Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Wyoming County)

Default 450 Bushmaster 458 Socom 50 Beowulf

I'm in major research phase.

Anybody using any of these monsters?

I just finished yet another AR lower and have a stripped upper collecting dust. Just can't bring myself to spend money on anything else 223/556.

I also already have 300BLK. I'm leaning more towards the .45's The .50 is of little interest to me but someone else might be interested in it.

In my research I landed at Tromix who is apparently an early pioneer in the .458 Socom world. https://tromix.com/

The prices drove me to into further research. Landed at ARF.com and they blasted brands such as Bear Creek, Radical, & KAK because these manufacturers apparently fully remove the bottom lug like pictured below. So my hope of grabbing a $90 BCA barrel kind of went out the window

As opposed to this Tromix barrel

Apparently Hornady teamed up with Bushmaster to create the 450 Bushy, and my Hornady manual has the load data available whereas the Socom data is kind of hard to find.
    It appears to me at this point that 450 Bushy is more common and has "saami" specs, whereas 458 Socom still seems like a wildcat. BUT damn that bottlenecked Socom cartridge looks sexy and allegedly functions fine out of most unmodified AR mags, compared to the straight-walled Bushy that is more finicky.

Anyway, chime in if you got .02 cents - The price which would include yet another caliber and reloading dies means I may or may not dip my toes in the water
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; November 18th, 2019 at 03:24 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685