Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default How early can I renew my license to carry?

My license to carry is due for renewal early next year, and of course by then I'll have a new sheriff with a D after her name. So I'm wondering, how early can you renew? I looked on the form and on the LTCF itself and didn't see anything. Can I submit it now so that I avoid any hassles?

Thanks for any input.

Mick

(Carbon County)

Default Re: How early can I renew my license to carry?

Whenever you renew it, it will expire 5years from the date you renew.

You won't get an extra year by doing it a year early
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Berks County)

I like your idea of getting it now, you have no idea what the replacement is going to do to you and it's only $20 so you're not losing a lot of money over it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    Whenever you renew it, it will expire 5years from the date you renew.

You won't get an extra year by doing it a year early
    Thanks for your feedback, not trying to get an extra year, just trying to make sure I retain it before the D takes over. I expect if she'd cause trouble it'd be at the beginning of her tenure rather than five years from that, so I am just thinking the least trouble may be get it before she comes in, and then renew again five years after she's in and everyone already stopped her from screwing with peoples LTCFs (or whatever may occur during that time).

That said, it sounds like you're saying I can renew any time (?), but when I do it'll be five years from then, which is fine by me.

Thanks again!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I like your idea of getting it now, you have no idea what the replacement is going to do to you and it's only $20 so you're not losing a lot of money over it.
    Yea, I figured if it's permitted, I'll renew early and let someone else be her first application!

BTW, it's not clear if either of you are saying "Yes, you CAN renew whenever and it will renew for five years form that point" or if you'e saying 'sounds like a good idea...' but don't know for sure if that's allowed.

If either of you could clarify I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks again!

(Lehigh County)

I see in your future the potential for a lot of travel and you want to renew now, because you may be traveling when it comes due and don't want to miss it.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, not trying to get an extra year, just trying to make sure I retain it before the D takes over. I expect if she'd cause trouble it'd be at the beginning of her tenure rather than five years from that, so I am just thinking the least trouble may be get it before she comes in, and then renew again five years after she's in and everyone already stopped her from screwing with peoples LTCFs (or whatever may occur during that time).

That said, it sounds like you're saying I can renew any time (?), but when I do it'll be five years from then, which is fine by me.

Thanks again!
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. I realized as long as the state law doesn't change she has to follow whats on the form. I figure just apply 2 wks before the 45 days and I'll be fine. My cousin works for the sheriffs office in Monroe(?) county. Sheriff doesn't even really look at them, its their lackys who aren't elected and will still be the same.

(Jefferson County)

There is no set date as to how early you can renew, but practically all sheriffs will only renew within 60days. ...which is when they are required to send out the renew notices.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no set date as to how early you can renew, but practically all sheriffs will only renew within 60days. ...which is when they are required to send out the renew notices.
    Hmm....And what if he lost his current one?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. I realized as long as the state law doesn't change she has to follow whats on the form. I figure just apply 2 wks before the 45 days and I'll be fine. My cousin works for the sheriffs office in Monroe(?) county. Sheriff doesn't even really look at them, its their lackys who aren't elected and will still be the same.
    Sheriff Bunny Welsh doesn't look at the LTCF renewals. Every time I've had mine renewed, it's been handled by a deputy. Since they've gone digital, it's all been done on the same day. Maybe the new sheriff will take a more active role in the LTCF process, but ultimately, it will still be handled by her deputies. I don't foresee Chester County going the way of Philadelphia in that regard. And if it does, maybe it will motivate gun owners to actually get off their asses and vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast