Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    downingtown, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    Wondering if anyone has done this.My son just moved to Va and i want to gift or transfer him a handgun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I know it's not a problem within the state,but im having a hard time getting a definite answer about one state to another.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    4,202
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has done this.My son just moved to Va and i want to gift or transfer him a handgun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I know it's not a problem within the state,but im having a hard time getting a definite answer about one state to another.
    Out of state pistol transfers have to go through an FFL unless it's willed to him.

    You can either mail it to an FFL in VA, or drive it down to an FFL in VA and have it transferred to him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    18,873
    Rep Power
    21474868

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    All interstate transfers require a FFL to facilitate the transfer. Handguns must be transferred at FFL in the recipient's home state. Long guns can be transferred in any state.


    The only exception requires someone to die. ...thus a transfer by bequest or intestate succession.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,993
    Rep Power
    19823522

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Out of state pistol transfers have to go through an FFL unless it's willed to him.

    You can either mail it to an FFL in VA, or drive it down to an FFL in VA and have it transferred to him.
    A non FFL CANNOT mail a handgun anywhere. A non FFL can use the USPS to mail a long arm but not a handgun. The giver can transport to a FFL in VA to be transferred to his son or he can take the handgun to a PA FFL to have the PA FFL use USPS to send it to a VA FFL. Or the father can use UPS or FedEx to ship it to a VA FFL but it is expensive and you have to jump through the UPS or FedEx hoops.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USN Retired, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Posts
    3,514
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    ^this
    TriggerTime LLc 01/02 FFL CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun MB Counselor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    4,202
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    ^^^ Correct, my bad. I should have specified ship instead of mail.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    5,118
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Transferring handgun to my son in VA

    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    A non FFL CANNOT mail a handgun anywhere. A non FFL can use the USPS to mail a long arm but not a handgun. The giver can transport to a FFL in VA to be transferred to his son or he can take the handgun to a PA FFL to have the PA FFL use USPS to send it to a VA FFL. Or the father can use UPS or FedEx to ship it to a VA FFL but it is expensive and you have to jump through the UPS or FedEx hoops.
    Just to add, I recently shipped a handgun and my FFL was the most reasonable option. He was within 5 bucks of FedEx and cheaper than UPS and he packaged for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 14th, 2017, 10:06 PM
  2. Transferring Handgun to Daughter
    By Hamltnblue in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM
  3. Transferring a handgun...without being there?
    By DreadPirateMoyer in forum Pistols
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
  4. Transferring a handgun to spouse
    By nilsirl in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
  5. question about transferring a handgun
    By Mity2 in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops