Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Default Transferring stripped AR lowers

I just spoke to a local dealer and he indicated that I needed to choose if the lower was going to be completed into a handgun or long gun before the transfer so that the PSP handgun paperwork could be included if required. All other times I have been witness to a transfer of virgin AR lowers, they were transferred as “OTHER” and only the federal form was required. Am I missing something?

I always thought the “OTHER” indication and building the lower out first as a pistol then later as a rifle would cover all contingencies for the future.

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transferring stripped AR lowers

So long has it hasn't been assembled as a handgun, the PSP form SP4-113 should NOT be filled out. ...regardless as to how you assemble it afterwards. PA law has a specific definition of a "firearm" that requires a barrel length measurement. If it is a bare receiver it has no barrel to measure.

I'd find another FFL to deal with.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    I just spoke to a local dealer and he indicated that I needed to choose if the lower was going to be completed into a handgun or long gun before the transfer so that the PSP handgun paperwork could be included if required. All other times I have been witness to a transfer of virgin AR lowers, they were transferred as “OTHER” and only the federal form was required. Am I missing something?

I always thought the “OTHER” indication and building the lower out first as a pistol then later as a rifle would cover all contingencies for the future.

Thanks
    This is correct!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Wyoming County)

OP are you using a dealer as a "personal choice"? Without digging through the regs, off the top of my head I THINK - no ffl is required so long as it's an "In-State" transfer to someone lawfully allowed to purchase. AKA "face to face"
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lycoming County)

Thanks
    "OTHER" Is the correct way to do it. If the FFL won't do it that way find another that knows how things actually are supposed to be transferred.

It would be a transfer to me of a new stripped lower from a non-local FFL, so FFL required on my end.

(Wyoming County)

It would be a transfer to me of a new stripped lower from a non-local FFL, so FFL required on my end.
    Gotcha! Yeah find a different FFL
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Thanks everyone! I will go elsewhere.

Sheesh...these people have been in business for a LONG time. You would think they would know.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks everyone! I will go elsewhere.

Sheesh...these people have been in business for a LONG time. You would think they would know.
    not sure what kind of deal your getting or if it's an AR lower but Smithgalls in Lancaster (yes it's a pharmacy too.) has the aero pew lowers for $54.00 each that's not a bad deal at all if your going to use an ffl regardless.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    So long has it hasn't been assembled as a handgun, the PSP form SP4-113 should NOT be filled out. ...regardless as to how you assemble it afterwards. PA law has a specific definition of a "firearm" that requires a barrel length measurement. If it is a bare receiver it has no barrel to measure.

I'd find another FFL to deal with.
    More to the point it can't be filled out.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast