standard (no aftermarket or factory mod needed to add brace, no extra expense)

Ease of disassembly seems to go to EXP556, less parts; also like being able to change grip to any AR style grip (would do magpul grip and stow ear plugs and red dot battery in grip) - as stated earlier, they are must have...

Price goes to PLR... can get brand new for $401 shipped, approx $150 cheaper... but would need adapter for brace (approx $50)

Both are polymer so durability is prob same?

Not a fan of EXP556 forend/ handguard and no aftermarket... plenty of options for PLR

Undecided here... any input?

And yes i know there will be many "neither bc polymer is crap" but this is a stow and forget, get home/ range item and size/weight combined with mobility/ firepower is hard to beat at this pricepoint.

Default Re: PLR16 vs Extar EXP556

I've had a extar gen 1 for years and never a problem with it. Wish they'd make a rifle version.

(Philadelphia County)

Have you shot 223 in it? I am reading that it was designed for 556 and that sometimes 223 wont cycle.. that right there might tip the scale in favor of the PLR

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    Have you shot 223 in it? I am reading that it was designed for 556 and that sometimes 223 wont cycle.. that right there might tip the scale in favor of the PLR
    I use mostly sterl cased ammo that is usually under powered compared to 556. With no issues

(Philadelphia County)

That is very helpful thanks for the experienced feedback... do you have spare extractors etc? Im not sure sure if it uses standard AR extractors or something else? Im also seeing that you can use a drop in aftermarket AR trigger which is very cool... from the looks of things you might even be able to use a standard AR lower and just attach that end piece -???

That is very helpful thanks for the experienced feedback... do you have spare extractors etc? Im not sure sure if it uses standard AR extractors or something else? Im also seeing that you can use a drop in aftermarket AR trigger which is very cool... from the looks of things you might even be able to use a standard AR lower and just attach that end piece -???
    Most lower parts interchange, there is something different on the lower above the buffer tube mount that the endcap attaches to. Without it confront of me it's hard to explain. I'll dig it out later

Idk if the pictures work ... but a standard bolt will fit in the extar carrier. Same firing pin, cam pin etc.

(Philadelphia County)

Just ordered one gen 2...

(Blair County)

Searched other forums besides here and shocked there isnt much out there on this...

Keltec PLR16 556 pistol vs Extar EXP gen2 556 pistol?

My thoughts are that my primary use is "get home" bag gun / range fun; the idea of using this for home defense seems ludicrous to me - you and your family would never hear again... but on the move/ outdoors seems reasonable.

Both are compact and light, weight and recoil on exp 556 seems to win over the PLR; recoil is reported to be next to nothing and is lighter.

Spare parts accessibility goes to PLR, can buy just about every part (spare bolt, extractors, etc) right off website; no spare parts readily bought for EXP via new frontier (who took over manufacturing). This is a big concern...

Would only run either with a brace, nod goes to EXP556 gen2 for making 1913 rail standard (no aftermarket or factory mod needed to add brace, no extra expense)

Ease of disassembly seems to go to EXP556, less parts; also like being able to change grip to any AR style grip (would do magpul grip and stow ear plugs and red dot battery in grip) - as stated earlier, they are must have...

Price goes to PLR... can get brand new for $401 shipped, approx $150 cheaper... but would need adapter for brace (approx $50)

Both are polymer so durability is prob same?

Not a fan of EXP556 forend/ handguard and no aftermarket... plenty of options for PLR

Undecided here... any input?

And yes i know there will be many "neither bc polymer is crap" but this is a stow and forget, get home/ range item and size/weight combined with mobility/ firepower is hard to beat at this pricepoint.
    I have a 556 AR pistol with 7.5" barrel. Ive fired it in a basement before without ears on. It wasnt so bad. 5.56 is also less likely to penetrate interior walls then shotguns or pistols.....so actually they are pretty good home defense guns

(Philadelphia County)

so i took advantage of the black friday sale that new frontier was running and got 10% off + free shipping... which brought the exp 556 gen 2 down to the gen 1 price tag.
    received it yesterday and got to the range; it cycled 223 brass reload ammo that i picked up at oaks but not some other ammo (didnt note the brand) and it ran some/ had some issues with ignition with tula steel.
    this was right out the box without my normal lube-out-of-the-box treatment and i also realize there is some break in required.

overall i am very very happy with this and think it was a great buy!

i picked up a SB Tactical FS1913 Pistol Stabilizing Brace Side Folder on black friday too, which is incredible suited for this firearm.

i ran this setup against my yugo m85np with sig brace and honestly i prefer the EXP556, very lightweight, 'handy', and smooth.
    can not comment on durability at the moment; assuming the m85np would win there hands down given the construction.
    Last edited by bugout; December 6th, 2019 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast