Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone assembled a dedicated .22LR upper?

The ruger SR22 is a 10/22 in a ar style chassis/stock kit btw.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I'm on my way with the .22LR build. It is going to add up to more than a complete S&W ready-made, and that's with my own complete lower, handguards, front cap, delta ring/nut and my own Anderson receiver. Insane it is. But what else to do with a lower and already-owned parts? Guess I'da been way ahead just selling them cheap if anyone would want them.

Some make money on guns and parts. I can't seem to even save money LOL

Oh well. Can't take it with me, and the kids'll just waste it.
    I've been back and forth giving this thought and I think it boils down to what you're looking to get out of it. If all you want is something that 'looks' like an AR, the various options like the S&W and others are good for the price, you're not going to get into it any cheaper. The difference is they aren't using all 'real' AR parts so the experience is going to be somewhat different. Using standard AR parts will definitely cost more but its closer to what you have now. Plus you get to use up some spares and be able to use standard AR customization's.

Does it make a real difference? Who knows, these are all just toys anyway

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post
    I've been back and forth giving this thought and I think it boils down to what you're looking to get out of it. If all you want is something that 'looks' like an AR, the various options like the S&W and others are good for the price, you're not going to get into it any cheaper. The difference is they aren't using all 'real' AR parts so the experience is going to be somewhat different. Using standard AR parts will definitely cost more but its closer to what you have now. Plus you get to use up some spares and be able to use standard AR customization's.

Does it make a real difference? Who knows, these are all just toys anyway

That pretty much sums it up.

I can't recall if the S&W M&P22 was out when I got my 22 upper, but I do recall that as the prices on those fell, it became hard to ignore the value of getting an "almost" AR15 for those prices.

My Chiappa 22 upper is pretty close to the real deal (hand guards can swap like a real AR), but has a fake flash hider (the "holes" are just half-cuts for appearance sake) and the forward assist is just a plunger on a spring for appearance only.

I built my lower for that one to include a buffer/spring even though it's not needed - that way it can be swapped out to throw a real AR15 upper on it if need be.

This was my Son's 7th B-day present exactly one year ago tomorrow.

I paid around $260.00 for the complete upper from PSA.
    It's a nice little rig especially for my kid with my only complaint being less then average accuracy as compared to a 10/22 or savage when you get out to 50 yards plus.

This year he asked for an AK-47 because that's his favorite gun, but we are going to be passing on that one for now.

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    The ruger SR22 is a 10/22 in a ar style chassis/stock kit btw.
    100% correct. When ruger first came out with the sr22 msrp was close to $650.00.Than they discontinued the model you could pick one up for about 50% off msrp.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    This was my Son's 7th B-day present exactly one year ago tomorrow.

I paid around $260.00 for the complete upper from PSA.
    It's a nice little rig especially for my kid with my only complaint being less then average accuracy as compared to a 10/22 or savage when you get out to 50 yards plus.

This year he asked for an AK-47 because that's his favorite gun, but we are going to be passing on that one for now.

I was looking at those PSA .22 uppers. They got horrible reviews right on PSA's website. They've were out of stock, & I haven't seen them back in stock since I was looking. Thought maybe PSA gave up on them
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I was looking at those PSA .22 uppers. They got horrible reviews right on PSA's website. They've were out of stock, & I haven't seen them back in stock since I was looking. Thought maybe PSA gave up on them
    It runs really well without any failures and I haven't taken it past 15 yards since it only comes out when my son is shooting it. & years old don't like shooting tiny 5 round groups and quite frankly if something doesn't come out of the box moa or sub moa these days everyone calls it crap. Maybe it's a valid issue but I am not worried about it and wouldn't be looking to shoot 50 or 100 yard groups with a 10.5" AR 22lr pistol anyway.

One day when I get around to joining a range or find a friend with some opened land where I can stretch it out I will, if it sucks for that roll then I will be the 1st to say it. Being that PSA has that forever guarantee I wont hesitate to call them if there is a big enough issue.

(Armstrong County)

Ive built a good many, starting with my first from scratch with a 10/22 barrel and threading it for an AR barrel extension (no one made barrels shorter than 10" back in 2008-2010) to normal dedicated kits.
    The drop in kits are good if you are not shooting suppressed. 22LR needs a 1:16 twist rate to stablize the bullet. The 1:7/1:8/1:9 556 twist rates will kinda work, but baffle strike chances go way up. Plus you will need a spacer to run a 22LR can on 5.56 AR barrel threads.

Ive posted this before and I'll say it again. Ammo cost aside, my AR22 gets more round through it than any other gun i have.

For the SBR/pistol option...
    https://www.righttobear.com/CMMG-22L...-p/22d5b6e.htm
    https://www.righttobear.com/anderson...-p/m4slick.htm
    https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-Char...tb-22ba596.htm

add your rail of choice

Ive run both Black dog and CCMG mags. I have a pile of Black Dogs so thats what i use. I think i have only used 3 or 4 of the couple dozen i have. I thought they would wear out. Just need to clean them, esp if running the gun with a can.
    Last edited by Nate7667; November 25th, 2019 at 03:12 PM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

Parts came yesterday. Fired five 36gr Golden Bullets into a wood block in the shop. Cycles fine. Now to sight it in and see what its capable of.

Made a 40-dollar mistake ordering a collar, not realizing one comes with the bolt. Hoping they'll take it back.

Update. On the range, it fired several rounds and began fail to chamber completely, fail to fire due to incomplete chambering, fail to eject, dropping a live round into the lower mechanics.

Home and reading of others experiences, some are lucky by hundreds and some getting what I am. All seem to agree the Remington Golden bullets and similar are a guaranteed bad day. Geez...gotta feed this thing high-end ammo? That's not jiving with my plans to shoot lots for cheap.
    Last edited by Bang; November 30th, 2019 at 11:02 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Armstrong County)

Remington Goldens have larger driving bands, resulting in some issues with some chambers. I would bet its the ammo.
    You could try and lightly polish the chamber.

For some "budget" meaning cheaper than CCI std vel, try some Federal 36gr plated, Aguila std vel and Super Extra 40gr, Federal automatch, CCI Blazer 22, and im sure some others all worked well for me. Just grab some 50rd boxes and see what works, then buy a pickup truck worth lol
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast