Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Trigger and Bolt Question

Specifically for a Savage Axis II however can apply to many rifles. Looking at my Axis II, seems that the trigger my guess does not really ever need to be cleaned because there really is no chance of powder getting in/on it. Unless I drop in mud of course. Really do I even need to oil it? Seems well enclosed and well, is it really necessary?

The bolt, my guess is normal maintenance would be wipe down/clean and bolt face scrub and clean good. Maybe some oil/grease on back of locking lugs and side of them? Other than that, how often would you all disassemble the bolt and clean? Seems not so often? Oil inside of bolt/spring/firing pin contact points? Just asking as I am really unsure.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trigger and Bolt Question

That is essentially what I do with my bolt guns. The chamber is usually what gets dirtiest

My triggers have been solid so far but folks do bring alcohol to spray in em to clean em if they gunk up mid match.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

So, you don’t touch the trigger? Clean it or oil?

As far a bolt, do you ever take fully apart to clean and if so how often and what do you oil?

IMO apply a light oil. Rust can get anywhere. Just moving any metal from cold to warm can cause condensation. YMMV
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    IMO apply a light oil. Rust can get anywhere. Just moving any metal from cold to warm can cause condensation. YMMV
    I watched a guy's pistol begin to "sweat" within seconds after entering bear camp last week. It happens. When I bring my rifle home from a hunt, it stays out of the safe and is given time to reach room temperature. A good wipe down and then into the safe.

Be careful with the type and how much lube/oil you use on your bolt. An over lubricated bolt in the cold could result in a "click" during extreme cold. Just happened to a guy I know. Pulled up on a solid buck (NY) and got a light primer strike. Stay away from Hoppes Oil if you can help it. It doesn't handle the cold very well.

(Berks County)

Using remoil or Lubriplate. I always let my guns get to room temp so to speak before back in the dehumidified goldenrod as well humidity monitored safe!

So back to my take bolt apart and clean/oil trigger, thoughts and how often if so?