Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Federal Legalization of Marijuana is On The Table.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Some people , especially 'recovering' types label anyone whose ever had 1 drink an alcoholic with their ''Denial is the first sign of addiction!" and ''Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic'' tag lines.
    Funny I'm around those "recovering types" all the time and never heard that. Yes you never stop being an addict, you are either using or in recovery. Some people develop a chemical dependency without being a full blown addict.
    Last edited by Exbiker; November 28th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So reject science and I suppose the world is flat.................... Like I said you can't fix stupid.
    Calling drug and alcohol abuse a disease is complete nonsense. It's an unhealthy way to deal with problems. People use it to escape and cope with problems. It turns into a physiological problem in time. Sure some people are genetically predisposed to addiction but it's not cancer for Christ sake. Calling it a disease is way to place blame somewhere else besides where it belongs, on yourself. The whole disease bullshit is why I thought AA was not for me.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

As I had previously posted, my Dad was an alcoholic. During his heyday, he drank from the time he got up in the morning until he went to bed. He went through three 28 day programs which didn’t work.

Eventually he quit drinking on his own and didn’t have a drink for the last 25 years of his life. But by then it was too late. Because of bad business decisions made while he was drinking, he almost completely destroyed a multi-million dollar commercial construction business that he had started from scratch. At one time the Company had over 200 employees. The business didn’t go under, but it was just a shell of what it was at one time.

It is said that it can be hereditary. I don’t know. I drink a lot of beer. But do I drink every day? No. On the days that I don’t drink, do I feel any kind of withdrawal or wish I had a beer? No.

I lived with my Dad’s drinking from my late adolescent years through my 20’s. But again, I have a hard time calling it an actual disease.

ETA: My Dad was never abusive in any way when drinking. But it certainly was a mental toll on the entire family.
    Last edited by Here4now; November 28th, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Calling drug and alcohol abuse a disease is complete nonsense. It's an unhealthy way to deal with problems. People use it to escape and cope with problems. It turns into a physiological problem in time. Sure some people are genetically predisposed to addiction but it's not cancer for Christ sake. Calling it a disease is way to place blame somewhere else besides where it belongs, on yourself. The whole disease bullshit is why I thought AA was not for me.
    So no brain disease? No PTSD? No depression just get over it? Imagine all the veterans with those fake diseases taking their own lives because of some moral failure. You should write your theory up and send it to the VA. Heck it's not cancer.

(Clinton County)

Yea, hereditary my ass. Nobody used to drink as much beer as my old man used to, I rarely ever drink.

The way we've been handling drugs in this country is completely ass backwards and there isn't any good argument to continue doing it the way we've been doing it. The war on drugs is a failure, the way we treat people with substance abuse is a complete failure, the misinformation is laughable and our biggest failure was educating people to raise awareness about these things and I ain't talking about the bullshit they teach in school health class.

Those who are pro war on drugs should take a fraction of a second and learn about what Switzerland did for heroin abusers and look at the statistics around what they were able to do. I won't hold my breath though because it goes against everything the reefer madness types believe is possible.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Calling drug and alcohol abuse a disease is complete nonsense. It's an unhealthy way to deal with problems. People use it to escape and cope with problems.

Calling it a disease is way to place blame somewhere else besides where it belongs, on yourself.
    In other words , an EXCUSE!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    As I had previously posted, my Dad was an alcoholic. During his heyday, he drank from the time he got up in the morning until he went to bed.

It is said that it can be hereditary. I don’t know. I drink a lot of beer. But do I drink every day? No. On the days that I don’t drink, do I feel any kind of withdrawal or wish I had a beer? No.

I lived with my Dad’s drinking from my late adolescent years through my 20’s. But again, I have a hard time calling it an actual disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Yea, hereditary my ass. Nobody used to drink as much beer as my old man used to, I rarely ever drink.
    So does it come from Mom or Dad? Fetal Alcohol Syndrome does make sense if a mother drank heavily during pregnancy. I know mine sure did. Does it mean you're predisposed to becoming an alcoholic? According to some 'experts' , yes.

But as was said above, ''I drink a lot of beer. But do I drink every day? No. On the days that I don’t drink, do I feel any kind of withdrawal or wish I had a beer? No.'' I feel worse if I don't stop at Wawa for my mandatory morning qt of orange juice. I'm sure there's some deep , dark underlying headshrinker psycho-babel reason for that.

I haven't had a hangover or missed a day of work due to drinking too much the night before in probably 25yrs. I've worked with guys who threw up in the trashcan as soon as they got to work every day and didn't stop shaking till they went to the local bar for 'lunch'. Some went out to their cars during break and took a few swigs.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Do you have any idea how much sugar and carbs are in that OJ? You'd be better off with a beer.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So no brain disease? No PTSD? No depression just get over it? Imagine all the veterans with those fake diseases taking their own lives because of some moral failure. You should write your theory up and send it to the VA. Heck it's not cancer.
    How in the hell is depression and PTSD a disease? Being exposed to traumatic brain injury and horrific things does not sound like a disease to me. It's terrible, it's real, it requires therapy and medications but I wouldn't call it a disease. None of them just woke up with a case of the PTSD. They were exposed to a bunch of terrible shit usually mixed in with a brain injury. I know depression and PTSD are no joke. They may be more deadly than cancer when you look at all the suicides. I get what you are saying. It's something about calling it a disease that just doesn't seem right to me. Here is the definition:

A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.

I guess looking at the definition of disease it could fall into that category. You could also say that PTSD could be the direct result of physical and mental injury. If you have PTSD from being raped it would be the result of that injury to your mind and body. The injury needs to be treated and is serious but I wouldn't call that a disease.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Nobody suffers from PTSD as the result of single event, like witnessing the death of a loved one or being raped. People who claim PTSD from a single event are gaming the system and soliciting pity while at the same time belittling those who really suffer.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast